Food & Drink Recipe Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Spicy Sausages & Rice
When Gordon Ramsay isn't being a complete arse for the camera's he's an amazing chef and his simple recipes are fantastic.

I cook this one all the time and can highly recommend. You absolutely need to make sure the sausage is either Continental or Italian though, for the flavour.

1) Yes it can be frozen. I split what I eat now vs what I'm going to (freeze - leave the tomatoes/spring onions/parsley out and add later when re-heated)

Ingredients to serve 4
1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
1 red onion, sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped (but not too small)
2 garlic cloves, very finely sliced
5 spiced sausages, e.g. Italian/Continental
1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
200g long-grain uncooked rice (1 cup)
½ glass dry white wine
500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
4 spring onions (scallions) trimmed and sliced
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped

Tips and Tricks:
Deglaze the pan by pouring in the white wine and scraping any bits stuck to the bottom after you add the rice but before you add the stock
After you add the stock, turn the temp down and let the stock simmer down
Cook gently for 15–20 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid almost entirely absorbed.
Keep an eye on it and stir from time to time. Remove from the heat, then fold in the spring onions, tomato and parsley and serve.

Last edited:
Non Cook Orange Cake
This non-cook highly recommends this SBS recipe:
2 oranges boiled for 2 hours, then (with skins) blitzed when cool
6 eggs with 1 cup of caster sugar (I used pseudo sugar) whizzed, 2¼ cups of almond meal and 1 tsp of baking powder

Aussie Beef Pie
Tried some Native Finger Lime, it's amazing! Very intense flavour but delicious, great with cake imo. It's sort of a cross between lime/orange.

I think it'll be great with thai fried rice/thai dishes too. A tad expensive but a small amount goes a long way and you can freeze it too.

Tried some Native Finger Lime, it's amazing! Very intense flavour but delicious, great with cake imo. It's sort of a cross between lime/orange.

I think it'll be great with thai fried rice/thai dishes too. A tad expensive but a small amount goes a long way and you can freeze it too.

Oh man, these are the bomb. I love them! And I love shopping at Harris Farm, so many goodies!

Here you go - be inspired. It goes really well with fish.

I wish more native ingredients would be common at supermarkets and promoted more in cooking shows etc, it's slowly gaining popularity but things like finger limes can be hard to find. I've tried Kangaroo, quite lean. Good in a stir fry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish more native ingredients would be common at supermarkets and promoted more in cooking shows etc, it's slowly gaining popularity but things like finger limes can be hard to find. I've tried Kangaroo, quite lean. Good in a stir fry.
I don't eat chops anymore. Have marinated kangaroo from Woollies instead. You just have to cook it right.

3 months without a post is way too long for this thread. So I cooked this tonight and its perfect.

I used 2 pork medallions that were quiet thick, so I browned them as well as I could, then stuck them into the oven over the mix much earlier to ensure they were cooked through.

If you're a single lady/gent you can then put one medallion aside together with half the fennel/apple/onion mix for the next day. And you only need 1 fennel bulb.

Last edited:
I did sous vide chicken breasts for the first time tonight. Turned out well assuming I didn't poison myself

Gonna try steaks tomorrow. Blow next pay hahaha if it goes well I'll post pictures

I did sous vide chicken breasts for the first time tonight. Turned out well assuming I didn't poison myself

Gonna try steaks tomorrow. Blow next pay hahaha if it goes well I'll post pictures
I got take away because it is the last day of term and had a serious case of the CBF's. Your culinary exploits put me to shame.

Fried Rice - 3 Ways
I use this recipe from the Dumpling Sisters all the time and I love it!

And in case the link goes here's the recipe: First things first - Overnight your cooked rice. Allow it to cool on a flat pan, wrap in plastic then stick in the fridge over night.

SERVES
INGREDIENTS
FOR THE EGGS

3 EGGS
1/8 TSP SALT
1/4 TSP VEGETABLE OIL
1/2 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL FOR FRYING
CLASSIC SPECIAL FRIED RICE
400G (UNCOOKED WEIGHT) LONG GRAIN WHITE RICE: COOKED, COOLED AND REFRIGERATED OVERNIGHT.
2 1/2 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL
1 MEDIUM-SIZED CARROT, DICED INTO SMALL CUBES
100G FROZEN PEAS
1/2 TBSP GINGER, FINELY DICED
1 CLOVE GARLIC, FINELY DICED
100G CHAR SIU PORK, DICED INTO SMALL CUBES
100G COOKED AND PEELED SMALL PRAWNS
100G COOKED CHICKEN, DICED INTO SMALL CUBES
1/4 TSP SALT
1/2 TSP LIGHT SOY
1/2 TBSP SUGAR
1/8 TSP PEPPER
5 TBSP COLD WATER
2 SPRIGS SPRING ONION, SLICED INTO ROUNDS
TIM’S FRIED EGG SPECIAL (PER PERSON)
1 EGG
1/2 TSP VEGETABLE OIL
1 TSP LIGHT SOY SAUCE
FRIED SHALLOTS FOR GARNISH
CURRY SPECIAL (FOR THE WHOLE QUANTITY OF CLASSIC SPECIAL FRIED RICE)
1 1/2 TSP CURRY POWDER
2 TBSP WATER
SLICED RED CHILLI FOR GARNISH

Whisk the eggs with the salt and ¼ tsp of oil. Put your wok on medium heat and add the ½ tbsp of oil, followed by the eggs. Let the eggs set on the bottom for 10 seconds before moving them around gently with a spatula. Cook for a further 20 seconds until the eggs are partially set, then remove them from the wok and set aside.Give your wok a quick wipe with a paper towel then put it over a high heat. Stir fry the carrots with ½ tbsp of oil until glossy, then add 1 tbsp of the cold water. Cover and steam for a minute. Take off the lid and add in the peas, stir frying briefly, then remove the veg from the wok.With the wok on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil followed by the diced ginger and garlic. Slightly brown the ginger and garlic for 15 seconds before adding the char siu, chicken, and prawns. Stir fry for one minute until the meat starts to blister around the edges.Add the rice to the meat, using your spatula to loosen the grains and to get rid of any lumps. Add 1 tbsp of oil, salt, light soy, sugar and pepper. Toss until the seasonings are well mixed and the rice is piping hot.Break up the cooked eggs with your spatula then add them to the rice along with the cooked veg. Continue folding and tossing for another two minutes to combine all of the ingredients. Add the remaining water and toss for another minute. Finally, add the spring onions and fold to combine.

TO MAKE TIM’S FRIED EGG SPECIAL
Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the oil and crack in an egg. Cook for until the egg white has just started to set, then drizzle the light soy sauce around the edge of the egg. Let the soy sauce caramelise and turn crispy before slipping the cooked egg atop a bowl of Special Fried Rice. Sprinkle fried shallots on top and pierce the runny yolk with a sharp knife.

TO MAKE THE CURRY SPECIAL
Fold the curry powder into the Special Fried Rice. It will turn a lovely bright golden colour. Add the extra water and toss for a further minute before serving up and garnishing with sliced red chillies.

Holy smokes Millky95 do you go the whole vacuum seal and proper sous vide water thingie??
Nah I use zip lock bags from Costco hahaha the immersion circulator was a gift from the missus. She just got the stick part so I used the biggest pot we have hahaha

Will be getting a better container tomorrow though. The pot was just big enough

Episode 3 of "Millky has a new kitchen toy which is now his personality" is sous vide barramundi. Did 2 pieces, first was just salt and pepper. Was alright. 2nd was marinated in olive oil, garlic, chili flakes and lemon juice. I wasn't a fan of it but I think that was more with the choice of fish than anything else

My brother, absolutely loved it though.

In 2 weeks trialing this burger patty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back