Prediction Round 7: Changes Vs Geelong + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in Elwood and it’s bucketing down, was about to say the same thing, hope the drainage is good, otherwise it’ll be mudbowl

Yeah it’s coming across the bay to you. Still a light rain here, but the rain forecast for tomorrow has eased up a bit, so hopefully the ground isn’t too much of a slog to run across

Keys to the game:
  • Insane pressure around the ground. Make their old legs work and their shoulders sore from being tackled. If we can keep up the pressure for 4 quarters, I think perceived pressure could be huge as the game wears on. We want to force them into turnovers.
  • DON'T bomb it in our 50. Geelong have the tall timber in defense to spoil and nullify the Lobb/Treacy duo. Lobb's lead up patterns aren't his strength, so hopefully, the cyclone can step up and either clear some space for the others or bring the ball down for our small forwards to crumb. If this doesn't work, we need our pressure to be relentless to cause the Cats defense to hack kick it out and let our mids/HF mop up.
  • Transition football. I keep hearing how small and narrow this ground it. Well, the way I see it is if we can move the ball by hand quickly, we can take advantage of what space there is. Also, a skinner park will play into our defense's hands. We held two of the hottest forwards in the game to almost nothing last week. Hawkins and Cameron are a step up (and they will kick at least 4 goals between them) but I'm confident our "team first" defense will be able to contain #1 and #2 on the Coleman medal list. It's not often forwards get a one-on-one in our back half. With less space on the ground, we can give Pearce and Logue some extra help against the two big dogs more easily.
  • Meek and the roamers. Our midfield stacks up against theirs easily. They're old. Selwood is cooked. If Meek can have himself a game and keep the ball in Brodie's lighting quick hands, it will feed into the transition play we're so good at.

That's a lot to get right, but it's going to be a great measuring stick. If we lose by 2-3 goals and compete hard, I'll be totally fine with that. It's a hard place to play.

But, if the Hawks can beat them this year, we can to!

Also, I don't give two f***s about our history at the ground. New team. New style. A ton of new players. Game on.

Freo by 8 points. :freo::freo::freo::freo:

Jamming Rock N Roll GIF by Foo Fighters

At our best we can win. I feel our outs will give them the upper hand but Freo can run out 4 quarters better than any club bar Melbourne.

I really want this to be a win. It's huge important as it will provide the players with a realisation that anything is possible. It's just as big as beating bris in qld or Melbourne at the g.

Let's do this!

So much enjoyment tonight... not sure what will happen tomorrow. If we are within 2 goals at half time we should be in with a shot.

Darcy is a massive out. His marling in contest and his ground ball contested work is immense.
Agreed, but Stanley ain't all that special. Meek should do just fine against him. He can work up and down the groud too. His few games this year have been very solid. I think Tabs is actually the bigger out (for this particular opponent).

With Darcy our best ruckman out and tabs arguably are best forward out also it puts a huge dent in the 22 but meek isn’t that bad. It’s going to be a tough one. Hardest one to win so far this year. Don’t expect to get the chocolates but if we do as Bruce would say

Attachments

• 46450B12-3689-48E7-8D7C-0BC437036588.jpeg
    46450B12-3689-48E7-8D7C-0BC437036588.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 98

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Darcy our best ruckman out and tabs arguably are best forward out also it puts a huge dent in the 22 but meek isn’t that bad. It’s going to be a tough one. Hardest one to win so far this year. Don’t expect to get the chocolates but if we do as Bruce would say
I hope everyone realises that if we do win the narrative won’t be “how good are Freo” instead it will be “has Father Time caught up with the cats” and they’ll site the loses to the Hawks and Swans as evidence that younger teams have put them to the sword.
Until we beat Melbourne at the G the vic media will still play down our credentials every chance they get. Just saying.

Edit: also happy to report it’s a crisp clear morning here in Melbourne, a balmy 11 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, by 1pm will be 18 degrees and sunny, perfect for our fast skills based game.

Last edited:
This game will make our coach and crew work harder than usual. A Win would be massive for the club so the motivation will be at Finals level.

With the ground size our strategy will have been tweaked.

We are facing the best combination of tall forwards in the comp while missing our best interceptors. Chapman and Young ignite our attack.

Darcy is a significantly more imposing player than Meek, and Taberner is one of our genuine weapons.

Alrighty Freo faithful, its game day. Lets talk it up!!

Meek will do better than ok, Pearce and Logue aint the easy N.Melb defence they had last week, means no easy goals for Hawkins and Cameron. Lobb & Treacy to kick 5-6 between them, Frederick, Colyer, Walters, Schultz and Switta to run riot. Banfield for another lazy one or two when he comes on during three quarter time. We're more than a chance in this game. This is the day we announce ourselves as bonafide premiership threat in 2022! Freo by 9pts! Carn Freo!!

EDIT - whoops, sorry, but I think I should've posted in the gameday thread.

Last edited:
Alrighty Freo faithful, its game day. Lets talk it up!!

Meek will do better than ok, Pearce and Logue aint the easy N.Melb defence they had last week, means no easy goals for Hawkins and Cameron. Lobb & Treacy to kick 5-6 between them, Frederick, Colyer, Walters, Schultz and Switta to run riot. Banfield for another lazy one or two when he comes on during three quarter time. We're more than a chance in this game. This is the day we announce ourselves as bonafide premiership threat in 2022! Freo by 9pts! Carn Freo!!

Love everything about this post apart from Banners coming on at 3 quarter time

Last edited:
I hope everyone realises that if we do win the narrative won’t be “how good are Freo” instead it will be “has Father Time caught up with the cats” and they’ll site the loses to the Hawks and Swans as evidence that younger teams have put them to the sword.
Until we beat Melbourne at the G the vic media will still play down our credentials every chance they get. Just saying.

Edit: also happy to report it’s a crisp clear morning here in Melbourne, a balmy 11 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, by 1pm will be 18 degrees and sunny, perfect for our fast skills based game.
Agreed, but let's just bank the win first, and let the cobblers...

I think you've missed a lot of the positive press that we've been getting from the Vic media over the last 3 weeks. We're getting talked up a lot, with respectful praise to JL, and a number of our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back