Preview Round 5 v West Coast Eagles Optus Stadium Sunday 14th April 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
tigwce.png

After pushing the Saints all the way in Gather Round, we head back on the road again this week to face a West Coast Eagles side who were competitive against the same Swans outfit we beat, until the Swans class got on top in the last to secure a comfortable win. So they will be believing that they can open their 2024 account with a win against us on their home deck. The Eagles like us have had a tough start to the season with games against Port GWS Bulldogs and Swans to start their season plus they have had a few injuries to key players with Oscar Allen Liam Ryan Rhett Bazzo Matt Flynn Elijah Hewitt & Tyler Brockman missing games with various injuries. They're a chance to get Ryan back this week and possibly Brockman and they will have had this game circled on their fixture as their best chance to win a game for the first time since round 23 last year.

On the flip side we will be looking to get back on the winners list before our first bye of the season to try and get some momentum into our season. We will be welcoming back our vice captain in Liam Baker but there isn't much else to come back in just yet, with Grimes also a chance to return from a wrist injury. So once again we're going to be relying on a team that is carrying quite a number of players under 50. The good thing is the group spent time together in Adelaide and will now get the chance to head over to WA and secure our second win for the year.

Unlike the congested game against the Saints, where they were able to shutdown our slingshot game off HB after an explosive first quarter where we looked really good running at the Saints defenders. On the bigger ground and Optus we should have more opportunity to get that slingshot game going and it could do some real damage against an Eagles side that isn't really known for its speed across the ground. While a number of posters are wanting to see Koschitzke out of the side, this game should be his best opportunity to show something that suggests he can be a long term option for us. I'd like to see us bring in Ryan though to give us a better 2nd KPF option than what Lefau offers because if we don't do that then McGovern & Barrass could have a field day down back as they won't pay Lefau any attention and will just zone off and intercept everything.

Unlike the previous few weeks we should be heading into this game confident that we can get the win, but it won't be easy. As I mentioned above the Eagles played a pretty good game against the Swans before they got overrun in the last quarter and they will be fired up to get their first win.

Predicted Line Up:
B: Miller Young Broad
HB: Brown Vlastuin D.Rioli
C: McIntosh Taranto Pickett
HF: Mansell Bolton M.Rioli
F: Koschitzke Martin Ryan
R: Nankervis Baker Ross
INT: Short Graham Campbell Sonsie McAuliffe

Out: Dow(inj) Lefau
In Baker Ryan

As I mentioned above I'd bring in Ryan to give us a better structure up forward and also a better 2nd ruck option when Nankervis goes for a rest. I know a lot have called for Naismith, but like Nankervis, Naismith thrives when he is playing majority of the game as the main ruck, so I don't see him being the best answer to the the need for a 2nd KPF. The forward line also looks more threatening with 2 genuine talls, the absolute class of Martin & Bolton, the pressure of Maurice and Mansell and the skills of Campbell and Sonsie. If we want to maintain the 2 talls at all times, then we could look to have Nankervis rest up forward, but I'd only be doing that if it's clear that McGovern & Barrass are having too big of an impact.

The midfield is strong inside the square with Taranto Baker Ross Graham & McAuliffe as the core group with Martin and Bolton to go through there as they please. The wings are a bit of a concern as they aren't having the impact we'd like them to be having. Both are quickly running out of credits and need to quickly find some form.

Down back our defensive unit has been quite good the to start the season even though they have been hit hard by injuries at times. I'd be loathed to make any changes to the back 7 as they need to continue to build chemistry together. As a group they are playing well together and their ball use really helps kick start the sling shot game from the back half.

Prediction: This will be a closer game than many will think but I believe that we will end up winning by 3-4 goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
After pushing the Saints all the way in Gather Round, we head back on the road again this week to face a West Coast Eagles side who were competitive against the same Swans outfit we beat, until the Swans class got on top in the last to secure a comfortable win. So they will be believing that they can open their 2024 account with a win against us on their home deck. The Eagles like us have had a tough start to the season with games against Port GWS Bulldogs and Swans to start their season plus they have had a few injuries to key players with Oscar Allen Liam Ryan Rhett Bazzo Matt Flynn Elijah Hewitt & Tyler Brockman missing games with various injuries. They're a chance to get Ryan back this week and possibly Brockman and they will have had this game circled on their fixture as their best chance to win a game for the first time since round 23 last year.

On the flip side we will be looking to get back on the winners list before our first bye of the season to try and get some momentum into our season. We will be welcoming back our vice captain in Liam Baker but there isn't much else to come back in just yet, with Grimes also a chance to return from a wrist injury. So once again we're going to be relying on a team that is carrying quite a number of players under 50. The good thing is the group spent time together in Adelaide and will now get the chance to head over to WA and secure our second win for the year.

Unlike the congested game against the Saints, where they were able to shutdown our slingshot game off HB after an explosive first quarter where we looked really good running at the Saints defenders. On the bigger ground and Optus we should have more opportunity to get that slingshot game going and it could do some real damage against an Eagles side that isn't really known for its speed across the ground. While a number of posters are wanting to see Koschitzke out of the side, this game should be his best opportunity to show something that suggests he can be a long term option for us. I'd like to see us bring in Ryan though to give us a better 2nd KPF option than what Lefau offers because if we don't do that then McGovern & Barrass could have a field day down back as they won't pay Lefau any attention and will just zone off and intercept everything.

Unlike the previous few weeks we should be heading into this game confident that we can get the win, but it won't be easy. As I mentioned above the Eagles played a pretty good game against the Swans before they got overrun in the last quarter and they will be fired up to get their first win.

Predicted Line Up:

In Baker Ryan

As I mentioned above I'd bring in Ryan to give us a better structure up forward and also a better 2nd ruck option when Nankervis goes for a rest. I know a lot have called for Naismith, but like Nankervis, Naismith thrives when he is playing majority of the game as the main ruck, so I don't see him being the best answer to the the need for a 2nd KPF. The forward line also looks more threatening with 2 genuine talls, the absolute class of Martin & Bolton, the pressure of Maurice and Mansell and the skills of Campbell and Sonsie. If we want to maintain the 2 talls at all times, then we could look to have Nankervis rest up forward, but I'd only be doing that if it's clear that McGovern & Barrass are having too big of an impact.

The midfield is strong inside the square with Taranto Baker Ross Graham & McAuliffe as the core group with Martin and Bolton to go through there as they please. The wings are a bit of a concern as they aren't having the impact we'd like them to be having. Both are quickly running out of credits and need to quickly find some form.

Down back our defensive unit has been quite good the to start the season even though they have been hit hard by injuries at times. I'd be loathed to make any changes to the back 7 as they need to continue to build chemistry together. As a group they are playing well together and their ball use really helps kick start the sling shot game from the back half.

Prediction: This will be a closer game than many will think but I believe that we will end up winning by 3-4 goals.

How bad is Dows injury?

How bad is Dows injury?
Don't think it's bad, but with us having the bye the week following I'd give him the next 2 weeks off to recover so that after the bye he is right to go without any hindrance

I hate likely going in as favourites as we have a tendency to drop these types of games. I don't care if we lose as long as the intent and method is there but if it is, we shouldn't be losing.

Yet another Sunday game so I have to wait until Friday to see if Sonsie stays in. Fortunately, after the bye we don't have many Sunday games.

Normally id be pacing the house all week for this game but I'm unable to attend this weekend so I'm not as worried about losing (sorry fellow WA tigers attending) so if we lose its not going to really matter plus I have next week off so I'm not at work. If anything, it will be all about how the Eagles don't need a priority pick.

Hopefully we don't cop anymore injuries on that s**t concrete surface.

Predicted Line Up:

In Baker Ryan

I agree with you on the predicted line-up except for 2 changes.

C: Short Taranto Pickett
INT: Lefau Dow Campbell Sonsie McAuliffe

If Dow is fit to play, he replaces Graham.
Short to a wing to replace McIntosh. It's finally come to a head. Yze needs to make the call sooner or later.
Lefau stays in. I think he's showing enough. We need to give him the extra chance.

I was thinking possibly Naismith but he is a true ruck so I'm willing to take Ryan as a forward.

And we leave Ryan permanent forward this week and let Kosi take the 2nd ruck duties which I think he can do as Eagles don't really have a proper dominant ruck. Nank in great form and could really dominate this week. Good for us.

Last edited:

Short to a wing to replace McIntosh. It's finally come to a head. Yze needs to make the call sooner or later.
Lefau stays in. I think he's showing enough. We need to give him the extra chance.

I was thinking possibly Naismith but he is a true ruck so I'm willing to take Ryan as a forward.

And we leave Ryan permanent forward this week and let Kosi take the 2nd ruck duties which I think he can do as Eagles don't really have a proper dominant ruck. Nank in great form and could really dominate this week. Good for us.
IMO what we need in the forward line is one player who can stand up in a pack for the long kick into the forward line and one player who can lead and crash the packs. That was the combination we planed for with Lynch and Balta. The closest we have to that combination at the moment is Naismith and Lefau. Naismith is a bit slow but so was Lynch, Lefau is not Balta but he could cause some of the same havoc. The real problem is that we do not have a third tall to compliment these two particularly when Naismith has to go into the ruck. Maybe Toranto forward when Naismith is in the ruck could work

Will be a very interesting game. Looking at who we have played we are t in bad form. Yet we might be the eagles best shot of a win.

I hope to see us get some confidence and pull out a comfortable win.

Dow should be out for baker
Ryan for lefau

Km2 to play a full game if he’s good to go!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't mind seeing Grimes come in purely to do a job on McGovern forward.
I was shot down for a similar suggestion last week.

I think he can play a role forward this year but its an unpopular opinion.

Wouldn't mind seeing Grimes come in purely to do a job on McGovern forward.
Always difficult to play a tagging role on a backman, Grimes goes to McGovern and McGovern goes to Kosi for example that means someone like Barrass can play loose man.
With 6-6-6 at the start of the centre bounce that makes it even harder.

I was shot down for a similar suggestion last week.

I think he can play a role forward this year but its an unpopular opinion.
Yeah. If Battle and Wilkie can do what they did, imagine what Barrass and McGovern will do :straining:

Yze will need to cook up something cos if Kosi and Lefau go head-to-head with those two, we aren't kicking a winning score.
The Frampton role. That's actually not a bad idea at all. Just gotta get the ball to ground for our smalls.
Has the speed and smarts and doesn't interrupt a fairly settled defence. Worth a shot.
Always difficult to play a tagging role on a backman, Grimes goes to McGovern and McGovern goes to Kosi for example that means someone like Barrass can play loose man.
With 6-6-6 at the start of the centre bounce that makes it even harder.
McGovern has been tagged successfully before. Mansell has the mentality, might be a bit too small though.

Still, I reckon Grimes would be a more effective forward than Lefau or a resting ruckman.

I’m warming to that idea of Grimes playing on McLovin.

Taranto forward is definitely another one I’m a fan of. Didnt he kick 4 or 5 a few years back playing as a permanent forward against us?
I dont know why when we had Hopper and Prestia playing, TT wasnt used more deep forward, or at the very least, playing a Dusty type role.

TT, Shai and Dusty should be playing that role now, the 3 of them interchanging at will would cause mayhem for oppo defences.

I'm afraid to say it but Barass and McGovern, both excellent body on body players will make mince meat out of Ryan (and probably Lefau too) in marking contests. Until Ryan can stand his ground in marking contests he's going to be a liability.

I’m warming to that idea of Grimes playing on McLovin.

Taranto forward is definitely another one I’m a fan of. Didnt he kick 4 or 5 a few years back playing as a permanent forward against us?
He came to us to play mid because he was sick of playing forward at GWS.
At the end of the day it isnt his call
Id rotate him with Dusty and leave Shai forward 100%

Personally, I'd rather we just continue getting used to our new game style rather than making a significant change to it just to nullify one of the few strengths the last placed team in West Coast has.

Alternatively, this week we should be training the ability to change directions going inside 50 and shifting the West Coast defense away from where we are wanting to actually kick inside 50.

Training to counter a McGovern type would be more beneficial rather than simply nullifying it as it can be implemented against other teams as well.

Personally, I'd rather we just continue getting used to our new game style rather than making a significant change to it just to nullify one of the few strengths the last placed team in West Coast has.

Alternatively, this week we should be training the ability to change directions going inside 50 and shifting the West Coast defense away from where we are wanting to actually kick inside 50.

Training to counter a McGovern type would be more beneficial rather than simply nullifying it as it can be implemented against other teams as well.
literally just lower the eyes, no dump kicks and problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back