September 11 - Annual 'Where were you?' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been to New York twice and I can't remember if I ever went to check out ground zero.

Surely I would have seen it when I was on one of those red hop-on hop-off buses.

Twenty two years later it's become painfully evident that AQ suceeded in it's goals on September 11. The Taliban still control Afghanistan despite twenty years and billions of dollars to try to force change, the Middle East is an even bigger mess and democracy in America is teetering, which I grant is a tenous link but you could point to Homelands Security Act of 2002 as the beginning of America's renewed flirtation with fascism. Looking back you feel like Otto in A Fish Called Wanda trying to argue that Vietnam was a draw.

I've been to New York twice and I can't remember if I ever went to check out ground zero.

Surely I would have seen it when I was on one of those red hop-on hop-off buses.
Ive been twice too- 2003 and 2012.

2003 it still looked like a massive construction site- was very eerie. All the posters of "missing persons" were still up. 2012- memorial was open but not the museum. Missed the latter by only a few months iirc unfortunately.

What they did with the footprints tho was perfect tho. The gardens around the site were done really well also.

It was actually one of the first things we did when we went to NY in 2014. Was more because we had nothing booked for the first day so we got it out of the way, I've always had a weird obsession with 9/11 though, probably the first conspiracy theory I've ever really "looked into".

I was convinced for some time it was a false flag, now I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Yep, a lot of interesting s**t in there. One thing I remember was a paper transcript of the days schedule from the Mayors office, 8am meeting with city heads or whatever, 8:46 something like “all meetings cancelled due to terrorist attack”
I was gutted I missed out on it.

Only able to see the footprints and memorial outside.

Yep, a lot of interesting s**t in there. One thing I remember was a paper transcript of the days schedule from the Mayors office, 8am meeting with city heads or whatever, 8:46 something like “all meetings cancelled due to terrorist attack”
What about the twisted bits of metal?

Crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been to NY twice 2007 and 2015. Went to ground zero 1st time and found it very eerie,2nd time went up the one world tower it was impressive.
Love NY.

Twenty two years later it's become painfully evident that AQ suceeded in it's goals on September 11. The Taliban still control Afghanistan despite twenty years and billions of dollars to try to force change, the Middle East is an even bigger mess and democracy in America is teetering, which I grant is a tenous link but you could point to Homelands Security Act of 2002 as the beginning of America's renewed flirtation with fascism. Looking back you feel like Otto in A Fish Called Wanda trying to argue that Vietnam was a draw.

I don't think it's a tenuous link at all - their country is motivated by fear. I don't want to believe the Jan 6ers are genuinely all racist homophobes, they've just been convinced that they have to be scared all the time.

Was in Bali, I was asleep in my hotel room as a 10 year old and woke up to everyone sitting on my bed watching the footage.

My parents, ironically, were in the Sari Club at time, which was blown to smithereens 1 year, 1 month and 1 day later.

That's how I can remember the Granville train disaster, they cancelled whatever morning television my mother had put me and my brother in front so she could have a peaceful sit down, coffee and f** for rolling coverage.
Granville was a shocker. That 46 on the head end basically didn't have flanges on its wheels.

No wonder it fell off the track.

Been getting some amazing pics of the WTC site/TT's thru my fb feed lately..

386259834_1802218540212645_4741829980311711395_n.jpg

I was playing Super International Cricket on the Super Nintendo at a mate's place by myself, waiting for him to get home from working at the local video store.

It was the first time I'd cracked 1000, with the immortal Ireland/Connor partnership leading the way, along with the Dixon/Borg twins and another Lehmann-esque contribution from Valeri.

Wait, what we're we talking about again?

I was watching it unfold live on Channel 10. Spoke to my late dad the next day, he said he fell asleep on the couch with the tv on, when he woke up he thought it was some disaster movie so turned it off and went to bed.
Went to the site in January, a truly eerie, somber, upsetting experience - but really well done and respectful. Tip: don't be taking 'selfies' or generally carrying on around there, the locals don't like it and rightfully so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back