Analysis Roos era to be defined in the next 8 weeks?

How many games will we win in this block?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Despite the awful loss to Essendon, we're sitting on the same amount of wins that most non-MFC people would have predicted at the start of the year. Our fixture gets quite difficult in the 2nd half of the year, so I've looked at the next 8 weeks in isolation and come up with some thoughts.

Pies MCG
Tigers MCG
Saints Etihad (Our 'home' game lelelel)
GC Metricon
Dogs MCG
Brisbane MCG
Port Traeger Park (Alice Springs)
Hawthorn MCG

Now it is pretty clear that outside of the Hawks game, all of those games are extremely winnable. Last year we were honestly pretty damn disappointing with 'winnable' games (Saints x2, Essendon, Carlton, Port) but we also had the Geelong/Richmond/Bulldogs wins (Two finals teams and a ground that we traditionally break the wrong sort of records at).

I think this block is going to give us a definitive answer in where we are at, 3 wins or less is most definitely a failure, 4 wins probably par and 5+ is very good. My personal thoughts:

Pies MCG - win
Tigers MCG - win
Saints Etihad - win
GC Metricon - Loss
Dogs MCG - Loss
Brisbane MCG - win
Port Traegar Park - win
Hawks - i wish

History tells me there is no way we win the next three, no way, you see what youre forgetting is that they are all winnable games, Melbourne doesnt do clean sweeps of blocks of winnable games. If we win 2 of the next 3 ill consider it huge step forward.

History says we go into the first with high hopes, get spat out with a disappointing L then go onto lose the other two, followed by a surprising win the week after that sucks everyone back in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dont ever look ahead, one week at a time, best to play it safe, youre only disappointing yourself.

I picked 8. We finish fouth. Heartbreaking loss to Sydney in the QF. Semi-final v Bulldogs after they go down to Hawthorn. We beat them at the MCG.

PF v Hawthorn. The greatest team of the last 10 years v the worst. We're down 62 points at QT. Ross Lyon is seen in the stands brandishing what looks like a contract signing Hogan's soul away to Fremantle for 100 years if we lose the game.

This by the way is Petracca's debut match. He enters stage right in the second quarter. Kicks 27 unanswered goals off his own boot. Lumumba and Dawes spontaneously combust, conveniently releasing them from our service also.

GF week. Ticker tape parade. The media are talking about the greatest comeback of all time. The queen literally flies down to Melbourne to be there.

We get pumped to the tune of 148 points.

By Essendon.

Nobody wins when the Demons play the Lions at the MCG, footy just goes backwards.

My 2 cents...

It would be almost as disappointing if Melbourne lost against the Lions as they did against Essendon.

Pies, have major injury concerns. But teams lift when they play them, Vince being out is massive though. Garlett strikes me as a player who comes alive in games like this, so hopefully he is in.

Port are a good chance, we pressed them last year. And Port are not playing well so far...

Richmond might be coming back from Perth after a thumping! When we get them. But for some reason we seem to do well against them.

Melbourne have to show a lot more to be considered a chance against the Saints who are doing really well (the two big losses are actually quite deceptive).

For me what Melbourne brought in the 1st and 4th quarters in Rnd 1 vs GWS and the 2nd,3rd and 4th against North (I missed the 1st quarter) are the true benchmarks we need as supporters. I believe that wins are deceptive to use as a measuring stick.

Keep playing like that and that will be a tick from me for Paul Roos (although he has cleaned up the list nicely as well).

I picked 8. We finish fouth. Heartbreaking loss to Sydney in the QF. Semi-final v Bulldogs after they go down to Hawthorn. We beat them at the MCG.

PF v Hawthorn. The greatest team of the last 10 years v the worst. We're down 62 points at QT. Ross Lyon is seen in the stands brandishing what looks like a contract signing Hogan's soul away to Fremantle for 100 years if we lose the game.

This by the way is Petracca's debut match. He enters stage right in the second quarter. Kicks 27 unanswered goals off his own boot. Lumumba and Dawes spontaneously combust, conveniently releasing them from our service also.

GF week. Ticker tape parade. The media are talking about the greatest comeback of all time. The queen literally flies down to Melbourne to be there.

We get pumped to the tune of 148 points.

By Essendon.

200_s.gif

stay-here-o.gif

"Stay in the bottom 10 as long as you can, youve got to cherish it, cherish it!"

The cold, hard, groin-grabbing truth is that we are likely to win only one of the next three. It's painful to hear but deep down we know its how things will PROBABLY unfold.

Collingwood are getting molested by the media, similarly to how we did after the essendon shmashmortion. Even Pendles is getting criticised.... Alarm bells.
Meanwhile Vince misses his chance to own pendles again, Sidebottom and Varcoe come in... Our players coming off the back of an incredibly taxing game in Tassie.... Complacency after an admirable effort... More alarm bells. History points us towards dropping this game then coming out firing to beat Richmond on Anzac day eve. History also tells us Richmond will come out firing too after the walls cave in after a loss to WC but they are our bitches so we win that.

As for the saints game, I actually rate them and their endeavour and would back them to get the win over us at etihad.

Fwiw my heart wants us to continue the good work we started in Tassie and roll all of these teams but my head says "dude... Melbourne"

I see 3 of the next 8 being the best case scenario - one of Rich and Coll, Bris at home, one random that's not St Kilda. We're still a fair way off it, especially in terms of consistent effort. Give me strength.

I see 3 of the next 8 being the best case scenario - one of Rich and Coll, Bris at home, one random that's not St Kilda. We're still a fair way off it, especially in terms of consistent effort. Give me strength.
Sainters a bit better than most giving them credit for. I'd be rapt if we knocked them over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see us winning four out of those eight (two of the next three, the Bears and an upset) but with this mob it's impossible to make any kind of positive prediction. At some point though, it (whatever "it" is) has to click and we start to find some consistency.

If at seasons end we still haven't won 2 games in a row, then for me Roos is a failure.

It doesn't matter who we do it against, or how good certain players start to become etc. A good coach is someone who can inspire his team and motivate them every week to get 100% output. Sure beating Cats at Geelong last year is great, pushing norf, beating Pies last year. But it's almost redundant if we then go off and lose to the Bombers and Blues.

For me it's consistency of effort, and I'm yet to see the consistency I was so hoping for under Roos.

History tells me there is no way we win the next three, no way, you see what youre forgetting is that they are all winnable games, Melbourne doesnt do clean sweeps of blocks of winnable games. If we win 2 of the next 3 ill consider it huge step forward.

History says we go into the first with high hopes, get spat out with a disappointing L then go onto lose the other two, followed by a surprising win the week after that sucks everyone back in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dont ever look ahead, one week at a time, best to play it safe, youre only disappointing yourself.

Gold Jerry

I still think Roos legacy will not be wins and loses, its more about how he has changed the culture and the dire tion of the club long term

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

If at seasons end we still haven't won 2 games in a row, then for me Roos is a failure.

It doesn't matter who we do it against, or how good certain players start to become etc. A good coach is someone who can inspire his team and motivate them every week to get 100% output. Sure beating Cats at Geelong last year is great, pushing norf, beating Pies last year. But it's almost redundant if we then go off and lose to the Bombers and Blues.

For me it's consistency of effort, and I'm yet to see the consistency I was so hoping for under Roos.

What if we get ten wins this year - somehow without two in a row? Another significant improvement on the previous season. I can't see how that can be a failure.

******* lol, what club are we talking about again?

We'll come close in a game we're not expected to, then lose the following week to a team we're twice as good as. We can chalk at least one loss down to being tired (probably a winnable one). Either one of the Dogs or Hawthorn games are going to be the usual massacre we're victim of a couple of times a year (possibly both). There might be the annual Melbourne upset- for now let's go with the Gold Coast game. We'll beat someone thereabouts- St Kilda? Port? (Please let it be Port!) and as for Brisbane v Melbourne, hopefully the AFL just tosses a coin and saves everyone the embarrassment of having to witness that again.

3 wins is about Melbourne. 4 would be a huge step forward. 5 is genuinely unfathomable.

If we turn up we'll go close against Hawthorn. We won't win though. Hawks aren't the type of side to let that happen and effort isn't enough. Need to have perfect disposal, etc.

A line in the sand needs to be drawn against Hawthorn this year, it isn't about necessarily winning, but the humiliating losses have to stop.

Roos legacy will be how be hands us over st the end of the season to Goodwin
This year is kinda irrelevant again but we need to keep taking steps forward I think genuine development would be a team that we think can win every single week by the end of this season
For instance the loss against north was far better for our development than a 5 point win against Essendon would have been

A very testing 8 weeks coming up but good I guess to see where the Dees are at,you've showed some real good signs in the opening three rounds.I understand the Dons loss was a bit disappointing,but the spirit you showed last week really proves a lot that you guys can give many games a good shake this year:thumbsu:;).

Yeah well said.

We seem to show a bit the week after a poor loss or lose the week after a decent win so I agree.
Need to show consistency in effort and a hunger to win and keep winning.

Back