UK Rishi Sunak new British PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Local elections have been pretty dire for them.

Down 1,000 councillors with Labour, Lib Dems and Greens all benefitting.

And lost control in some fairly blue-blood areas. Windsor and Maidenhead taken by the Lib Dems outright.

That's my old hood, I was delighted to see that. You can be as posh like round there but much to the chagrin of the locals you still have a Slough postcode.

Home Secretary Suella Braverman is under fire over her failure to formally disclose previous work with the Rwandan government. She was the director of a charity training its lawyers for five years.

Several people the charity worked with are now key members of President Paul Kagame’s government and are involved in the UK’s £140m deal to send asylum seekers to Rwanda.

The discovery that hundreds of schools across England still have some dodgy old concrete holding them together couldn't more perfectly encapsulate the absolute mess this country now finds itself in.

You can't blame the current lot of Tories for the building choices back in the 1970's, 80's etc but you can blame them for drastically reducing budgets over hte last decade, including for school renovations which would have helped alleviate the problem.

The discovery that hundreds of schools across England still have some dodgy old concrete holding them together couldn't more perfectly encapsulate the absolute mess this country now finds itself in.

You can't blame the current lot of Tories for the building choices back in the 1970's, 80's etc but you can blame them for drastically reducing budgets over hte last decade, including for school renovations which would have helped alleviate the problem.

Went austerity when our govt was using ‘school halls’ to stimulate the economy.

Of course our conservatives opposed that with a passion, ironic when you consider fed govt money has allowed private schools to build into what resembles luxury resorts. Wellness centres etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

making smoking illegal for all people 14 and under for life. Effectively making smoking illegal eventually.

credit where credit is due. Great policy. Lets hope others adopt it.
It's like the war on drugs has taught them nothing, making something like that illegal won't work and I note alcohol once again escapes accusatory gaze.

the same as selling 13 year olds cigarettes i assume.

I see it’s already illegal under 18 now, so the law gets teeth in 4 years time? I don’t see how it reduces how kids get smokes now. The supply is already illegal.

As many point out the problem now is vapes. Clearly the industry has knobbled the initiative, an sunak is getting huge pats on the back for a law he’ll never have to enforce, as seems doomed to losing govt

Buddying up with the Italian far right to echo their racist rhetoric.

Sadly this is all leading towards a Macronesque election, where the UK will get the Prime Minister they all voted for but whom none of them want.

making smoking illegal for all people 14 and under for life. Effectively making smoking illegal eventually.

credit where credit is due. Great policy. Lets hope others adopt it.

To steal a gag from Paul Merton on HIGNFY: "The tories plan on using the same approach with the pension".

Interesting to see a Government finally do something on smoking supply other than raising taxes. Be very interesting to see how it plays out. Can't see BAT going "Oh well, we've had a good run. Time to pack it up I guess"

It's like the war on drugs has taught them nothing, making something like that illegal won't work and I note alcohol once again escapes accusatory gaze.
Did you think the same thing when new zealands adhern government introduced the same policy? The greens in australia are also getting very close to adopting the same policy.

It's about time they got a new PM right?
They've had five in the last eight years
With another absolute trouncing in two by-elections Sunak and his party are toast and changing the leader will do nothing to change this fact
That was an absolute hammering.
Hard to see what they have to campaign on now, other than the "War on Woke"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back