AFL Autopsy RND 2: Loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ham and Hurley will go, Cutler has done enough to earn another year but it will be interesting to see what happens with Hep. I don't think the club would have the guts to not renew him, even if it becomes evident he's completely cooked.

Shiel for a 3rd is a bad call.

I can accept that a 3rd is low for Shiel and we’d only trade if we got a fair outcome, but he is one that should be on the table if he doesn’t play a role for us.

Heppell out would be gutsy, though the successful teams aren’t afraid to make the big calls.

Well done Lloydy.....keep calling it out ....this club and some supporters keep believing there is no role for a tagger .....last time we tagged, held down, shut-down, run with ....call it whatever you want....was a guy by the name of Dylan Clarke on Cripps and how did that go....if anyone recalls......haven't seen it effectively done since..and no place for a role by this guy on our list........wake up .....next week it's Petracca and Oliver .....we gonna back our players against these two elite premier mids.....if not ...we're gonna know the result... ... hope I'm wrong....

Cant see a shiel trade happening. Still best 22 and has a role as an outside mid.

Heppell will get an extension. Smith got one. Heppell will get one.

Cant see hurley going on.

Ham, who knows. Is borderline 22. Our depth aint great.

Stewart, laverde, mcgrath, hind, baldwin, lamgford, reid, durham and cox you'd think are no brainers.

Where things get interesting are some other kids
Waterman, guelfi and martin - all ex WA.
Francis - what happens there...is he happy as a forward or do the crows/port look at getting a quality young defender in.
Tippa - does he continue
Mcbride, tex, hird, brand, eyre, voss and phillips - come years end what is their future.

Still very much in rebuild mode
Which does raise the question - does shiel see success in his career with us?
To a club who needs a quality outside mid and could win a flag in the next 2 years, what is he worth?

Well done Lloydy.....keep calling it out ....this club and some supporters keep believing there is no role for a tagger .....last time we tagged, held down, shut-down, run with ....call it whatever you want....was a guy by the name of Dylan Clarke on Cripps and how did that go....if anyone recalls......haven't seen it effectively done since..and no place for a role by this guy on our list........wake up .....next week it's Petracca and Oliver .....we gonna back our players against these two elite premier mids.....if not ...we're gonna know the result... ... hope I'm wrong....
Cripps was a broken man in that game.

Much is made of the clarke job, but what you want is someone like berry. Good enough to also compete whilst doing the job.

Ham, Cutler, Heppell and Hurley are all out of contract this year. None of these players should be offered another contract. Smith is contracted to next year unfortunately.

Heppell and Hurley gone should free up a fair bit in the cap.

Finish bottom 6 and draft the best KPF available (Lemmey, Keeler). Draft Davey x2 and Alessio, Munkara if possible.

Get in a defensive midfielder that can help Parish and Merrett out as they are offensive mids (still don’t know why we didn’t try for Hewett). Maybe even an experienced defender across half back for some leadership.

Trade out 2023 picks if it’s the right call and can get talent in.

Put Francis, Shiel on the trade table for 3rd round draft picks (unlikely they’ll command a 2nd).

That’s how we can cut the fat and improve.

I like all of that

Smith can capt vfl side

Ham and Hurley will go, Cutler has done enough to earn another year but it will be interesting to see what happens with Hep. I don't think the club would have the guts to not renew him, even if it becomes evident he's completely cooked.

Shiel for a 3rd is a bad call.
Shiel is a very vanilla midfielder who when in of the side it makes no difference he’s there

Might as well get something for him while he’s got value

Cutler ..what’s the point of keeping him

Good back up player for injuries that’s about all

Shiel is a very vanilla midfielder who when in of the side it makes no difference he’s there

"Very vanilla". He's a top 20 clearance midfielder in the comp at his best.

I mean, that's exactly the point of depth

shiel's output doesn't match the contract he's on but he is still a good clearance player and adds more value than a lot of the blokes running around out there, though i wouldn't be opposed to letting him go if we're serious about a full rebuild.
what you've just described is a depth player, which is what cutler is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very expensive depth player ? How much have we seen of his best and will he get any better, cut our losses I say ?
I think you're a bit confused. Top line is about Shiel. Second one about Cutler.

Shiel was comfortably amongst our best last week and is now injured.

Execution was ordinary and cost us the game, but at least the intensity was there for the most part unlike last week.

Forward line is really missing Jones and Tippa. Just not enough quality to really worry teams unless our midfield is dominating.

Thought Kelly was impressive.

Berry was holding Merrett back from the contest at times, effectively tagging.
Sheil was doing the same in the Geelong game but it is generally limited to stoppages or center bounces.

Sheil was doing the same in the Geelong game but it is generally limited to stoppages or center bounces.
Yes, not the hard tag of the 80s/90s but still important at the stoppages. Saw Berry face Merrett and hold him out of the contest a few times. I thought that was a free kick these days?

Yes, not the hard tag of the 80s/90s but still important at the stoppages. Saw Berry face Merrett and hold him out of the contest a few times. I thought that was a free kick these days?
I thought it was as well.

shiel's output doesn't match the contract he's on but he is still a good clearance player and adds more value than a lot of the blokes running around out there, though i wouldn't be opposed to letting him go if we're serious about a full rebuild.
what you've just described is a depth player, which is what cutler is.

No. I didn’t say he was a depth player.

I’m saying if we off load him this year we could swap for a younger player or draft pick.

With the midfield talent age we have and hopefully Hobbs turning out to be very good, shiel is not a massive priority to keep until he reaches the end in a few years time. He gets injured a lot too. Only gets more risky the older he gets.

No. I didn’t say he was a depth player.

I’m saying if we off load him this year we could swap for a younger player or draft pick.
yeah i should've broken up my reply into two quotes, i agree that shiel could be worth offloading.
i was talking about cutler as depth, back up for injuries is exactly what he's there for

Cutler has done enough to earn another year
nana changing GIF

This is the kind of thinking that has led to us being so shit for so long....
He wouldn't get a game in any other top 8 (12?) side, why on earth would we extend him? I realise he's not been the worst, those performing worse than him (smith, ham etc) should all be shown the door this asap.
Hanging on to blokes like Francis, cutler etc in the vain hopes that they'll finally come good is embarrassing and they should have been shown the door last year (if not beforehand)

What we lack is that player who attacks the ball as mode 1.

I think Caldwell and Hobbs are both that kind of player, one is just drafted and the other needs a clear run at it.

If you got (say) an on-ball group of Caldwell, Hobbs, Parish with Shiel and Merrett able to play more outside games we’d be a lot better balanced.

Hobbs is a couple of years away from being a clearance animal at AFL level (assuming he makes it) and Caldwell hopefully gets a good run now to show us what he can be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back