AFL Autopsy RND 3: Done by the Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with Draper? Is he carrying something ? Nowhere near his previous output. Doesn't even look like impacting the contest.

There are 3 players in our defence who dont belong there and a defender out of the side cos he's not a ff or ruck.
Francis should play back with laverde to free up ridley more.

Redman needs to play forward.
Heppell is struggling but up on the ball was less a liability. Even hit a target in forward 50.

Wright, cutler, martin, tex all great
Shiel, mcgrath and parish were undersized but battled. Sooner we can get perkins on the ball the better

We were lucky the dees barely got out of third gear.
4.3 to weideman....we should let that sink in

Take out Guelfi, Ham, Phillips and Smith (sub) of that team and add Snelling, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Jones and Merrett and Langford for the starters with Hobbs, Cox and Reid hopefully pushing for selection eventually, you can see the genesis of the side we want to build around

Good point, add in a big mid and a half back that can kick and you have the foundations of a good side.

I am very harsh on the team because I am pretty sick of being mediocre but we can’t forget Perkins, Draper, Durham, Cox, Martin, Caldwell, Tex etc probably haven’t played 80 games between them.

Happy enough with the intent, just not good enough which we knew. Margin got out to a more realistic number in the end, their inaccuracy made it seem a little closer.

Two things stood out tonight,
Many of our players are not covering ground well. It's become obvious these first few weeks, opposition players are running past us, or we are having 1-2 players compete against 3-4 even if we smother or interrupt the ball there is no help.

Second, 3 weeks in a row a opposition player will have the ball and invites the pressure, they invite the tackle which draws our players in. Often have 2 players trying to tackle one bloke who then gets the hands off and they run off through the spare.
Need to be stronger in the tackle. Melbourne made a point of it last year, they even spoke about it. Trust the one making the tackle, don't get sucked in otherwise the best teams will use your man. I understand why they are doing it (we aren't mailing tackles) but it needs to be fixed.

Lastly, the usual whipping boys in ham and Guelfi applied some good pressure, just not good enough with the ball.
Very happy for Wright, really embracing his role as the man. That is a big step for him.

I thought the effort and pressure around the ground was there but the dees had another gear that we couldn't match
Liked Wright's game, will look even better when we get back some other marking options back like Jones and Tippa
McGrath as a defensive tagger looked like a success and gave our midfield better balance

Felt like we went into our shell when the game got close, our half backs not playing with the freedom we had last year due to different expectations I guess, plus their wingers are amazing defensive runners
Draper has got talent but needs to get more involved around the ground, coaches need to give him a simple game plan to make sure he is being used effectively outside the centre square
Heppell is a tricky one, he is still covering the ground but has lost pace and is getting rushed because of it, making poor decisions with the footy
In fairness I'd say that when we got that goal in front Melbourne's mids, and Oliver in particular , turned the wick right up and a few of our players , not necessarily mids, were found wanting under the blowtorch. Certainly agree re Draper, he is not the same player ATM that he was last year. Has taken very few marks round the ground and we really need him to provide that as an outlet when we get bogged down backward of centre. Hasn't hasd much presence in the centre square either on what I've seen.

Take out Guelfi, Ham, Phillips and Smith (sub) of that team and add Snelling, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Jones and Merrett and Langford for the starters with Hobbs, Cox and Reid hopefully pushing for selection eventually, you can see the genesis of the side we want to build around
Yep spot on

Jones is the big one

Even without Tip we’re looking at a FL of Pete, Jones, Perkins, Tex, Snelling and Stringer part time.

Maybe another tall like Reid with Langford half floating in

Pity we have so many injuries

All this big body mid crap everyone rants on about.

Merrett, Parish, Caldwell, McGrath , Stringer and a consistent Shiel is good enough for centre bounces

In general midfield play we just do dumb things because we can’t handle the heat most times

Dees have Trac yes

But Oliver is a string bean who is lightning quick with everything he does. And he just puts his head over the ball time and time again

Brayshaw and Langdon smart players with disposals

Hunt Harmes viney Neal bullen and kosi getting up ..they are all “ small”

Dees just work to a system they have developed because of a consistent line up

We are a rambling mob of young players and ins and outs without direction yet

This is the year to get it right and get set for next year

Redman, Hind and Draper were pretty bad, but other than that I'm decently happy vs last years premiers we were relatively competitive, Happy that Truck applied a tag to Petracca, But Oliver killed us instead. Can't wait to add Tippa back, We really lack inside 50 pressure.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have the most uncoordinated playing list?

Heppell, Redman, Cutler, Shiel, Hind, Ham, Cox to varying degrees. They are fine if they have space but get them on their non preferred and they can't kick or execute simple handballs. Such a weird trend to draft guys with obvious mobility weaknesses.

Many of you are bagging Heppell and Redman, who were both poor. But gee, Jake Kelly had a bigger stinker than those 2 put together

I’ve seen him in the past, and he’s been solid. Was all at sea tonight.

2M Peter was fantastic. Could and should have received a couple more free kicks. Can get even better if he starts using his size and strength more to his advantage.

Draper might be the youngest No 1 ruck in the league. Might be the worst No 1 ruck in the league also.

Just not a very cohesive performance yet this season. Need to get our season back on track with wins over Crows and Pies. Let’s see what happens.

Many of you are bagging Heppell and Redman, who were both poor. But gee, Jake Kelly had a bigger stinker than those 2 put together

I’ve seen him in the past, and he’s been solid. Was all at sea tonight.

2M Peter was fantastic. Could and should have received a couple more free kicks. Can get even better if he starts using his size and strength more to his advantage.

Draper might be the youngest No 1 ruck in the league. Might be the worst No 1 ruck in the league also.

Just not a very cohesive performance yet this season. Need to get our season back on track with wins over Crows and Pies. Let’s see what happens.
Apart from two junk time goals, what did Fritsch do? Kelly's in the side to stop mediums and smalls and he did that well tonight IMO

I think the main take away is that right now we are a fair way off the better sides in terms of experience, quality, depth and system.
That said I think there are some positives and I do think we'll get the wins ticking over soon even if not against the top 4 calibre sides we've played the last 2 weeks.

Some of the positives I'd say are:
Durham - Looks like he will be a great wing option for many years to come - he's the perfect size, uses the ball wall and is just a goer.
Martin - Very good as that wing/half forward option. He's got great composure even in heavy traffic. Seriously impressive first 2 games.
We just need to get more games into both these blokes as soon as possible.

Wright - If he can keep up this kind of form then he's easily good enough to be an AFL key forward and will be a long term part of his future (and I think he will be along with Jones)
McGrath - Liked him as a tagger both individually and in terms of giving our midfield a genuine shutdown option.
Ridley - Great game from him and his elite ball use was back. Hard to believe he's only just ticked over 50 games.
Shiel - Best game he's played for us in a while. The injury to Merrett may give him a sustained role in the midfield and a chance to get back to being the player we recruited him to be.
Cutler - Whilst he's not starring - if you look at our half backs right now he's probably about the only one playing to his potential.
Hind - He's been in a funk but I saw signs that he's working his way through it this game.
Phillips - Was surprisingly good coming in and against 2 terrific ruckman too. Had a good impact around the ground. As long as its not wet - I don't think he's the worst option coming in as a second ruck.

The negatives:
Heppell - was a bit better but still generally struggling. He's not even able to do his intercept marking behind the ball which has always been a staple of his game.
Redman - Probably needs to go back to the 2's and find some form. Nothing in his game is working right now. He's not running like he was in 2021 and his kicking is way off too.
Draper - Really poor effort against Melbourne. Only 2 touches. Hell Wanganeen had more touches and it was barely even in the forward line and he's a small forward. Probably nothing else to do than persist though - we know he'll be our main ruck for years to come and we have to get more games into him.
Ham - Isn't AFL level and we all know it. Did actually play a bit better this week in all honesty. If he had genuine finishing skills or could do anything in a marking contest there would probably be a long term role for him somewhere.
Guelfi - Cracks in hard but is just a bit below the level. Do enjoy his efforts and desperation in contests though. He sets an example that others could do worse than follow.

Problems away from the usual blokes who get kicked every week.

Ridley can not defend one on one.
Parish , FFS stand near someone at a stoppage. Does not have to be a negative role but the starting point needs to be a covering position against the good sides. People chip Sheil but a lot of the time he engages his opponent in some way , usually a push off. Does not always work but it is not a clear run at the footy.

Last edited:
Hopefully I can get back to this in some detail but, quickly, I think some perspective is needed.

There isn't scope or opportunity for mass changes after last night. They're the best side in it and have probably taken the Richmond style to the next level with a greater spread of talent, better talls, a significantly better ruck division feeding a significantly better first 3 mids.

That's where we're at essentially being toyed with by a side that good. We need to develop what it takes to stand up to the physical heat and pressure created by the defensive structure.

The only players I though were genuinely poor, in terms of a total inability to execute, and without excuse, were Heppell, Redman and Hind. Some players played well and the rest were broken as part of a combination that never stood a chance.

How does it change? Draper, Durham, Cox, Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin, Perkins, Tex and perhaps Voss all grow and gain experience. Some game time into Stringer and Shiel wouldn't hurt either.

Apart from two junk time goals, what did Fritsch do? Kelly's in the side to stop mediums and smalls and he did that well tonight IMO

He gave 3 free kicks away. Very sloppy defending, mostly because he was out of position or watching the man, not the ball. Needs to be better than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back