Autopsy Rd 8: Dogs battle bravely and come up just short against Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to

Then old mate piped up

Gonna try again here

Leave it alone
cry baby GIF

Yes. It’s all very well to say “Play the kids” but when we then lose, it’s “Sack the coach”.

The older players at least know the ropes, as well as each other. There’s a lot to be said for team stability and the chemistry of knowing what your teammates’ strengths and weaknesses are. At the moment, during the “evolution” there are too many unknowns out there, week to week.

We lost to a list full of young players who wouldn’t get a game for us.

We have some of the most talented youth in the league, but it’s evident they are not getting coached to succeed.

Seriously, how can JUH/Darcy/Naughton be so invisible against a Hawthorn team with a tapered defence. How can a mid field with Bont Libba and Treloar get bypassed so easily.

There are so many coaching concerns that are evident on the field. Our lists shits on Hawthorn’s and we were lucky to be as close.

I refuse to believe a different coach couldn’t get more out of the team.

Umps had nothing to do with the final result.

Question, when was the last time we looked like a hardened, mature side who doesn't get pushed around? (I'm not counting BS wins like the Suns in Ballarat). So much of this can be traced back to the 2021 granny, followed by the cherry on top 2022 elimination final. A lot of players, coaches and certainly the club as a whole have been forever scarred from those events.

Your midfield out played ours. I wouldnt be putting the loss on them. They won the clearance and their dominance in the center clearance where most your goals were generated from kept you guys in the game.

It takes a special kind trying to compensate for their own life inadequacy to troll on another team's board on a football forum.

Sad really.
Love the attempt of moral championing when if you read my first comment, was just a point about disagreeing regarding a free kick

Sad really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your midfield out played ours. I wouldnt be putting the loss on them. They won the clearance and their dominance in the center clearance where most your goals were generated from kept you guys in the game.
Yes and no. The midfield wins clearances, but does not defend a turnover at all. And thats where Hawthorn scored the bulk of their goals from

Yes and no. The midfield wins clearances, but does not defend a turnover at all. And thats where Hawthorn scored the bulk of their goals from
While some of the pressure and quality of defending ball movement was a bit off, on the outside, the midfield more or less did their job to allow Hawks to only get 49 inside 50's, 4 below their season average. It was the defenders defending that lost us the game.

While some of the pressure and quality of defending ball movement was a bit off, on the outside, the midfield more or less did their job to allow Hawks to only get 49 inside 50's, 4 below their season average. It was the defenders defending that lost us the game.

It was the defenders repeatedly handing the ball back to Hawthorn in their own forward line. We put ourselves in indefensible situations. The intention for our ball movement is confused and so are the players. Are they running and linking by handball, kicking direct, looking to move up the middle, or going wide and slow, looking for switches until there’s space? It’s hard to work out from watching them. We’ve reverted from trying to run and carry into quick transition to chipping wide and slow over the last month.

That’s why we cop such a raw deal. No one else just accepts it like we do.

Most other fans would be screaming about how they were robbed, and highlighting all the times Hawthorn players should have been penalised in the last minutes of the game.

Not us, that’s largely why we are treated the way we are.
The umpires were awful. The rest is just the usual woe is me defeatist crap that we as supporters have historically fallen back on during our pitiful history.

To use the umpires as a crutch to prop up the shambolic way that our side played on weekend is just a cop out.

This game was lost at selection, when we chose to go in so tall against a side almost bereft of the same.

I could understand this approach if it was a well oiled machine, smashing teams off the park with its aerial dominance. But it just isn't. The reality is that it didn't look like working when we tried it last year. And it shows no signs of working this year. Indeed it's an albatross around our neck as we are shown up week after week by better balanced teams that have more run and a willingness to work hard both ways.

We were absolutely smashed in work rate. Our two way running is non existent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506-103324_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240506-103324_AFL.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 39
Again, the team doesn't play with sufficient intensity. They are often outnumbered at the contest. The opposition is able to break tackles too easily. I think we have the cattle to be a finals contender but without sufficient and consistent intensity we are going nowhere.

Ultimately this is on Bevo. Unfortunately, I don't think you can "flick a switch" on this. Bevo's message must be getting stale. Clearly, he hasn't been instilling the requirement for intensity as a non-negotiable for the playing group. Maybe he is too close to the players? Anyway, it is now clear we need a change of direction. Since a good season in 2021 he has been given every opportunity to mold this team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back