Streaming Shogun (use spoilers for big story events)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Although maybe a little nit pick that some stuff in the final episode didn't stay true to the actual story but I guess every show or movie based on real life is guilty of that.

Obvious cash-in by FX in a lot of respects, but Hiroyuki Sanada (who produced, as as well as playing Toranaga) seems to be genuinely invested in making sure it's high quality and true to the Japanese history and culture.

As much as I would love for it to be a stand alone, greediness wants at least a season 2. Which focuses on the war battles would be sick.
The show is based on a book by James Clavell. He wrote several books set in Asia, but none of the others are related to the Shogun storyline. It's possible they may try to come up with their own story for a 2nd season, but it's unlikely.

He did write a trilogy of books following the Struan clan - Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, and Noble House. The first & last are set in Hong Kong, the middle book in Japan (albeit 200+ years after Shogun).

Then there's Whirlwind (set in Iran), and King Rat (set in a WWII POW camp in Singapore), neither of which are connected to the other books (other than being set in Asia).

Shogun & Noble House were previously made into mini-series in the 1980s. Shogun starred Richard Chamberlain as Blackthorne, while Noble House starred Pierce Brosnan. The Shogun mini-series was by far the better of the two.

I would like to see Tai-Pan and Gai-Jin made into TV series.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back