VFL Game Day Round 3: Northern Bullants vs Essendon, North Port Oval, Sunday 1:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Another week of why is this game on at virtually the same time as the AFL. I know the crowd numbers are pretty low for the VFL and do not impact the bottom line in any way but surely if you want to even try and promote the VFL you do not have the AFL side and the VFL side playing in the same time slots.

Another week of why is this game on at virtually the same time as the AFL. I know the crowd numbers are pretty low for the VFL and do not impact the bottom line in any way but surely if you want to even try and promote the VFL you do not have the AFL side and the VFL side playing in the same time slots.
Especially considering the VFL fixture comes out MONTHS after the AFL. It's a joke

Home side gets most of the choice around timing, etc. Probably did it on purpose

Not since COVID, Clubs organise venues, times, days between each other. The VFL (actually the AFL now) only organises match ups these days. Its why the fixture takes so long.
The fixture is strange anyway. I know they have to try and get the non aligned sides games sorted as best as they can but why did we play GWS seconds on the same day and virtually the same time as we played the GC and here we are two weeks later playing GWS in Melbourne but playing Preston ? They could align the sides a bit better. We should be playing GWS at the hanger at 10am tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fixture is strange anyway. I know they have to try and get the non aligned sides games sorted as best as they can but why did we play GWS seconds on the same day and virtually the same time as we played the GC and here we are two weeks later playing GWS in Melbourne but playing Preston ? They could align the sides a bit better. We should be playing GWS at the hanger at 10am tomorrow.
Or a curtain raiser before the seniors.

I would love it as a thing that the VFL game was played straight after the AFL. That way you could have your emergencies as real emergencies who then go on to play VFL if they are unused. I would also like to see a sub that comes on late in AFL go and play the second half in the VFL.

Gee Hobbs looks like he should be close to a call up.

Also I might have missed something but what is happening with Snelling? Won BF 2 (3?) years ago and now seems anchored in VFL.. still building fitness or just not suiting Scotts gameplan/vision?

Also I might have missed something but what is happening with Snelling? Won BF 2 (3?) years ago and now seems anchored in VFL.. still building fitness or just not suiting Scotts gameplan/vision?
I think he has had injury issues, so trying to build.

Injury issues last year, and being held out of a small forward slot by Menzies & Davey. It’s good to have depth, means quality hard working guys pushing for selection in the VFL, not something we’re used to.

Hobbs and Snelling have had a lot of injury interruptions. Snelling wasn't playing 2 weeks ago. Hobbs missed most of the preseason and then rolled his ankle and missed last week. We need Hobbs in particular to get into seniors. I also think that Menzies and D'ambrosio will go past Guelfi and Snelling in year or two, but for now the older two offer more in AFL, so will still get games in front of them, but we still need to make sure the young two get some games in AFL for development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back