September 11 - Annual 'Where were you?' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a stupid kid who got on the bandwagon of hating Muslims after 9/11.

Years later, due to experience and smartening up, I stopped being an anti-Muslim *******.

Although Islamic fundamentalism and support for it are in the millions, I still believe that good Muslims far outweigh the problematic ones.

It doesn't mean I don't support stringent vetting measures, though, but I am dubious of the motivations of those who want a ban. Understandable, though.

9/11 changed the world, and unfortunately, I think it's the Middle East that's copped the brunt of the damage since then.
This is one area where I disagree with the mainstream view. IMO, the revenge-driven response is what changed the world. It has also killed far more people, while making the world an even less stable place.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. I was watching the West Wing. Somehow, Mrs Landingham's death seemed more "real" than the images out of NYC. And, from memory, at that stage the images were coming from NYC only. Maybe just the scale of the thing made it hard to take in.
Memory is a bit rusty now, I think TWW episode finished between the first and second hits on the WTC. I do recall quite vividly recognising at as an attack as the second WTC tower was hit. Whichever coverage I was watching caught on to that a little later. After the first strike it still seemed a highly improbable accident.
And, again maybe because I couldn't process the scale, being amazed at how well it was organised as a media event. There was just enough time for all the networks to cross live and get cameras set up pointing at the WTC, then just a couple of minutes before the second plane on that site. It seemed (and still seems) to be timed to maximise the visuals, and resulting fear.
It was only in the minutes and hours that followed that scale of the tragedy started to hit.

The speed, and certainty, with which al-Qaeda were blamed seemed suspicious over the next few days. They were always the most likely candidate, and in the end it does seem it was them. However, there were other organisations capable of such a thing and with the motives.

Year 11 is only 3 terms in NSW. Year 12 runs T4 of one year to T3 of the next.

End of T3, they finish up and just do final exams after the break
yeah it was the same for me in 2006 nsw public school. Although I think term 3 still had a few weeks left. Even Year 12 usually had prom and final assembly in the final term week (which back then was usually Brownlow/AFL Grand Final week). Sep 11 happened between the Week 1 and 2 of the afl finals, so third last week. You might be remembering the atypical prior year 2000 when the school term ended earlier, around the 8th, a week before the opening ceremony. Maybe that factored into an earlier finish for Year 12 in 2001? I can't remember myself given I was year 7. 2001 had a late-ish start too, remember watching the Australian Open final whilst still on summer holidays and that was 28th January.

Last edited:
yeah it was the same for me in 2006 nsw public school. Although I think term 3 still had a few weeks left. Even Year 12 usually had prom and final assembly in the final term week (which back then was usually Brownlow/AFL Grand Final week). Sep 11 happened between the Week 1 and 2 of the afl finals, so third last week. You might be remembering the atypical prior year 2000 when the school term ended earlier, around the 8th, a week before the opening ceremony. Maybe that factored into an earlier finish for Year 12 in 2001? I can't remember myself given I was year 7. 2001 had a late-ish start too, remember watching the Australian Open final whilst still on summer holidays and that was 28th January.
We finished a week earlier than the public schools, but doing the maths now my initial comment still doesn't seem right - I think it must have been the second-last week

Woke up in the morning to get ready for primary school, turned my bedroom TV on to watch Pokemon, the news was on instead. I went and asked my mum why the morning cartoons weren't on and she told me why.
Was Cardcaptors where I was on the east coast. Digimon S2 with the black spires had been the 7am Cheez TV for a chunk of the year, and Cardcaptors recently replaced it in that timeslot (I unfortunately had to catch the school bus post the Garlic Jnr saga of DBZ so couldn't see the rest of that on first broadcast save holidays). I think Pokemon had the 730am slot then, but it was already a few seasons in then and sort of well past the early canon days. I watched Sunrise from 6-7am back then (Paul Salmon was doing some of the sports at that time pre-comeback) and the event was already part over and late afternoon and the interest seemed to be whether the smaller partially damaged WTC3 would collapse. I only really knew the WTC from the King Kong 1976 and a mention or two as the tallest building at the time it opened, but it wasn't an iconic building to me at 12yo like the Empire State or Sears in Chicago were so I wasn't as shook when I first heard they'd come down before seeing images of the planes (the manner of their coming down).

Last edited:
I remember going on a school excursion to see a ballet production at the Sydney Opera House on 9/25 a fortnight after the attacks, so can confirm I was still in school term then. Must have been the day after Akermanis won the Brownlow. I can confirm it because I remember Can't Get You Out of My Head had just debuted at #1 the day before and I heard it for the first time on the radio and some people on the busride already knew all the words. There was a weird vibe in that part of Sydney at the time, a little on edge, and I remember a big laugh when a ballet dancer had a shirt saying the world was all f*cked up. Quite a nice day though.

I can remember being busting to go to the toilet for the entire couple hour return trip and having to wait outside my already closed school in the late afternoon for half an hour until my dad picked me up for swimming training. Was absolute torture, pacing about crazily, felt like my bladder was balloon sized, but survived to the toilet. It might have even been the last session I had with that swimming instructor (of 4 years), as the following two terms I did at a different pool facility across town with a more demanding program (e.g. 300m warm-up and warm-down around the actual lesson).

Last edited:
Was Cardcaptors where I was on the east coast. Digimon S2 with the black spires had been the 7am Cheez TV for a chunk of the year, and Cardcaptors recently replaced it in that timeslot (I unfortunately had to catch the school bus post the Garlic Jnr saga of DBZ so couldn't see the rest of that on first broadcast save holidays). I think Pokemon had the 730am slot then, but it was already a few seasons in then and sort of well past the early canon days. I watched Sunrise from 6-7am back then (Paul Salmon was doing some of the sports at that time pre-comeback) and the event was already part over and late afternoon and the interest seemed to be whether the smaller partially damaged WTC3 would collapse. I only really knew the WTC from the King Kong 1976 and a mention or two as the tallest building at the time it opened, but it wasn't an iconic building to me at 12yo like the Empire State or Sears in Chicago were so I wasn't as shook when I first heard they'd come down before seeing images of the planes (the manner of their coming down).
Yep my knowledge of the WTC itself was from media too. I was too young to understand the significance of the attacks but I remember my parents being on edge that day and the days after.

Also I found a website that has the old Cheez TV episode guides. You're right on the money with the times.

DGAQWinter2020ScreeningRoomManOnWireLookingDown.ashx

dam-online-culture-Man_on_wire_03.gif

The speed, and certainty, with which al-Qaeda were blamed seemed suspicious over the next few days. They were always the most likely candidate, and in the end it does seem it was them. However, there were other organisations capable of such a thing and with the motives.

The FBI/CIA etc had pretty good intel at the time that Al-Qaeda were going to make an attack of some sort on America, they just didnt know how.

As much as i hate terrorism, you have to admit, it was one brilliant idea and they pulled it off. I can watch video's about it and ill end up watching a couple of hours worth, its just enthralling.

To answer the OP, i was watching or waiting to watch talking footy - turned it over the ch.10 and the news was on and there was a tower on fire. Watched it for a few hours, saw the 2nd plane hit live on TV. That was when it went from 'maybe a terrorist/maybe an accident' to 'oh, s**t, we are under attack' on the coverage.

The FBI/CIA etc had pretty good intel at the time that Al-Qaeda were going to make an attack of some sort on America, they just didnt know how.

They also apparently didnt share vital "classified" information between the two departments. Which could have made all the difference.

And absolutely it was brilliant.

In my sick mind I always think about what they might do next- in Australia I thought they would def go after an MCG with 100,000 sitting ducks basically. Or PT.. or something biological/chemical.

As much as i hate terrorism, you have to admit, it was one brilliant idea and they pulled it off. I can watch video's about it and ill end up watching a couple of hours worth, its just enthralling.

To answer the OP, i was watching or waiting to watch talking footy - turned it over the ch.10 and the news was on and there was a tower on fire. Watched it for a few hours, saw the 2nd plane hit live on TV. That was when it went from 'maybe a terrorist/maybe an accident' to 'oh, sh*t, we are under attack' on the coverage.

Correct and as soon as that happened they mentioned Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden I believe. I sort of found it a bit *tin foil hat* funny they immediately knew who it must have been but yeah, appears they knew who was planning something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now it looks like we just got nutbag lone attackers that could be anywhere at any given time.

yeah thats the internet/social media aspect of the world influencing (that was really around in 2001 or as much information out there). People can get access to so much online that they talk themselves into becoming a terrorist and act on it on their own behalf.

Bit like guns and americans who go on shooting sprees. Easy access to guns/information can result in those mentally not right doing dumb and terrible s**t

I watched the first episode of One Day In America doco. It is a collaboration of all the footage on the day. Particularly using the French brothers doco footage inside the lobby of tower where you can hear big thuds. Absolutely heart wrenching. Highly recommend. Be prepared for some confronting scenes.

Just watched a similar doco on ABC iview , which is just a timeline of peoples footage on the streets and in the buildings.

People seemed to hang around after both towers got hit, like they were not expecting them to eventually collapse.

Just watched a similar doco on ABC iview , which is just a timeline of peoples footage on the streets and in the buildings.

People seemed to hang around after both towers got hit, like they were not expecting them to eventually collapse.
I suspect there's a fair bit of truth there. Seeing the first tower fall was a massive shock.

I suspect there's a fair bit of truth there. Seeing the first tower fall was a massive shock.
There was what appeared to be a great doco on SBS recently, focusing on the twin towers from when they were designed, constructed to 9/11. Missed most of it tho, only caught the final 20 minutes. I need to watch the whole thing on Demand.

There was what appeared to be a great doco on SBS recently, focusing on the twin towers from when they were designed, constructed to 9/11. Missed most of it tho, only caught the final 20 minutes. I need to watch the whole thing on Demand.

I watched it and it was an interesting doco, they talked about how the design of the twin towers contributed to the disaster on 9/11 but they never would have predicted that terrorists would deliberately fly a couple of airliners into them when they designed them back in the 1960s.

I don't remember the platform but there was a real time spliced together doco that may have been the best I've seen. Haunting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back