SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd think with AFL Outer East losing clubs left right and centre they'd want to do everything they could to keep alive the clubs that want to stay.
Who knows what the outer east officials are thinking.
What's the end game going to be with this competition
Does it return to the old format possibly.
Probably won't be enough clubs for two divisions though
Does it cease to exist as a competition in a few years and clubs merge with the EFNL maybe, interesting couple of years coming.

Great work by Yea footy club who had an intraclub game with 2 full squads of 22 players for each side.
To get two full sides on the ground after not playing last year is a wonderful achievement, congratulations to committee, coaches, players and everyone involved.
I hope the tigers can get a few wins on the board as well

Fantastic effort to all involved. Also scrolling through their signings on Facebook there looks to be some quality players on their list

You'd think with AFL Outer East losing clubs left right and centre they'd want to do everything they could to keep alive the clubs that want to stay.

Yes to an extent. What’s the tipping point though when the push to prop up a club jeopardises the others.

Who knows what the outer east officials are thinking.
What's the end game going to be with this competition
Does it return to the old format possibly.
Probably won't be enough clubs for two divisions though
Does it cease to exist as a competition in a few years and clubs merge with the EFNL maybe, interesting couple of years coming.

Long term I see Alex & Yea leaving to go somewhere north/north-west and the EFNL taking over the rest of the comp but with geographical divisions (or single division) for the clubs that don’t want to actually move to Eastern.

Long term I see Alex & Yea leaving to go somewhere north/north-west and the EFNL taking over the rest of the comp but with geographical divisions (or single division) for the clubs that don’t want to actually move to Eastern.

Why would Eastern take clubs that don’t want to be in it? Surely they would have seem the disaster that has happened in Outer East with clubs in that situation & say no thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would Eastern take clubs that don’t want to be in it? Surely they would have seem the disaster that has happened in Outer East with clubs in that situation & say no thanks

I think it’s more a case that in the future (and I’m talking 10-20 years rather than 3-5) AFLOE won’t be viable as a standalone competition and will end up being absorbed by Eastern as the geographically closest competition to them.
Whether that absorption is traditional (all the OE clubs joining in the current EFNL divisions) or they have their own separate division idk.

If a club like Powelltown being allowed to only field a senior team and not a reserves team is a tipping point for other clubs, the whole competition will be dead within the decade.

For the sake of the discussion first round Yarra Junction host Powelltown. They field one team and a netball side. How exactly do Yarra Junction at best break even for the day.

Player payments umpires footballs match fees maybe a canteen manager trainers all have to be payed.

How do Powelltown with one team or any club host 8 games in the season themselves and break even for the year.

Last edited:

The Eastern hierarchy would take them all in a heartbeat as they’re obsessed with endless expansion, but it’s up to the clubs to vote them in. Sniffing the winds, EFNL clubs might have finally had enough of expansion after 20 odd years of it (some good and some pretty stupid).

You could have a pretty good YVMDFL if there was any leadership at the top looking after local footy rather than clubs and leagues all fighting to poach each other. Silvan in the EFNL is a joke, I reckon Lilydale and Coldstream are probably better suited there too. South Belgrave is another.

Any league will fall away if you keep removing clubs from it.

For the sake of the discussion first round Yarra Junction host Powelltown. They field one team and a netball side. How exactly do Yarra Junction at best break even for the day.

Player payments umpires footballs match fees maybe a canteen manager trainers all have to be payed.

How do Powelltown with one team or any club host 8 games in the season themselves and break even for the year.
Having seen crowd sizes for reserves games across a range of EFL and Outer East FL clubs and divisions, I would be shocked if the reserves were drawing enough of a crowd to make a significant enough difference to the income of a club that it would have an impact on their financial viability. And again, if it would, there's much bigger issues at hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having seen crowd sizes for reserves games across a range of EFL and Outer East FL clubs and divisions, I would be shocked if the reserves were drawing enough of a crowd to make a significant enough difference to the income of a club that it would have an impact on their financial viability. And again, if it would, there's much bigger issues at hand.

Another 22 players through the gate that may bring partners or friends.
Home teams 22 players plus followers.

Just say that’s 50 people all spend $20 for the day plus gate it’s $1500 in revenue.

Another 22 players through the gate that may bring partners or friends.
Home teams 22 players plus followers.

Just say that’s 50 people all spend $20 for the day plus gate it’s $1500 in revenue.
Minus every player that doubles up across ressies and seniors. Minus those who fill in for the reserves but would still watch the seniors regardless. Minus those who don't spend a cent at the canteen or the bar. Minus those who don't need to pay at the gate. Minus those who avoid paying at the gate. Minus expenses from playing a reserves game. Minus expenses of canteen, bar, etc.

You'd still rather be able to field a reserves team for sure. It's just not going to break your budget if you don't unless you've got severe systemic issues at the club in the first place.

Minus every player that doubles up across ressies and seniors. Minus those who fill in for the reserves but would still watch the seniors regardless. Minus those who don't spend a cent at the canteen or the bar. Minus those who don't need to pay at the gate. Minus those who avoid paying at the gate. Minus expenses from playing a reserves game. Minus expenses of canteen, bar, etc.

You'd still rather be able to field a reserves team for sure. It's just not going to break your budget if you don't unless you've got severe systemic issues at the club in the first place.

Half your membership gone also.

Remember the Shire charge you the same no matter how many teams you have.

Trainers tape power water all still need to be covered.

he new-look Division 1 of Outer East league has so many elements of excitement this season.
Ex-AFL man Aaron Edwards is set to ignite Healesville’s forward line, Seville looks stronger than ever after regaining key players including Rob Petracca, Alexandra is primed for another strong season and Yea’s return after a year in recess is the good news story of local footy.

The first bounce of the 2024 season on Saturday can’t come quick enough.

Here’s how all nine clubs shape up.

Alexandra is set for a strong season. Picture: Facebook

Alexandra is set for a strong season. Picture: Facebook
ALEXANDRA

Coach:
Nick Wal

Captain: Ted Watkin

Last year: 13-4 Runners-up in Division 2

In: Josh Edwards (Old Scotch), Lachie Aikman (Old Xavs), Nate Georgiadis (Heathmont), Jordan Rice (Coldstream), Tom Halligan (Bonnie Doon), Luke Spence

Out: Ben Gunning (Lancefield), Riley Watson (Wagin), David Ray (Wattle Park), Jordy Laurie-Rhodes (St Kilda City), Brayden Norris (last season’s captain, retired), Ryley Norris (retired), Jon Noy

Coach says: “After a season of great improvement last year our players returned to pre-season with a solid commitment to see this continue. We’re fit, hungry and ready to embrace the challenge of taking on the other clubs in a really competitive division. I’m happy with our preparations and am confident we’ll be a hard side to beat.’’

Josh Pemberton has joined Belgrave.

Josh Pemberton has joined Belgrave.
BELGRAVE

Coach:
Darren Hamilton

Captain: Liam Pemberton

Last year: 2-13 in Division 1

In: Andrew Kaldawi (Waverley Blues), Jesse Booth (Dalyston), Nicolaas Domanski (Bruthen), Andrew Cunningham (Officer), Josh Pemberton (Wantirna South), Jake O’Neill (Boronia), Jordan Roger (Upper Ferntree Gully), Aaron Green (Endeavour Hills), Zac Walden (Canterbury), Nathan Power (Narre Warren), Benjamin Holland (Rowville Hawks), Zachary Prizmic (Boronia), Joshua Brown (Berwick), Ryley Pentland (Ferntree Gully Eagles)

Out: Nathan Zietz (Upwey Tecoma), James Somervaille (Upwey Tecoma), Bailey Werle (Fairpark)

Coach says: “We are on to the start of our three-year build and have picked up some good quality young players so hoping to be a lot more competitive this year with the new restructure of the league.’’

[PLAYERCARD]Aaron Edwards[/PLAYERCARD] will be the go-to forward for Healesville. Picture: George Sal

Aaron Edwards will be the go-to forward for Healesville. Picture: George Sal
HEALESVILLE

Coach:
Ryan Webster

Captain: to be announced on Thursday

Last year: 10-7 in Division 1

In: Aaron Edwards (Pines), Hayden Watkins (Bonnie Doon), Steve Watkins (Coldstream), Bayden Carstens (Lyndhurst), Luke Chandler (Yarra Junction), Tom Cigetic (Nar Nar Goon), Patrick Murray (Wangaratta Rovers)

Out: Sam Gebert (East Ringwood), Cameron Nyko (Montmorency), Nick Gilbee (Yea), Lochie Oliver (East Ringwood), Billy Athanasopoulos (Lilydale), Reece Hargreaves (Yea)

Coach says: “We have based our pre season on strengthening the foundations we laid last season as a team. If we can continue to execute our game style consistently, then we will be very competitive.’’

POWELLTOWN

Coach:
Ben Wratten

Captains: Nathan Moody and Josh Johnson

Last year: 15-3 Premiers in Division 2

In: Chris Betka (The Basin), Jackson Ford (Norwood), Dustin Pearson (Woori Yallock), Connor Wishart (Kilsyth), Matt White (Frankston Dolphins)

Out: Joel Perry (The Basin), Dylan Sverns, Gary Conyers, Brock Castree, Jake Sherriff, Jarrod Bayliss (Coldstream), Justin van Unen (Kilsyth), Jarrod Dobson (Silvan), Sam Meadows (Kilsyth), Josh Taylor (Narre Warren), Liam Hunt (Forest Hill), Chris Fowkes, Michael Fowkes, Jayden Fowkes (Silvan), Chris Moreland (Alvie), Russell Cowan (Upper Ferntree Gully)

Coach says: “Looking forward to the challenge. Will be a lot different look then recent years but we are still positive that we can be competitive. We still have a committed and uniformed group that have all stood by the club and each other and that’s all I can ask. A group of players that care about one another and anything can happen on the day. It’s about keeping the club alive and enjoying our time together. A lot of talent still left and a few have come through the door and keen for the year.’’

SEVILLE

Coach:
Shaun Wilson

Captain: Jack Nolan

Last year: 9-8 in Division 1

In: Anthony Bernardo (Officer), Kydan Wilson (Mount Evelyn), Jed Lodge (Wandin), Tristen O’Neill (Woori Yallock), Matthew Robinson (Vermont), Matthew Graham (Croydon), Phil Muscara (Mitcham), Rob Petracca (returning), Justin Myers (returning), Brendan Dickinson (returning)

Out: Alex Condello (Croydon North), Andrew Condello (Croydon North)

Coach says: “I’m hoping we have a pretty good year, we’ve got pretty much exactly the same team as last year, plus a couple of new players and some who have come back. I think we should have a pretty good year. I just want to improve on what we did last year to be honest with you.”

WARBURTON MILLGROVE

Coach:
James Iacono

Captains: Jack Lee and Nelson Aldridge

Last year: 12-5 in Division 2

In: Jake Byrush (Maribyrnong Park), Lachlan Hewitt (South Croydon), David Lever (Hervey Bay Bombers)

Out: Pat Huynh, Brady Mitchell, Joshua Read

Coach says: “We are excited to be playing new teams this season with the divisions consolidating. We are aiming as a club to continue to develop our young list, be successful off field which then hopefully correlates to us being competitive on field. It’s a bit of an unknown going into the season and that’s what makes it exciting.”

Sam Wood will captain Yarra Glen. Picture: Facebook

Sam Wood will captain Yarra Glen. Picture: Facebook
YARRA GLEN

Coach:
Dean Williams

Captain: Sam Wood

Last year: 6-9 in Division 2

In: Ky Hawkins (Woori Yallock), Noah Battle (Croydon), Nate Capuano (Mooroolbark), Kyle Kime (Hallam), Blayke Lewis (Bacchus Marsh), Jack Ringland (The Basin), Taylor Bryans (Lyndhurst), Luke Harris (Kinglake), Byron Condon (Mooroolbark)

Out: Billy Gardner (Whitsunday Sea Eagles), Max Forbes (Lyndale)

Coach says: “We’re a fitter, stronger side, and we’ve had a very good pre-season. We’re still a young side with a lot of work in progress. They’re definitely going to make mistakes along the way. It’s just a matter of sustaining the pressure for four quarters.’’

Yarra Junction's Leigh Mccombe. Picture: Supplied.

Yarra Junction's Leigh Mccombe. Picture: Supplied.
YARRA JUNCTION

Coach:
Leigh McCombe

Captains: Sam Morton and Brayden Mead

Last year: 1-14 in Division 2

In: Joshua Read (Warburton Millgrove), Stephen Naylor (Forest Hill), James Crawford (Chirnside Park), Leigh McCombe (North Ringwood), Rhys Allen (Coldstream), Cooper Foulis (Mount Evelyn), Chris De Jager (Park Orchards), Troy Walkley (Park Orchards)

Out: Ewan Wadsworth (Emerald), Jake Cawsey, Dylan Cawsey (Upper Ferntree Gully)

Coach says: “We’re hoping to find some consistency and be competitive. That’s about it really because we won one game last year. Our goal is to build our club back up to where it should be.’’

Tyler Faulkner (right) in action for Blackburn. He’s joined Yea in 2024. Picture: Hamish Blair

Tyler Faulkner (right) in action for Blackburn. He’s joined Yea in 2024. Picture: Hamish Blair
YEA

Coach:
Mitch Skelly

Captain: Patrick Evans

Vice captain: Jack Christie

Last year: didn’t play

In: Tyler Faulkner (Blackburn), Josh Buxton (Forest Hill), Nathan Anstey (Yarraville Seddon Eagles), Blake Seeley (Ferntree Gully Eagles), Hayden Gilmore (Glengarry), Ben Sandells (Forest Hill), Reece Hargreaves (Healesville), Jack Christie, Joey Bennett

Coach says: “It’s just exciting that we’re back on the park. It might take us a few weeks to build into the season but we’re really confident that once we get everybody on the park we’ll be a hard team to beat.’’

ROUND 1, Saturday: Yarra Junction v Powelltown, Alexandra v Yea, Seville v Warburton Millgrove, Yarra Glen v Belgrave. Bye: Healesville

Interesting only 3 listed outs from Warburton, I believed there was more. Possible I’m wrong? Anyone got any information?

Interesting only 3 listed outs from Warburton, I believed there was more. Possible I’m wrong? Anyone got any information?

I'd suggest a quick look at the transfer list is what they've done. Spoke to a few of their boys at the EFL last week and they said they had only lost a couple of senior players. Just weren't sure on the availability of a couple of boys at Eastern.

Tom Kelly Mirboo North
Christian Toy Echuca
Kane McDonald Powelltown

These three also departing looking at the board.

Would be interesting to see if the blokes that got shafted come finals time last year come back to fill some holes that the departed players left, they may have lost only a few but really have recruited basically nobody

Would be interesting to see if the blokes that got shafted come finals time last year come back to fill some holes that the departed players left, they may have lost only a few but really have recruited basically nobody

Have no idea although you'd say depending on the person I guess. Always the risk when playing finals the players that miss out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back