Rolling Flag Contenders 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apologies if this is a double-up but all i can see is countless this team vs that team, so what about going broader?

As i see it i would rank in this order:

1. GWS - can win anywhere, no weakness in terms of mids / forwards / defence. Clear top pick
2 (equal) Sydney - Not been great the last 2 weeks but Grundy a big difference
2 (equal) Melbourne - can't help but feel it's their last big crack at it with ages of Gawn and May.
4 Carlton - Not playing that well but winning. Huge to have 2 in form key forwards and have good players to come back. Docherty a blow.
5 Port - midfield looks awesome. Disappointing against Melbourne although without JHF. Still have that september monkey on their back for now
6 Geelong - Look like they will win plenty at the cattery again and already a win in Adelaide. Too many oldies to put them higher - not confident they can all stay on the park
7 Collingwood - not played a really good game yet but pressure is back. Again their age isn't helpful but if they get to September you wouldn't want to play them
8 Lions - only this high because again if they get to september they have plenty of experience now. Likely to be 2-5 at best after the next 3 weeks which is a looooong way back
9 Suns - i reckon they are top 4 next year
10 all the others - think freo are much improved but wouldn't see them as a flag chance

Apologies if this is a double-up but all i can see is countless this team vs that team, so what about going broader?

As i see it i would rank in this order:

1. GWS - can win anywhere, no weakness in terms of mids / forwards / defence. Clear top pick
2 (equal) Sydney - Not been great the last 2 weeks but Grundy a big difference
2 (equal) Melbourne - can't help but feel it's their last big crack at it with ages of Gawn and May.
4 Carlton - Not playing that well but winning. Huge to have 2 in form key forwards and have good players to come back. Docherty a blow.
5 Port - midfield looks awesome. Disappointing against Melbourne although without JHF. Still have that september monkey on their back for now
6 Geelong - Look like they will win plenty at the cattery again and already a win in Adelaide. Too many oldies to put them higher - not confident they can all stay on the park
7 Collingwood - not played a really good game yet but pressure is back. Again their age isn't helpful but if they get to September you wouldn't want to play them
8 Lions - only this high because again if they get to september they have plenty of experience now. Likely to be 2-5 at best after the next 3 weeks which is a looooong way back
9 Suns - i reckon they are top 4 next year
10 all the others - think freo are much improved but wouldn't see them as a flag chance
The Bulldogs probably should've beaten the Cats last Saturday night. If you think Geelong can win it, then you should give the Doggies some consideration. They are not out of it.

Bont, Libba, English, JUH, Naughton, Darcy, Weightman, Jones, Dale, West, Richards, Sanders, Johannisen, Treloar, Macrae

They have the cattle to make another finals run. They're just not maximising their talent at the current time. But I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility they can put it all together between now and September.

I would place them equal (or just behind) Collingwood and Brisbane as teams who probably won't win the flag, but still a remote outside chance.

Fremantle and Suns are a good chance to play finals and keep the Pies, Lions, Dogs out of the 8, but I can't see either of them winning the 2024 flag. Better chance in 2025, 2026

Last edited:
The Bulldogs probably should've beaten the Cats last Saturday night.

That's very generous. Geelong should've been out of sight in the first 3 quarters getting way better looks going inside 50 and were uncharacteristically wasteful.

The Dogs came hard in the last and Geelong's young midfield hit the wall coming off the 5 day break after playing in monsoonal conditions. Geelong were missing their 2 best mids while Libba and Bont were dominant. Yet the dogs still couldn't get the win.

The game could've gone either way but there seems much more scope for improvement from Geelong on that performance.

That's very generous. Geelong should've been out of sight in the first 3 quarters getting way better looks going inside 50 and were uncharacteristically wasteful.

The Dogs came hard in the last and Geelong's young midfield hit the wall coming off the 5 day break after playing in monsoonal conditions. Geelong were missing their 2 best mids while Libba and Bont were dominant. Yet the dogs still couldn't get the win.

The game could've gone either way but there seems much more scope for improvement from Geelong on that performance.
Eh, you're being a bit precious... I don't think the Bulldogs are better than Geelong. I just made the point there wasn't a whole lot between them on the weekend. As you said, the game could've gone either way.

twhowler listed 9 teams he thought were a flag chance... 10 teams, if you include Freo as his "honourable mention".
He's got Gold Coast in there as his 9th pick... Just over 2 weeks ago, the Bulldogs flogged the Suns by 8 goals.

I just think it's an oversight to write off the Bulldogs at this early stage.

There's plenty of scope for improvement. They've got some really good emerging young talent and if Naughton can hit his straps, they will have a killer forward line.

Geelong is one of the best coached teams in the AFL: a high-functioning, well-oiled machine who do everything right. I wouldn't say there is a ton of improvement up their sleeves. Scott is getting the most out of the talent at his disposal. By contrast, the Bulldogs are still pretty dysfunctional. Maybe things won't improve. Maybe they need a new coach. But it's also possible things will finally click and they'll play to their potential.

Last edited:
Eh, you're being a bit precious... I don't think the Bulldogs are better than Geelong. I just made the point there wasn't a whole lot between them on the weekend. As you said, the game could've gone either way.

twhowler listed 9 teams he thought were a flag chance... 10 teams, if you include Freo as his "honourable mention".
He's got Gold Coast in there as his 9th pick... Just over 2 weeks ago, the Bulldogs flogged the Suns by 8 goals.

There's plenty of scope for improvement. They've got some really good emerging young talent and if Naughton can hit his straps, they will have a killer forward line.

Geelong is one of the best coached teams in the AFL: a high-functioning, well-oiled machine who do everything right. I wouldn't say there is a ton of improvement up their sleeves. Scott is getting the most out of the talent at his disposal. By contrast, the Bulldogs are still pretty dysfunctional. Maybe things won't improve. Maybe they need a new coach. But it's also possible things will finally click and they'll play to their potential.
Yeah fair enough. I thought they might go close last year, how wrong i was! probably more of a chance theoretically with their young talls a bit older.

I think they could also blow up but yes given their experience and talent they should have been at 9.

Agree with your last para and many other points.

Footscray has talent on the list but has a coach past his use by date. I don’t see them near the 8 let alone a Premiership threat.

A chastened but very smart Buckley may be the one to pull the Club together.

My Premiership contenders are just four.

Giants, Port, Geeling and Melbourne.

Melbourne has the best form in the competition so far - seeing off Sydney, Bulldogs and Port already.

Geelong going okish

GWS untested imo.

I worry for Melbourne that they are becoming the Geelong of 2012 - 2021. Around the top 4 (and a team that you need to beat if you want to be a top side) but never the best team in any given year.

I worry for Melbourne that they are becoming the Geelong of 2012 - 2021. Around the top 4 (and a team that you need to beat if you want to be a top side) but never the best team in any given year.

Competition isnt getting any easier that is for sure - but they have class spread all over the park - they can be choked out of games because they are relatively less blessed up forward with contested marking beasts - but you need to match them in the midfield and beat their strong defensive capability to have a shot.

For sure they arent 'unbeatable' - but most teams haven't got the all ground capability of matching them let alone beating them.

I think they will steam roll Collingwood and Brisbane and probably battle to beat GWS and Geelong.

Carlton doesn't get a mention in my books yet - playing crap but managing to win and waiting for some troops to get back serious run of hard games coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep disrespecting Carlton.

I’m taking notes.
Carlton are playing nowhere near to their form of last year and are down key players from that time as well...' unconvincing' is the word that pops into my mind re Carlton - so far.

I think it looks like we are going more like Gelong in 2022 with changing the game plan to try and rise up.

time will tell though

Unconvincingly only lost 1 game in an entire year.

Bar is high apparently.
The opposition teams are the ones setting the bar aren't they? a couple of months of serious tests coming up, one game against current 'contenders' after another...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back