QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

With Coorparoo heading off in 2025 I'm interested in thoughts re a replacement side/s in div1. Plenty to choose from, burleigh, cooly, carrara, bond all going well down south and kenmore, Alex Hills, sandgate strong in the north. Maybe a smokey, maybe it's yeronga who seem to building ok. I wonder if any of these clubs have a desire to move up? Interesting year ahead if any of them do. Apologies if I've missed some obvious ones.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Coorparoo heading off in 2025 I'm interested in thoughts re a replacement side/s in div1. Plenty to choose from, burleigh, cooly, carrara, bond all going well down south and kenmore, Alex Hills, sandgate strong in the north. Maybe a smokey, maybe it's yeronga who seem to building ok. I wonder if any of these clubs have a desire to move up? Interesting year ahead if any of them do. Apologies if I've missed some obvious ones.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Feel like Sandgate would be the most likely, have had a desire for a while to get back to the highest level after being dumped from the QAFL that half decade ago so feel as though they would like to come up soon. Alex hills have been successful for a couple years now so also a strong possibility. Kenmore also, feel in Yeronga’s case they would need some on field success to translate the possibility of being in Div 1 again. Me personally wouldn’t mind seeing Burleigh &/or Bond come up into Div 1 again. Would be good to see some representation for the Gold Coast in the Div 1 comp, would be an easier sell nowadays also with no Maroochydore/Noosa there to deal with thumpings for a 3 hour drive. Main issue would be leaves that Div 2 South Comp to pretty much nothing after that if you take them out. Have seen in the last couple years that the gap between the top of Div 2 to Div 1 isn’t as big as previously thought with Beenleigh, Moreton & Hinterland being more than competitive in the comp. Who knows though, with the way things are going at Mt Gravatt could very well see them back at Div 1 level in 2025 as I’d imagine there wouldn’t be 13 teams in the QAFL.

50 points to play with in QAFL and there are plenty of Coorparoo juniors playing QAFL footy around the traps that they may have their eye on to bring home as 1 pointers for 2025.

Jack Rolls, Jake Fazldeen, Elijah Glass, Josh Coombes would be a good starting point
You make an interesting point with the above players and I am sure the club will look into it.

But you would think that it will be pretty hard to get them unless some kind of connection with the senior club already exists.

Reckon Glass, Fazldeen and Coombes all gettable - as they all would have had a bit to do with Kings senior program.

I think young Oscar Barry departed for Sherwood as well, you would get him back next year one would think

Caloundra seem to have lost a few handy ones to Div 2 clubs, any arrivals of note?

Or for other clubs?
Both sunny coast teams looking to have lost a few but no doubt they would’ve picked a few up as well, especially Caloundra, always seem to have a few decent pick ups during the off season. Looks like Moreton have had a couple handy recruits announced too. Everyone else seems to be pretty quiet on the recruitment front on social media at least anyway but I’m sure that come round 1 there will be some pretty handy new talent at each club

So Moreton Bay have got a good one on getting Sam Gribble.

How does Beenleigh go this year? They fell off quite significantly last year from their grand final appearance the year before. A lot of older players but also still some quality mature age and some youngsters.

UQ, what do they need to do to ensure their seniors make finals. They have always been the whipping team. However last year they definitely closed the gap. They play a very scrappy style of game which perhaps speaks of the skills of their players. But they are a massive improvement in 2023. They lost a few very close games which, had won, could have pushed them into that 5th spot. Also, my understanding is that they can’t sell alcohol due to being on uni grounds? Lots of money lost in that aspect. Be great to see them near the top.

So Moreton Bay have got a good one on getting Sam Gribble.

How does Beenleigh go this year? They fell off quite significantly last year from their grand final appearance the year before. A lot of older players but also still some quality mature age and some youngsters.

UQ, what do they need to do to ensure their seniors make finals. They have always been the whipping team. However last year they definitely closed the gap. They play a very scrappy style of game which perhaps speaks of the skills of their players. But they are a massive improvement in 2023. They lost a few very close games which, had won, could have pushed them into that 5th spot. Also, my understanding is that they can’t sell alcohol due to being on uni grounds? Lots of money lost in that aspect. Be great to see them near the top.

The facility at UQ is managed by the university. The bar area is licensed and sells booze however this revenue goes to the uni, not the footy club (or soccer club for that matter, who we share The Pavilion with).

No Saxon Crozier will see them get much worse.
Crozier is a massive loss for them. They were a totally different team when he played for them.

Looks as though Mayne, Moreton & Hinterland have had some decent recruits come across. Beenleigh been very quiet on that front, Coorparoo look to have picked up some very handy additions. Haven’t heard anything from Springwood. Caloundra seem to have lost a big bunch of them so will be interesting to see how they go. Season is coming up fast, can’t wait to see how this comp goes again. Seems every year it is extremely competitive and tight.

Crozier is a massive loss for them. They were a totally different team when he played for them.

Looks as though Mayne, Moreton & Hinterland have had some decent recruits come across. Beenleigh been very quiet on that front, Coorparoo look to have picked up some very handy additions. Haven’t heard anything from Springwood. Caloundra seem to have lost a big bunch of them so will be interesting to see how they go. Season is coming up fast, can’t wait to see how this comp goes again. Seems every year it is extremely competitive and tight.
Beenleigh lost 4 or 5 players to Jindalee with new coach. Heard they battling a bit with numbers

Brodie Murdoch apparently going to Sherwood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beenleigh lost 4 or 5 players to Jindalee with new coach. Heard they battling a bit with numbers
Have heard that, could be a bit of a depth issue for them this year, still have some very good upper level talent but especially in this league if your 15th-25th best players aren’t up there could spell for a long year especially if injuries happen as they did with Beenleigh last year

The facility at UQ is managed by the university. The bar area is licensed and sells booze however this revenue goes to the uni, not the footy club (or soccer club for that matter, who we share The Pavilion with).
How do they ago about signing/paying players? I’d assume the club would do self fundraisers to help them in that cause? Or or there other avenues that they do to help them? I heard a strong rumour a few years ago that AFLQ had given them a grant to build a new field or facilities where they play now as the old footy ground right at the front of the uni was no longer being used for footy at least. But the uni had taken that money and put the red lions back a year or two without a home field. So instead they played their home games at west juniors and even played out at the AFL field at Griffith Uni!

How do they ago about signing/paying players? I’d assume the club would do self fundraisers to help them in that cause? Or or there other avenues that they do to help them? I heard a strong rumour a few years ago that AFLQ had given them a grant to build a new field or facilities where they play now as the old footy ground right at the front of the uni was no longer being used for footy at least. But the uni had taken that money and put the red lions back a year or two without a home field. So instead they played their home games at west juniors and even played out at the AFL field at Griffith Uni!
Its a university club. You’d assume only UQ students would play for them. Why else would you play there?

When they were in the QAFL, they had 5 x mens teams and would have had the biggest pool of senior talent in QLD

So 3 teams for seniors, ressies and colts. What were the other two teams, was that masters and Friday night? I guess I’m more wondering on how much control UQ has on the footy team. As it’s the only uni team thats in either QAFL or QFA. And if they had such a large talent pool in QAFL. Why haven’t they made finals since they dropped down into div 1? Just trying to understand why they aren’t succeeding. Other than the fact no one goes to play there unless you study at UQ.

If memory serves correctly, thjey din't have Colts.

They had QAFL Seniors, QAFL Reserves, QAFA Seniors, QAFA Reserves, and QAFA b (Friday night)

5 senior sides

It’s all about senior premiership's and they are the champs of reserve grade flags, so all that emerging talent has never delivered for them in at 2pm
I didn’t say that it did.

Are you saying that the emerging talent doesn’t exist or hasn't produced?

Is there a formal connection with UQ & Wests Juniors?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back