What the heck? Richmond Station after an MCG game

Remove this Banner Ad

What a dumb question. Why should I pay tax for things like schools and hospitals that I never use?

It's called a society.
So what happens for MCC or club members? Do now they need to pay more cause they get free transport to games even though they might not be going to the footy?

Really? Or does it just not match your selfish narrative?

It's a fine analogy. Public transport is just as critical a public service as any other.
No it’s not my tax will pay for them to upgrade the station so it’s easier to access which I’m fine with, having to pay extra on top of membership however for something I won’t use heck that.

Last edited:
Scanning in is not the problem at Richmond.
The problem is many thousands of people trying to enter a station which is poorly designed for large crowds and trains not arriving or departing quickly enough. Removing scanning in just moves the crush from outside the station to inside the tunnel and on the platforms which is a much more dangerous situation. Not having to scan in wouldn't get people home any quicker.

Those who catch Lilydale/Belgrave trains on platform 9/10 would know the problem, there is always a Glen Waverley train arriving then leaving and then another one pulls up and sits there for 5-10 minutes waiting to depart 3/4 empty while thousands of people are waiting for a Lilydale/Belgrave train to arrive and when it does it's already half full of people coming from the city. This always happens at Hawks games.

Anyway, hopefully this redev they are talking about will fix it all and provide easier access.
This is 100% spot on, I’d take the train most weeks if they didn’t shaft people who want to take a train on the lilydale line, I can drive in and still get home quicker like heck I’m gonna wait at the station for 30 minutes for the joke of s train service let alone have to pay more on top of my membership when the gates isn’t even a problem.

Metro are the biggest joke in public transport history, been using the system for 40 years going to the footy and its just got worse not better.

And don't start me on Southern cross!

As well as the normal timetabled trains - you have a couple in the sidings waiting and they just rock in and clear the platforms
As above case in point(Lilydale line), how many times over the years I've seen a Normal timetabled Glen Waverly and a footy special Glen Waverly on the platforms at the same time mind you, leave not even 1/2 full while the platform remains Jam packed with Lilydale passengers and a timetabled Lilydale then rocks up from the city already jam packed with shoppers. They are ******* brain dead.

Or a Belgrave leave 80% full followed by an UPFTG special 5 mins later same scenario

I've had this discussion with them (On the phone politely) and suggest they send staff out to investigate and report on this stuff, they say they do studies all the time (Im not talking new age uni pen pushers doing numbers and waffle behind a computer)

I'm talking allocating and sending staff on trains on each line at all times and for all events and report on these things - But that would be to much work for these precious things going out into the big wide world and having to deal with these situations....Well that's the theory I have come too

Last edited:
Metro are the biggest joke in public transport history, been using the system for 40 years going to the footy and its just got worse not better.

As well as the normal timetabled trains - you have a couple in the sidings waiting and they just rock in and clear the platforms
As above case in point(Lilydale line), how many times over the years I've seen a Normal timetabled Glen Waverly and a footy special Glen Waverly on the platforms at the same time mind you, leave not even 1/2 full while the platform remains Jam packed with Lilydale passengers and a timetabled Lilydale then rocks up from the city already jam packed with shoppers. They are ******* brain dead.

Or a Belgrave leave 80% full followed by an UPFTG special 5 mins later same scenario

I've had this discussion with them (On the phone politely) and suggest they send staff out to investigate and report on this stuff, they say they do studies all the time (Im not talking new age uni pen pushers doing numbers and waffle behind a computer)

I'm talking allocating and sending staff on trains on each line at all times and for all events and report on these things - But that would be to much work for these precious things going out into the big wide world and having to deal with these situations....Well that's the theory I have come too
My favourite is when they say lilydale passengers take Belgrave train and change at Ringwood station only to get off at Ringwood and not have a train waiting but waiting for the lilydale train that departed from the city 20 minutes after the train you just got off.
How they can neglect one line so much is a joke.

They were on the radio this very AM still surprised that there were empty Glen Waverley trains and not enough to Ringwood. It's like they are incapable of learning.

Scanning in is not the problem at Richmond.
The problem is many thousands of people trying to enter a station which is poorly designed for large crowds and trains not arriving or departing quickly enough. Removing scanning in just moves the crush from outside the station to inside the tunnel and on the platforms which is a much more dangerous situation. Not having to scan in wouldn't get people home any quicker.

Those who catch Lilydale/Belgrave trains on platform 9/10 would know the problem, there is always a Glen Waverley train arriving then leaving and then another one pulls up and sits there for 5-10 minutes waiting to depart 3/4 empty while thousands of people are waiting for a Lilydale/Belgrave train to arrive and when it does it's already half full of people coming from the city. This always happens at Hawks games.

Anyway, hopefully this redev they are talking about will fix it all and provide easier access.

I used to catch the train every home game from Box Hill but have been driving the past few years. As I posted earlier, I caught the train this past week. As I was walking to the station post game I wondered to myself if it was gonna be like old days (i.e. platform crowded as heck whilst a near empty Glen Waverley train departs). Sure enough, it was like old days. And sure enough, the Belgrave/Lilydale train coming in was half full from people from the city.

Don’t the Belgrave, lilydale and glen glen Waverley lines all use platform 9? I swear that’s where more than 50% of the people go, and they all have to be jammed on one platform with one train coming at a time. Also platform 10 is out of use as far as I’m aware, which used to be used by those lines, so that’s now halved their capacity.

Reckon that’s what’s causing the jam.

Don’t the Belgrave, lilydale and glen glen Waverley lines all use platform 9? I swear that’s where more than 50% of the people go, and they all have to be jammed on one platform with one train coming at a time. Also platform 10 is out of use as far as I’m aware, which used to be used by those lines, so that’s now halved their capacity.

Reckon that’s what’s causing the jam.[/QUOTE
10 does get used for specials. Everything else 9. That's because a train can't access 10 from the City Loop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange that it seems they don't do many specials anymore. Used to always be able to walk up and jam onto a Glen Waverley train on platform 10.
After a day game you'll see specials to Glen Waverley and Sandringham and that's because they have a train every 20 minutes apart. Everywhere else has a 10 minute frequency so they don't run them.
Twilight and Night games there are more.
pwLVon0.png

Next Tuesday for example is fairly typical of what runs.

And if you think it's bad normally. Have Geelong play. The Pakenham/Cranbourne ramp can become unusable with the flood of Geelong people.
They have in recent years opened up the Swan Street side of the sport subway. It's always empty. When I leave gate 1/6/7 I walk over the tracks and past AAMI park to get to the station.

After a day game you'll see specials to Glen Waverley and Sandringham and that's because they have a train every 20 minutes apart. Everywhere else has a 10 minute frequency so they don't run them.
Twilight and Night games there are more.
pwLVon0.png

Next Tuesday for example is fairly typical of what runs.

And if you think it's bad normally. Have Geelong play. The Pakenham/Cranbourne ramp can become unusable with the flood of Geelong people.
They have in recent years opened up the Swan Street side of the sport subway. It's always empty. When I leave gate 1/6/7 I walk over the tracks and past AAMI park to get to the station.
It's been noticeably bad recently, and definitely needs a full overhaul. The high capacity trains will ease the congestion on the Pakenham line, but they are nearly 10 years away AND you'll have to go basically to flinders st to use them.
Hopefully the first thing on the new government/AFL deal is that.

It's been noticeably bad recently, and definitely needs a full overhaul. The high capacity trains will ease the congestion on the Pakenham line, but they are nearly 10 years away AND you'll have to go basically to flinders st to use them.
Hopefully the first thing on the new government/AFL deal is that.
First HCMT starts next year and will use the loop. They don't use the Metro tunnel until 2025.
But yes it needs a massive overhaul.

Not that we play there much, but when I go to games at the G, I always walk back into the city and get a train or bus from there. Why would you even bother going to Richmond station?

The problem is not paying for the train. The problem is congestion.

Solution: Give option to pay for public transport through either a direct debit ok your membership or ticket price.

Update myki software to detect this.

Membership card or ticket can be scanned by ticket inspectors to confirm no free loaders.

Non footygoers still pay the regular way by touching on.

Boom youre welcome metro.

This is what happens when you privatise public transport, the same result as privatising gas and electricity providers. You get a culture of profits before service as companies pander to shareholders, not customers. Less staff, more delays, poorer maintenance and inadequate infrastructure.
Not to mention successive state governments neglecting public transport in favour of endless private toll roads, the majority of which are bloody useless (cough cough monash).
End rant

I'm thinking of moving to Glen Waverly because there are two half empty Glen Waverly trains trains sitting there every time I make it the the platform.

Belgrave and Lilydale......No train for you.

I'm thinking of moving to Glen Waverly because there are two half empty Glen Waverly trains trains sitting there every time I make it the the platform.

Belgrave and Lilydale......No train for you.
And when our trains finally come 30 minutes later they’re already ******* full!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back