Autopsy Round 9, 2023: Adelaide v St.Kilda *SINCLAIR 150TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren’t going deep into the finals if we make it
Let’s give him 5 to 6 full games to see if he can make it
Seb isn’t taking us anywhere
No good bringing in Dow and getting rid of Bytel treading water at best

Let’s find out who has it in them

Probably not a bad idea but I guess we are still in a race for top 4 so unlikely to happen unless we drop off or Lyon makes a statement with Seb Ross. Dow looks like a poor kicking inside/outside mid who's improved a fair bit where Bytel is really a one paced inside mid with good disposal but low production. He really needs to make maximum impact at any opportunity he gets now. Ross is more like Dow than Bytel, Bytel's probably competing with Steele and Crouch. His clock is ticking.

These are the games that will help sharpen the focus for the list manager and recruiters going forward. We have too many blokes that can't handle 1v1 footy and get exposed for either strength, speed, skill or all 3 too often.
RTBs system has so far hidden some of our weaknesses but when the system fails, those warts are on show for all to see. It's most evident against the better teams.
We just have to pump games in to Windy, Po and Owens etc because they're the ones that'll be playing against the Adelaide and Port mids for next 5+ years.... its not Ross, Crouch and Steele.
Drop the worst performer, Ross, elevate Bytel or Windy and get the show on the road.
Unfortunately Van Es and the other FB are miles off it according to Jake Batchelor. So Dougal somehow keeps his spot but we aint making PF/GF with him.... His inability to defend kills us because Wilks has to take a KPF because he can't... Wilks should be playing the 2nd or 3rd but ends up on the opposition's best unless they're a ruckman size. Maybe Cordy for him to put a rocket up him, only lever to pull it seems.

He didn’t and wasn’t he was trying be proactive and not just bomb the ball in the 50 a nice change.

He still kicked a couple like he was trying to hit up a Crow with little pressure on the kick. He really needs to show something to stay in the side. I rate him and want him to do well but think he looked poor yesterday. People bagged Byrnes game but he was energetic and at least getting to contests.

I think we missed Gresham more than I thought we would inside 50. He obviously changes a bit of the dynamic in there. He's frenetic and unpredictable in a pretty predictable set up and if the mids are getting smashed he can change things up to get a bit of chaos going in the centre. He's had an ordinary year but he isn't an ordinary player.

Do we need to talk about our captaincy going forward?

We look and feel so much better with Wilkie as our captain.

Seems a genuine leader.
I thought yesterday was a reasonable demonstration of why Steele is the captain ahead of Wilkie. Our best patch of the game was initiated by Steele going full "get on my back" mode in the second quarter. No criticism of Wilkie, but I thought Steele's leadership yesterday was pretty good.

He’s got the basis for a good inside mid but he’s rarely been fit when we have a need for a one position inside midfielder. That game wasn’t one to get him another crack. Billings hasn’t done much but probably a better sub option because he’s adaptable.
Apologies for repeating myself - but based on what I saw preseason I think Bytel can play & wants to succeed - however the Match Committee need to bite the bullet sometime this season & give him a run of games on ball - only after that will we know if he is up to it or not.

Apologies Mowman didn’t see your post - we are in violent agreement!

These are the games that will help sharpen the focus for the list manager and recruiters going forward. We have too many blokes that can't handle 1v1 footy and get exposed for either strength, speed, skill or all 3 too often.
RTBs system has so far hidden some of our weaknesses but when the system fails, those warts are on show for all to see. It's most evident against the better teams.
We just have to pump games in to Windy, Po and Owens etc because they're the ones that'll be playing against the Adelaide and Port mids for next 5+ years.... its not Ross, Crouch and Steele.
Drop the worst performer, Ross, elevate Bytel or Windy and get the show on the road.
Unfortunately Van Es and the other FB are miles off it according to Jake Batchelor. So Dougal somehow keeps his spot but we aint making PF/GF with him.... His inability to defend kills us because Wilks has to take a KPF because he can't... Wilks should be playing the 2nd or 3rd but ends up on the opposition's best unless they're a ruckman size. Maybe Cordy for him to put a rocket up him, only lever to pull it seems.

You can make a GF with guys like Howard but you can't let them get exposed like we got them yesterday. It's not a one on one game any more. That's Carlton's issue. They want their best 22 to beat your best 22.

Playing the kids is an excellent investment anyway and should be the program. We need better players and the older guys are mostly GOPs at best. The kids look to have some real star quality about them. Phillipou, Owens and Caminiti types look like the future.

He still kicked a couple like he was trying to hit up a Crow with little pressure on the kick. He really needs to show something to stay in the side. I rate him and want him to do well but think he looked poor yesterday. People bagged Byrnes game but he was energetic and at least getting to contests.

I think we missed Gresham more than I thought we would inside 50. He obviously changes a bit of the dynamic in there. He's frenetic and unpredictable in a pretty predictable set up and if the mids are getting smashed he can change things up to get a bit of chaos going in the centre. He's had an ordinary year but he isn't an ordinary player.
See this is why we are going nowhere with blokes like Byrnes in the team , if we actually had any talent in our VFL team he would not be getting a game , constantly over rating some of our players , just when he looks like he might make it he goes back to being crap

Steele, Ross and Crouch should not be in the middle at the same time ever. They are too slow together.

Sincs should be in the rotation along with Owens from the start of the game.

Yes we can run but we don't have any speed on the inside.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree - Sinclair needs to be in there & hopefully now Windy gets a go.

Also agree Owens & Pou should have more time in there (especially Owens - he is ready to go!) but I’m not sure either of them have the burst speed we need?

Honestly your expectation of a Sub coming into a game like that is rediculous. Give him a full game and see. Funnily enough I’d suggest he’ll show some cleaner hands then anyone bar Clark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See this is why we are going nowhere with blokes like Byrnes in the team , if we actually had any talent in our VFL team he would not be getting a game , constantly over rating some of our players , just when he looks like he might make it he goes back to being crap
There's nothing wrong with how Byrnes is tracking.

He's still a young, inexperienced & inconsistent player... lets see how he goes when he's got 50+ games under his belt (he's played 37).

I think you’ve also got to factor in injuries too. We haven’t had any players to take his position and he was also playing decently which makes him hard to drop. I think now he’s had a bad game he has to go out for JB.

He is 22 and has played probably 2 or 3 average/poor games this year. Its an incredibly shortsighted opinion to write off a 22 year old who has shown remarkable improvement over the last 6 months, particually after a match where a lot of more experienced players were off their game versus a team who probably would have beaten Melbourne and Collingwood they played that well.

Not many players are elite from day one. It's an investment, play youth, get rewarded. They aren't going to be consistent.

There's nothing wrong with how Byrnes is tracking.

He's still a young, inexperienced & inconsistent player... lets see how he goes when he's got 50+ games under his belt (he's played 37).
Ok lets see
He is 22 and has played probably 2 or 3 average/poor games this year. Its an incredibly shortsighted opinion to write off a 22 year old who has shown remarkable improvement over the last 6 months, particually after a match where a lot of more experienced players were off their game versus a team who probably would have beaten Melbourne and Collingwood they played that well.
That's fine , you see it your way i see it mine , I have followed and watched him very closely from the start and even back in early 2020 i was calling for him to get a game , back then he would at least get his own ball playing as a mid .
Since then hasn't improved as much as he should have being in the system another 3 years , his decision making is poor , panics, fumbles , no penetration with his kicking and now he hardly ever gets a clearance.
Happy for him to prove me wrong but even when he gets 20 odd a game he doesn't have any hurt factor, having injuries and no depth has gifted him games this year IMO

Honestly your expectation of a Sub coming into a game like that is rediculous. Give him a full game and see. Funnily enough I’d suggest he’ll show some cleaner hands then anyone bar Clark.

The sub has to impact if they come on though or they won't hold their spot. Billings would be a better sub and getting VFL games into Bytel makes more sense to me.

Not many players are elite from day one. It's an investment, play youth, get rewarded. They aren't going to be consistent.
Who said anything about elite , id be happy if he was a good solid B grader which IMO he isn't at the moment , when the side is picked ATM Ryan would be in the last 4 selected

The sub has to impact if they come on though or they won't hold their spot. Billings would be a better sub and getting VFL games into Bytel makes more sense to me.

It makes sense, but part of ( the main function according to the AFL ) the sub is as an emergency player.
It would be legit to leave your sub on the bench if everyone was spudding it up.

You can have Cordy as sub, and if Howard or King was injured , sub him on. Probably a good move but don't expect an impact.
You don't have a sub who is better than the 22 playing, it only works if you have someone around the same level who has fresh legs.

Ok lets see

That's fine , you see it your way i see it mine , I have followed and watched him very closely from the start and even back in early 2020 i was calling for him to get a game , back then he would at least get his own ball playing as a mid .
Since then hasn't improved as much as he should have being in the system another 3 years , his decision making is poor , panics, fumbles , no penetration with his kicking and now he hardly ever gets a clearance.
Happy for him to prove me wrong but even when he gets 20 odd a game he doesn't have any hurt factor, having injuries and no depth has gifted him games this year IMO

He has never played more than a few spurts as a mid. He's started as a high half forward and still plays that hybrid high half forward wing role running end to end wth the play. It's hard to win clearance outside the centre. Doubt he's had many centre bounce attendances in his career.

Found this years stats. He looks like we played him at 7 of 29 against the Suns but hasn't played a match where he had another CBA all year.

It makes sense, but part of ( the main function according to the AFL ) the sub is as an emergency player.
It would be legit to leave your sub on the bench if everyone was spudding it up.

You can have Cordy as sub, and if Howard or King was injured , sub him on. Probably a good move but don't expect an impact.
You don't have a sub who is better than the 22 playing, it only works if you have someone around the same level who has fresh legs.

Billings is what he is. If he warms the bench he might come on and impact. Keeping Bytel on the bench is making him wither on the vine. VFL would get more games into him.

Ok lets see

He's improved dramatically this season.

Has more than held his spot IMO.

Had a stinker yesterday but wasn't the lone ranger there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back