VFL Game Day Round 5: Collingwood vs Essendon, Victoria Park, Sunday 23rd April @ 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss is just a younger Alec Waterman. Granted, I really liked Waterman. But he was obviously limited in what he could do and as a medium size forward, he was never gonna lockdown a full time spot with Stringer around.

Voss has time on his side, so he can definitely make it. But I don't see whatever everyone who wants him brought in for Jones sees.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt after a couple of weeks off with concussion. Messes with your confidence I would have thought.
Sorry for not giving a glowing report .
It was a comment on his game today not his future prospects .
He has been very average .

The VFL blokes seem to have the match fitness of our AFL lads in the Worsfold/Rutten era. Run out of gas half way through the third quarter, and that's all she wrote.

Voss is just a younger Alec Waterman. Granted, I really liked Waterman. But he was obviously limited in what he could do and as a medium size forward, he was never gonna lockdown a full time spot with Stringer around.

Voss has time on his side, so he can definitely make it. But I don't see whatever everyone who wants him brought in for Jones sees.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Voss is 11cms taller than Waterman and built like a gorilla.

Waterman was a full forward in Ben Hobbs’ body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VFL blokes seem to have the match fitness of our AFL lads in the Worsfold/Rutten era. Run out of gas half way through the third quarter, and that's all she wrote.

The VFL contingent has been very disappointing for 3-4 years and the ‘name brand’ recruits aren’t really offering anything substantial in terms of driving the train.

How long has Bruno Laguda been on the VFL list for? Feels like 20 years and he’s never been anything more than a bottom 5 in a side type player.

Sorry for not giving a glowing report .
?
I mean you are forgiven, I guess.
Not sure why the apology was required though.
It was a comment on his game today not his future prospects .
He has been very average .
Thats fine. I didn't actually disagree with you I believe.
It was more a follow on from your comment, being that I think it's probably not surprising he is rusty and maybe a little nervy.

Last edited:
H
?
I mean you are forgiven, I guess.
Not sure why the apology was required though.

Thats fine. I didn't actually disagree with you I believe.
It was more a follow on from your comment, being that I think it's probably not surprising he is rusty and maybe a little nervy.
He has been worse than rusty . He has been horrible. There is no follow up needed .

Dissapointing second half for sure. Bryan probably our best but that's not saying much. Dominated the hit outs but took only 1 mark.

Turned this rubbish on to see the last qtr. Utter inept uncommitted non-competitive football. Outnumbered at nearly every contest and metres behind opponents out of possession. Haven’t seen a redeeming characteristic in any Essendon player. Wow.
So you are to blame :p

Final scores.
Pies 14.13
Bombers 13.11
In the end the bit of extra speed and more mobile runners got us. Couple of red time goal in the third quarter really hurt. It was a pretty free flowing game as you would expect from the Pies. We where well on top half way through the third quarter.

Hayes. 17 disposals. 3 marks. Much of the same. Does some good stuff. Finds a bit of the footy. Still developing but looks to have a lot of scope.

Bryan. 17 disposals. 1 mark. 9 clearances. Dominated the hit outs with 45 but we did not make use of his dominance. Would have liked to see more hit outs to advantage. Only took 1 mark for the day which is an issue. Rucked against Steen and Delany who are both 200cm. Good game but we are in a holding pattern as we wait for him to build his physical strength.

Baldwin. Only 6 disposals and 3 marks. Had a poor day out in his first game back. Was beaten on the lead a lot and just looked out of sorts. Hopefully he will be better with this one out of the way.

Lord. 15 disposals . Not as good as last week. Give him a tick for trying to take the game on but needs to make better decisions when it comes to doing it. Jury is still well and truly out.

Reid. 9 disposals and 3 marks. Looked like he needed the run. Read the ball coming in okay but spilled a few marks that cost goals. Main thing was he got through 3 quarters and has not lost his read of the game.

Montgomerie . 14 disposals. Was a bit down on his recent form. Got turned around a few times when the Pies flooded forward.

Voss . 15 disposals and 7 marks. Nearly all his marks where well up the ground so in that aspect it was good to see a bit more work rate. Did not work for him deep forward and was out marked every time. His kicking for goal has also gone off in the last few weeks. Needs to be playing more a flank role and moving into space and not playing KP and calling for the ball in a contest. 0 tackles.

Wanganeen . 9 disposals . 2 goals. Apart from a good third quarter he struggled to get into the game. Was watching him a bit and he just was not in the right spots at times. He chases well but maybe that part if taking over his game and wearing him down as often it is the chase to pressure with no reward with a tackle or possession.

Munkara . 7 disposals . 4 tackles . 1.2. Again showed a few flashes of his ability but still looks confused a lot of the time. Looks even more confused when he looks to be doing the team thing and someone else obviously is not. At some stage they have to just tell him to play on instinct for a quarter. Also has a pretty average tank at this stage.

Jorgenson from the VFL squad is starting to find the level. Kicked 5 today. Is a lanky bean pole (198cm 94kg) who played a couple of games with Richmond VFL last year early and is from Bundoora. Took a couple of good grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back