News Scott Lycett signs with Port Districts

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t he have a manageable jag which became a full-blown ‘ruh roh’ after chasing a thief down his street barefoot in the middle of the night?

You couldn’t make it up.
Jesus I'd forgotten that.

Yeah some real 20:20 hindsight here. Ryder looked cooked before he left us. Including doing an Achilles which is a real old man injury. Lycett was decent in his first couple of seasons and fell off the cliff physically much sooner than usually happens for rucks.

He shouldn't be anywhere near our list next year, but it wasn't a shocking list management call

Also broke down injured after St Kilda's first final in 2020 despite the short season and quarters in the Covid year and missing a few games during the year.

Ironically he missed the final against Richmond that the Saints lost by 5 goals.

Would be weird if, on the 0.5% chance, he wins us a Premiership, then leaves for another club, exactly as he left WC after winning one there.

Bell Park? There's no way any other AFL club wants Scott lycett. He's the worst of the worst going around

It’s understood Port Adelaide has offered Scott Lycett a significantly reduced contract as the Power circle another star ruckman.

SEN SA’s Michelangelo Rucci revealed the news on SEN SA’s The Run Home, suggesting Lycett shouldn’t put pen to paper on those terms.

Lycett comes out of contract this year. The 30-year-old has battled injuries across the past two years and hasn’t been selected since Round 19. He’s set to line up in the SANFL on Sunday.

It comes after reported interest from the Power in Melbourne’s Brodie Grundy.

“Scott Lycett’s offer from Port Adelaide is one you cannot sign,” Rucci began.

“You wouldn’t sign it, I wouldn’t sign it and Scott certainly shouldn’t sign it.
Staggered we are offering any contract to be honest

If Lycett were injury free he would be a keeper but he isn't. At almost 31, Scott is too injury prone and we are never sure if he will be available from one week to the next. On that basis we should go full tilt at Brodie Grundy and leave Scott to decide if he wants to be a backup ruckman. If not and he leaves I am fine with that.

If I was getting even $100k a year to be on an AFL list despite proving beyond a shadow of a doubt for the past two years that I shouldn't be on one, I'd absolutely sign it.

If Collingwood are interested, I could see them giving him 200k to be an experienced backup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone will offer a couple of years.
North
Swans
Collingwood already alleged interest.
I could see someone with a thin ruck division giving him a year or so on min $'s. No one is giving up any draft capital for him though.

I could see someone with a thin ruck division giving him a year or so on min $'s. No one is giving up any draft capital for him though.

He's actually an ok ruck and we'll see that on Saturday night. Someone competive who can run someone like Mcinerney around the ground is getting a job elsewhere.

Was under the impression he was a free agent but if he's not then a early 3rd round pick wouldn't be a bad get.

I've been banging on about the importance of centre clearances so tonight I decided to do a breakdown of each centre clearance. I made some notes as I went, which you can read here.

Centre bounces Q1

1 Lycett, ruck free against for high

2 Finlayson loses the tap, free kick to wines for a push in the back

3 Lycett, Breakeven, to another stoppage

4 Lycett, no hit-out, it bounces, Drew spins out for a good quality clearance inside 50, Lord sharks and goals

5 Lycett, loses the hitout, clean clearance for Brisbane. Q2

6 Lycett, loses the hitout, we get close but it ends up in another stoppage Lycett off with a blood rule 7 Finlayson(I think), clear tap loss, scrappy clearance for Brisbane

8 Lycett, wins the tap cleanly to Rozee, quick handball, JHF gets caught HTB

9 Lycett tap forward to space, Brisbane scrappy hack forward

10 Finlayson, Clear tap loss, deep clearance for Brisbane.

11 Finlayson, gets a tap, handball chain to good clearance for us.

12 Lycett, no clear hitout, immediate stoppage

13 Lycett, no clear hitout, immediate stoppage

14 Lycett, McInerney hitout, Lycett takes it then handballs it to a Lions player, deep Brisbane clearance

15 Lycett, gets the tap to a Brisbane player, Brisbane get a scrappy but deep clearance

Q3

16 Lycett, lose a scrappy hitout but work out a scrappy, contested clearance, quick sharked goal

17 Lycett, hitout to Drew who is swarmed, gets it out but it ends up in another stoppage.

18 Finlayson, no clear hitout winner, Brisbane get a short kick to a mark followed by a long kick inside 50 for another mark and goal

19 Finlayson, McInerney takes it out of the ruck, gets a clear clearance himself, Brisbane goal quickly from the I50

20 Lycett, McInerney hitout, scrappy play before we end up with a free, go forward quickly, Marshall free, set shot and goal

21 Lycett, gets the hitout forward of the bounce, to a Brisbane player who is wrapped up for a stoppage

22 Lycett, no clear hitout but McInerney gets it forward to a Port player who kicks to a contest at half forward.

23 Lycett, gets a clean hitout to Rozee who gets held, free for us which we get quickly deep inside 50

24 Lycett, clear tap to Rozee who handballs over his head to Farrell, deep clearance

25 Lycett, loses the hitout, Wines gets a soccered clearance

26 Lycett, loses the hitout but sharks the ball, we get a scrappy hack forward clearance

27 Lycett, gets the hitout but nothing on it, bounces to Neale, deep clearance for Brisbane, quick goal 28 Lycett, gets the hitout to no one really, Lions player takes it, another stoppage

Q4 29 Lycett, bad bounce to his advantage lands in his lap, gets a clear bomb forward clearance himself which is quickly rebounded.

30 Finlayson, catastrophic hitout loss, punched forward to a handball chain for Brisbane who run in and goal

31 Finlayson, loses the hitout, scrappy play before Brisbane get a deep clearance

Brisbane with their best score from stoppages performance of the season with 12 minutes to go in the last. Lol. You can't make this up.

32 Finlayson, loses a scrappy hitout but it goes to Butters who works it out, we get it in forward quickly and goal

33 Finlayson, loses the hitout, which is clean to a Brisbane player Brisbane end up with a scrappy clearance

34 Lycett, loses the hitout, Brisbane get a soft-but-there free for holding and a deep clearance for a mark inside 50.

I broke each contest down to a clear won hitout, no clear hitout winner and a clear lost hitout. I then broke them down to a definitive clearance win, a scrappy clearance win, a stoppage, a definitive loss or a scrappy loss. Basically, a definitive win is a relatively unpressured long kick either inside 50 or too a mark, a scrappy clearance is a hack forward. I included free kicks as a definitive clearance and a ruck free as a hitout win even if it's not technically, it's a contest the ruckman has clearly won leading to a clearly won clearance.

There were 34 centre bounces, Lycett took 24 and Finlayson took 10.

From Lycett's stoppages we had 9 clearance wins, 7 additional stoppages and 8 clearance losses.
From Finlayson's stoppages we had 3 clearance wins, 0 additional stoppages and 7 clearance losses.

Lycett had 3 marked down as hitout wins leading to a definitive clearance. One was a free kick to Rozee for a hold, and one was a bad bounce that fell in his lap and he bombed it forward. That's just one definitive clearance directly from a good piece of tapwork Lycett, and its the one that went to Rozee who handballed it over his head to (I think) Farrell for a very clean inside 50.

Lycett forced a lot of stoppages with his tackling work, 7 in total from his ruckwork, notably only 1 of them was where he lost the tap, he had 3 stoppages when winning the tap and then 3 when there wasn't a clear winner. We also had 6 clearances when Lycett failed to win the hitout, so I guess if you want a competitor and not a tap ruckman, this is what what you get.

Lycett had 6 definitive lost clearances, with 4 of them coming from lost hitouts.

We had 3 definitive clearances when Finlayson was rucking, but only 1 was from his hitout. Finlayson also struggled to compete generally, he didn't force any stoppages at all and lost 7 clearances, 5 of them definitive wins. We either basically got a clean clearance out or lost pretty comprehensively.

Overall I think Lycett had an okay game at the centre clearances in basically what we know he can do, be a competitive beast and not get dominated too baddly. McInerney had some good moments but didn't totally kill us. Lycett will end up with i'm guessing a lot of hitouts to advantage, I haven't checked the stats, but what was he actually doing with those hitouts? Were they turning into good clearances? No, they weren't. He only had 1 clear hitout that went down the throat of a teammate leading to us marching away from the contest.

I also note that Brisbane recorded their highest score from stoppages in for the season tonight.

Given the fact that despite having 3 of cleanest inside/outside mids in the league, you'd really hope that we could manage more than 2 clean hitouts to definitive clearances in 24 ruck contests. Centre bounces are when Rozee, Butters and JHF have got acres of space and the 6,6,6 stops teams from flooding back against us, we are burning great opportunities to take advantage of that by playing a scragger ruckman.

And is it even working that well defensively? No, it's not. As I said, Brisbane had their most scores from stoppages for the season tonight (more than against West Coast or North), and from someone who was specifically monitoring then, their "clean" clearances were generally a lot cleaner than ours. Handball chains running inside 50, hitting targets inside 50. A lot of ours were just bombs forward.

Grundy is obviously a priority and Lycett won't get dropped, but continuing to pick a scragger ruckman has hurt us for years and continues to hurt us. If we had the 10th best ruckman in the league we'd be absolutely dominant from stoppages.

I've been banging on about the importance of centre clearances so tonight I decided to do a breakdown of each centre clearance. I made some notes as I went, which you can read here.

Centre bounces Q1

4 Lycett, no hit-out, it bounces, Drew spins out for a good quality clearance inside 50, Lord sharks and goals

6 Lycett, loses the hitout, we get close but it ends up in another stoppage Lycett off with a blood rule 7 Finlayson(I think), clear tap loss, scrappy clearance for Brisbane

14 Lycett, McInerney hitout, Lycett takes it then handballs it to a Lions player, deep Brisbane clearance

15 Lycett, gets the tap to a Brisbane player, Brisbane get a scrappy but deep clearance

Q3

16 Lycett, lose a scrappy hitout but work out a scrappy, contested clearance, quick sharked goal

17 Lycett, hitout to Drew who is swarmed, gets it out but it ends up in another stoppage.

18 Finlayson, no clear hitout winner, Brisbane get a short kick to a mark followed by a long kick inside 50 for another mark and goal

19 Finlayson, McInerney takes it out of the ruck, gets a clear clearance himself, Brisbane goal quickly from the I50

20 Lycett, McInerney hitout, scrappy play before we end up with a free, go forward quickly, Marshall free, set shot and goal

21 Lycett, gets the hitout forward of the bounce, to a Brisbane player who is wrapped up for a stoppage

22 Lycett, no clear hitout but McInerney gets it forward to a Port player who kicks to a contest at half forward.

23 Lycett, gets a clean hitout to Rozee who gets held, free for us which we get quickly deep inside 50

24 Lycett, clear tap to Rozee who handballs over his head to Farrell, deep clearance

26 Lycett, loses the hitout but sharks the ball, we get a scrappy hack forward clearance

27 Lycett, gets the hitout but nothing on it, bounces to Neale, deep clearance for Brisbane, quick goal 28 Lycett, gets the hitout to no one really, Lions player takes it, another stoppage

Q4 29 Lycett, bad bounce to his advantage lands in his lap, gets a clear bomb forward clearance himself which is quickly rebounded.

30 Finlayson, catastrophic hitout loss, punched forward to a handball chain for Brisbane who run in and goal

31 Finlayson, loses the hitout, scrappy play before Brisbane get a deep clearance

Brisbane with their best score from stoppages performance of the season with 12 minutes to go in the last. Lol. You can't make this up.

32 Finlayson, loses a scrappy hitout but it goes to Butters who works it out, we get it in forward quickly and goal

33 Finlayson, loses the hitout, which is clean to a Brisbane player Brisbane end up with a scrappy clearance

34 Lycett, loses the hitout, Brisbane get a soft-but-there free for holding and a deep clearance for a mark inside 50.

I broke each contest down to a clear won hitout, no clear hitout winner and a clear lost hitout. I then broke them down to a definitive clearance win, a scrappy clearance win, a stoppage, a definitive loss or a scrappy loss. Basically, a definitive win is a relatively unpressured long kick either inside 50 or too a mark, a scrappy clearance is a hack forward. I included free kicks as a definitive clearance and a ruck free as a hitout win even if it's not technically, it's a contest the ruckman has clearly won leading to a clearly won clearance.

From Lycett's stoppages we had 9 clearance wins, 7 additional stoppages and 8 clearance losses.
From Finlayson's stoppages we had 3 clearance wins, 0 additional stoppages and 7 clearance losses.

Lycett had 3 marked down as hitout wins leading to a definitive clearance. One was a free kick to Rozee for a hold, and one was a bad bounce that fell in his lap and he bombed it forward. That's just one definitive clearance directly from a good piece of tapwork Lycett, and its the one that went to Rozee who handballed it over his head to (I think) Farrell for a very clean inside 50.

Lycett forced a lot of stoppages with his tackling work, 7 in total from his ruckwork, notably only 1 of them was where he lost the tap, he had 3 stoppages when winning the tap and then 3 when there wasn't a clear winner. We also had 6 clearances when Lycett failed to win the hitout, so I guess if you want a competitor and not a tap ruckman, this is what what you get.

Lycett had 6 definitive lost clearances, with 4 of them coming from lost hitouts.

We had 3 definitive clearances when Finlayson was rucking, but only 1 was from his hitout. Finlayson also struggled to compete generally, he didn't force any stoppages at all and lost 7 clearances, 5 of them definitive wins. We either basically got a clean clearance out or lost pretty comprehensively.

Overall I think Lycett had an okay game at the centre clearances in basically what we know he can do, be a competitive beast and not get dominated too baddly. McInerney had some good moments but didn't totally kill us. Lycett will end up with i'm guessing a lot of hitouts to advantage, I haven't checked the stats, but what was he actually doing with those hitouts? Were they turning into good clearances? No, they weren't. He only had 1 clear hitout that went down the throat of a teammate leading to us marching away from the contest.

I also note that Brisbane recorded their highest score from stoppages in for the season tonight.

Given the fact that despite having 3 of cleanest inside/outside mids in the league, you'd really hope that we could manage more than 2 clean hitouts to definitive clearances in 24 ruck contests. Centre bounces are when Rozee, Butters and JHF have got acres of space and the 6,6,6 stops teams from flooding back against us, we are burning great opportunities to take advantage of that by playing a scragger ruckman.

And is it even working that well defensively? No, it's not. As I said, Brisbane had their most scores from stoppages for the season tonight (more than against West Coast or North), and from someone who was specifically monitoring then, their "clean" clearances were generally a lot cleaner than ours. Handball chains running inside 50, hitting targets inside 50. A lot of ours were just bombs forward.

Grundy is obviously a priority and Lycett won't get dropped, but continuing to pick a scragger ruckman has hurt us for years and continues to hurt us. If we had the 10th best ruckman in the league we'd be absolutely dominant from stoppages.
Brilliant.

I've got a ruck thing I'll wheel out during the week or so as well if I can convert it properly.

Centre bounces Q1

Q3

Only around 75% game time, no further analysis needed.

You could see that our mids had trouble being organised around what he was going to do. I felt there was a disconnection
It seemed like almost all off his taps were just a ricochet to his feet rather than giving the players something to run onto or take out of the air.

Yup, I was saying all through the game that Lycett was getting smashed, and perhaps I was a bit harsh on him - but it was a result of what I was seeing with the stoppage dominance from Brisbane.

At 203cm, Lycett is one of the smaller rucks going around these days. Add to the fact he has minimal vertical leap, it really makes it difficult for him to compete at centre bounces. Around the ground he tends to grapple and that helps him - however against a bigger and stronger opponent like McInenerny, he struggles to have influence, as he has no weapons to counter it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back