Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Having thought about it more - these are the type and calibre of players I would only consider offering up our first pick this year for (given its likely a top 6 pick)

IN order as follows:

Finn Callaghan - Tall, quick, skillfull midfielder in the perfect age bracket. Absolute definition of who we need. Total gun. Watch his game against Bris last week if in any doubt.

Chad Warner - Quick, skillful, tough midfielder who has X factor and can kick goals. Again, perfect age bracket too.

Noah Anderson - Skillfull, tough midfielder who is now starting to get goals. Not super quick but very crafty. Yes please.

*Clayton Oliver - Yes, this is the most risky but it would be a bold brave call buy the AFC which I would be open to if he stays healthy. At 26 would give us 5 quality years and immediately be an upgrade on Laird and take pressure off Dawson in midfield. Yes people will say wait till hes a FA, but then we would be waaaay down the qeue as at least 10 other clubs will be desperate to get him. As I said, would have to be bold.

Caleb Serong - Quality young mid starting to show his wares. Would instantly make up for the Macasey pick debacle.

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - Qaulity ball user, skillfull, quick and would be an instant long term Smith replacement.

Sam Flanders - Mid/Half back who is racking up the numbers and could fill a number of roles for us. Really like how he has developed. Reminds me a bit of a young Sloaney with his tough courageous approach.

Just an initial short list - but really just to show the calibre of player we would have to target to have any confidence giving up a top pick in a stacked midfielder draft this year.
Wasn't Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera part of our NGA squad at one stage. Great miss by our talent spotting squad.Could have picked him up previous year.

Moving from the start of the round to the end of the round is probably a bit more significant than you're posing now.
Was Pick 9 to Pick 14

This year the gap might be a bit wider :$

It's lucky that any potential trades involving our future 1st fell through given that we'd have internally valued it to be in the 15-18 range

Wasn't Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera part of our NGA squad at one stage. Great miss by our talent spotting squad.Could have picked him up previous year.
Missing talent seems standard for us now. Can only assume they didn’t like his family, or some other BS like that.

No. God the level of misinformation and inability to conduct even the smallest level of research on this board is astounding.

You might be thinking of Leek Aleer who didn't show much in his u18 year as a forward and was overlooked by literally every club. He was then moved back at Centrals in his 19th year and showed a bit more but was available on the open market.

Having thought about it more - these are the type and calibre of players I would only consider offering up our first pick this year for (given its likely a top 6 pick)

IN order as follows:

Finn Callaghan - Tall, quick, skillfull midfielder in the perfect age bracket. Absolute definition of who we need. Total gun. Watch his game against Bris last week if in any doubt.

Chad Warner - Quick, skillful, tough midfielder who has X factor and can kick goals. Again, perfect age bracket too.

Noah Anderson - Skillfull, tough midfielder who is now starting to get goals. Not super quick but very crafty. Yes please.

*Clayton Oliver - Yes, this is the most risky but it would be a bold brave call buy the AFC which I would be open to if he stays healthy. At 26 would give us 5 quality years and immediately be an upgrade on Laird and take pressure off Dawson in midfield. Yes people will say wait till hes a FA, but then we would be waaaay down the qeue as at least 10 other clubs will be desperate to get him. As I said, would have to be bold.

Caleb Serong - Quality young mid starting to show his wares. Would instantly make up for the Macasey pick debacle.

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - Qaulity ball user, skillfull, quick and would be an instant long term Smith replacement.

Sam Flanders - Mid/Half back who is racking up the numbers and could fill a number of roles for us. Really like how he has developed. Reminds me a bit of a young Sloaney with his tough courageous approach.

Just an initial short list - but really just to show the calibre of player we would have to target to have any confidence giving up a top pick in a stacked midfielder draft this year.
The great thing about trading rather than drafting is that you have way less risk. So, for example NWM is probably worth more than his original mid-late first pick because he’s a proven very good AFL-level performer.

So just to get this right. You make up a bit of fake information? Then criticise the club because of the fake bit of information you made up?

No. God the level of misinformation and inability to conduct even the smallest level of research on this board is astounding.

You might be thinking of Leek Aleer who didn't show much in his u18 year as a forward and was overlooked by literally every club. He was then moved back at Centrals in his 19th year and showed a bit more but was available on the open market.
My bad. You're correct I was thinking of Leek Aleer.

My bad. You're correct I was thinking of Leek Aleer.
I don't think we ever had access to him but he did train with ours at one stage

Nasiah Wanganeen has talent running through his veins, with dad Terry Milera and uncle Gavin Wanganeen by his side.

The 17-year-old midfielder’s silky skills were on show when he lined up with team Grundy in the SA All-Stars game in October.

During that game, he showed speed, almost took the mark of the night in the second quarter and soccered a close-range goal in the last term.

Wanganeen, who this year featured in Glenelg’s under-18 side, had also been part of Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal Academy and the Crows’ Next Generation Academy.

“Being in the academies has been a good experience and it’s been great to be surrounded by professionals, past and present players, who have passed down a bit of their knowledge to me”

The great thing about trading rather than drafting is that you have way less risk. So, for example NWM is probably worth more than his original mid-late first pick because he’s a proven very good AFL-level performer.

Spot on - Given our very iffy drafting, IF we could get a proven talent that's already done there 3-4 year AFL apprenticeship - that would be perfect for us.

Like the Pick 5 trade for Rankine.... I know there was mixed opinions but you really do that trade all day long to get a talent like him that was on the cusp of breaking out versus an unknown 18 year old.

Spot on - Given our very iffy drafting, IF we could get a proven talent that's already done there 3-4 year AFL apprenticeship - that would be perfect for us.

Like the Pick 5 trade for Rankine.... I know there was mixed opinions but you really do that trade all day long to get a talent like him that was on the cusp of breaking out versus an unknown 18 year old.
With our top pick track record no wonder we gave up 5 so quickly.

Given we are likely to have two picks for the mid year draft, I've started wondering how we will manage to completely stuff it up.

So far I've got us either going:
1 pick, then a pass - because our list is already stacked.

Or 2 picks in which we go for a tall to fill in around Gollant/Burgess/Himmelberg until Thilthorpe comes back, and a small half forward/mid that is no chance of playing AFL for us.

So here it is, my prediction:
1st pick: Toby Murray. Tall ruck/forward. Brother of Nick. Good bloke, good family. Likely to only ever be serviceable at SANFL level, but what a great story.
2nd pick: Will Snelling. Sub 180 cm. Tries hard. Has some experience. Good SANFL player. Perfect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back