Season 2013 Bendigo FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How will Sandhurst fair in 2013?

The recruitment of Ben Anderson, Tim Martin & Ryan Haythorpe certainly won't do the Dragons any harm. If they retain Tom McCarthy they will field their tallest side for many years - especially if Sam McGee plays again. Does anyone know his intentions?

I personally don't want to see Kyneton lost to the BFNL but they just cannot continue on getting belted season after season. In my opinion they should consider a merger with Castlemaine as, apart from Kyneton making the finals under Peter Wood in 2003, I cannot recall either club making the finals since the 1990's. Whether you like this idea or not, something has to change if both these clubs are to remain in the BFNL (and offer their supporters something to watch).

The recruitment of Ben Anderson, Tim Martin & Ryan Haythorpe certainly won't do the Dragons any harm. If they retain Tom McCarthy they will field their tallest side for many years - especially if Sam McGee plays again. Does anyone know his intentions?

I personally don't want to see Kyneton lost to the BFNL but they just cannot continue on getting belted season after season. In my opinion they should consider a merger with Castlemaine as, apart from Kyneton making the finals under Peter Wood in 2003, I cannot recall either club making the finals since the 1990's. Whether you like this idea or not, something has to change if both these clubs are to remain in the BFNL (and offer their supporters something to watch).

Not a lot to gain by joining 2 struggling clubs. The most successful mergers I have seen have been where a club that has battled on field has joined with a stronger on field club. Having said this there is a bit of optimism around Castlemaine this season isn't there

Albie --- Maine made the finals in 2005. 12 wins, 8 losses
Unfortunately went out in straight sets. Lost to E'hawk in Qual final then 2 South in the First semi.

Chopper Jardine won club b & f while Ollie Oliver became only other BFL player besides Ron Best to roost 1,000 goals.
In final round he snagged 13 v Square --- needing five to reach the 4 figures he got those in 1st term. And then kept going.
Ollie got 72 overall for the season

Albie --- Maine made the finals in 2005. 12 wins, 8 losses
Unfortunately went out in straight sets. Lost to E'hawk in Qual final then 2 South in the First semi.

Chopper Jardine won club b & f while Ollie Oliver became only other BFL player besides Ron Best to roost 1,000 goals.
In final round he snagged 13 v Square --- needing five to reach the 4 figures he got those in 1st term. And then kept going.
Ollie got 72 overall for the season

To 'fifth quarter' and 'Roota#6'

Good to get your comment. You guys both have sound local knowledge. Where do you see the future of both Castlemaine and Kyneton if present trends (lack of success) continue?

Maybe clubs like Trentham, Maldon etc need to be brought into the equation? They are tiny and might have an older population? Are they impacting on Kyneton and Castlemaine - dragging players out of the bigger towns? Or are those players not up to the standard required? Is it that their local junior development structures not good enough?

Maybe clubs like Trentham, Maldon etc need to be brought into the equation? They are tiny and might have an older population? Are they impacting on Kyneton and Castlemaine - dragging players out of the bigger towns? Or are those players not up to the standard required? Is it that their local junior development structures not good enough?

I reckon you may have hit on something here. My opinion is that in modern country footy there are just too many clubs. You look at how many clubs are in close proximity to a kyneton or even have a look at what happening over in Maryborough. Sure in the old days there were enough people in the towns or areas to sustain them but it is obvious that this is not the case anymore

And they will argue "community" needs it. I would argue that the team is not representative of their "community". There is a club in southern NSW called Billabong Crows! Who? What? Where? They joined 3 clubs i think. You'll find that those small clubs are just keeping something alive from so many years ago and sometimes it can be funded by a small group of financial individuals holding on to something that is no longer actually there. Not picking on Maldon or Trentham, but didn't see a local footballer down the street when i was there last. Dry up some options and blokes might stay put at the Kynetons and Castlemaines a bit more and become a fixture around the club. Imagine a bloke playing 200 reserves games and some senior games at his local club. Don't get me started. Yeah lots of options around Maryborough.

Absolutely too many clubs. They are a shadow of their former selves too. How many players at Maldon or Trentham (just examples) live in the town and are a part of the "community"? Some of the most successful clubs in bush footy rely on a mini bus of players to come out!! They then say how great their team is - look at the flags we've won. Truth be known the team is not actually their team it is simply a collection of imports. Major league clubs might be ok as it is more of a professional scene, but small clubs like say Newstead and the like - please! Imagine trying to coach Maryborough's reserves with all the options around there! That is why the world is the current day footballer's oyster. Screw down the number of clubs and do it in the next 5 years and some problems will disappear.

I reckon you may have hit on something here. My opinion is that in modern country footy there are just too many clubs. You look at how many clubs are in close proximity to a kyneton or even have a look at what happening over in Maryborough. Sure in the old days there were enough people in the towns or areas to sustain them but it is obvious that this is not the case anymore

To me this supports the case for mergers. For example in the BFNL I think a 'Castlemaine-Kyneton' team coached by say Derrick Filo and captained by Brodie Filo would add massive interest to the competition. In Maryborough's situation what would be wrong with a merged team representing them in the reserves?

OK you may or may not agree with me but, taking the BFNL as an example, I don't think its CEO & Board should let let things drift on in an aimless manner. That is how Echuca & Rochester were lost when they briefly went through rough patches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - AlburyE - And then you get a town like Bunningyong - growing big time - who have just signed Eddie Pratto (ex Bulldogs)where an old tired club like Sebastopol look on in bewilderment! Things need to change big time in country footy.

Agree - AlburyE - And then you get a town like Bunningyong - growing big time - who have just signed Eddie Pratto (ex Bulldogs)where an old tired club like Sebastopol look on in bewilderment! Things need to change big time in country footy.

Sebastopol have been down a long time haven't they.

Rdfl time. They will win games which will help with bigger crowds, keeping players, attracting players and more revenue. A Woodend V Kyneton game would attract more people than any Kyneton Bfl game. 50k will complete in the rdfl - double that to compete in the Bfl.

Rdfl time. They will win games which will help with bigger crowds, keeping players, attracting players and more revenue. A Woodend V Kyneton game would attract more people than any Kyneton Bfl game. 50k will complete in the rdfl - double that to compete in the Bfl.

Mufassa, you know that $50k would not get near finals in the minor ranked RDFL these days ..... as do I :(

Mufassa, you know that $50k would not get near finals in the minor ranked RDFL these days ..... as do I :(
Competitive would be a great start before looking at finals. 5 teams won 5 games or less in the Rdfl - I would be surprised if they were above 50k in payments. 7 wins would be a great result for where Kyneton have been in the last 5 years. Rdfl crowds are also much bigger - would not take Kyneton long to push payments up to 80k for a tilt at a flag.

Competitive would be a great start before looking at finals. 5 teams won 5 games or less in the Rdfl - I would be surprised if they were above 50k in payments. 7 wins would be a great result for where Kyneton have been in the last 5 years. Rdfl crowds are also much bigger - would not take Kyneton long to push payments up to 80k for a tilt at a flag.

One of those were (not my mob), and 6th and 7th well and truly were. Not about that, I 100% concur with your thinking. In 2005 I coached in a comp that folded, the fear of the unknown etc was terrible for small country towns/communities. One of those clubs has tipped over and no country footy fan wants more clubs to face similar fate.
We have a couple of Kyneton based guys come thru work occasionally and as much as they love the Bendigo FL they'd rather see the club drop back a cog and remain open for business rather than close its doors forever. We were at Kyneton for the races on Sunday, and talking to a few locals who are passionate I just hope for everyone involved you's can plug away for 2013, field teams no matter what and explore your long term options beyond this season from as early as now.

Good Luck :thumbsu:

One of those were (not my mob), and 6th and 7th well and truly were. Not about that, I 100% concur with your thinking. In 2005 I coached in a comp that folded, the fear of the unknown etc was terrible for small country towns/communities. One of those clubs has tipped over and no country footy fan wants more clubs to face similar fate.
We have a couple of Kyneton based guys come thru work occasionally and as much as they love the Bendigo FL they'd rather see the club drop back a cog and remain open for business rather than close its doors forever. We were at Kyneton for the races on Sunday, and talking to a few locals who are passionate I just hope for everyone involved you's can plug away for 2013, field teams no matter what and explore your long term options beyond this season from as early as now.

Good Luck :thumbsu:
50k is 15 players on around $200. I would be amazed if Lancefield or Rockbank were close to this. I might be way off but I thought the top clubs were now approx 80k. Anyway Kyneton would only need an extra 200 people to games to get 2,000 in gate plus booze and food. Rdfl crowds are fantastic and I think I am being conservative with an extra 200. Woodend would get an extra 500. I think Kyneton could thrive and not have the pressure of competing with 120k bank accounts. End of the day if Kyneton offer a player $500 and Gisborne offer them $500 where would you want to play? A team that gets flogged each week or one that just played in a Grand Final?? So now Kyneton have to pay overs to get players. And they don't stay long. Start winning and that changes. Look at the Sunbury Kangaroos. Fish, Cuffe, Meeach all stayed because winning is fun.

Rdfl crowds are fantastic and I think I am being conservative with an extra 200. Woodend would get an extra 500. I think Kyneton could thrive and not have the pressure of competing with 120k (plus) bank accounts. End of the day if Kyneton offer a player $500 and Gisborne offer them $500 where would you want to play? A team that gets flogged each week or one that just played in a Grand Final?? So now Kyneton have to pay overs to get players. And they don't stay long. Start winning and that changes. Look at the Sunbury Kangaroos. Fish, Cuffe, Meeach all stayed because winning is fun.

Spot on :thumbsu:

Both kyneton and castlemaine now have strong tourism venturing to the towns, ad well as tree changers moving to the area, however it would appear from the outside that these people have little interest or time to support their football clubs becoming successful.
Where to for the bfL if the 3out of town clubs leave? Is this problem for all major leagues in the vcfl as many clubs have stagnated and stayed at the bottom for long periods.
Will their need to be a reshape of reserves footy to combat with the loss of guys playing footy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back