QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Have it on good authority that Mayne have recruited some elite talent and are going all in to win the flag next season before rebuilding. Collings, McLean and Morrison all probably playing their last season and want to go out with a bang. Rumours going around the that Caleb Brown has been at preseason training, would be massive for the Tigers if he plays again.
Mayne’s reserves have been very competitive in the last 5 years with a few premiership and just won it this year. Which gives them great depth. Great little rivalry they have with coops reserves with the last couple of flags going to either team. However their seniors will need to find that extra 5-10% to compete with coops, Springwood and even Caloundra. Maybe those recruits will cover that gap. Oh and who’s Caleb Brown?

he's not really a pickup, he is just a Mayne legend playing again.

At his age, he would be forward, but probably still good enough to have a trot wherever needed

I can't remember specific details, but I recall he had a horrific broken leg at some point in the last 3-4 years, so not sure how that looks now.

Last edited:
Yeah fair enough, that’ll be great to bolster them again for flag hopes. I assume he was apart of their 3 peat about 8 years ago?

think he was skipper and won the B&F in 2 out of 3 and probably one or 2 league medals as well.

He'd have to be late 30's though. Had a crack at NEAFL in 2010 or 2011 with Morningside, made the Team of the Year, made the QLD side and satisfied himself he was good enough at that level and then went back to Mayne.

Fantastic player - not sure he will be super like he was at the ripe old age of 40 but a magnificent club person and will create a lot of love around the place I imagine, outside of the fact that at 6'5 he will be more than handy as a stay at home fwd. Don't think he would be playing if he didn't think he would be an asset though.

Congrats to Noosa on stepping up to QFAW Div 1. Some long drives ahead!

Any changes planned to the ressies comp?
Div 1 staying with seniors and ressies, outside of Noosa who have been allowed in as a seniors only club. After missing a heap of ressies games last year, it’s far from ideal, but Noosa can’t just keep destroying Div 2 by never losing, so up they go. Some big road trips for them, closest club is Moreton Bay and Sandgate, otherwise the rest is a journey!

Div 1 staying with seniors and ressies, outside of Noosa who have been allowed in as a seniors only club. After missing a heap of ressies games last year, it’s far from ideal, but Noosa can’t just keep destroying Div 2 by never losing, so up they go. Some big road trips for them, closest club is Moreton Bay and Sandgate, otherwise the rest is a journey!
Yes definitely feel for the clubs that have sufficient numbers for reserve grade games but we are no where near that at present.Will certainly be a work in progress to achieve two teams by 2025 and as for the travel that’s just a given for us as a club post 1992.The girls are stoked with the announcement and excited to see how it all pans out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news on clubs like UQ, Moreton, Caloundra and Beenleigh? New coaches at 3/4 but been quiet on socials about new and re-signed players unlike coops, mayne etc.

Yes definitely feel for the clubs that have sufficient numbers for reserve grade games but we are no where near that at present.Will certainly be a work in progress to achieve two teams by 2025 and as for the travel that’s just a given for us as a club post 1992.The girls are stoked with the announcement and excited to see how it all pans out!
Yeah great to see both Noosa and Tweed coming up, both strong teams in their previous comps. However driving from Brisbane to Noosa is long enough. Couldn’t imagine the drive from Noosa to Tweed and vice versa. Traffic would be alright leaving to go to those games but if you’re playing at 3-4pm which is what I assume QFAW Div 1 is playing, you’d might as well stay the night after the game.

Any news on clubs like UQ, Moreton, Caloundra and Beenleigh? New coaches at 3/4 but been quiet on socials about new and re-signed players unlike coops, mayne etc.
Seems Yeronga took a few from Beenleigh. I know one of the James twins is playing there and a few others have come to join him.

Have heard that Murdoch intends to go around again for Beenleigh which is massive although is coming off a ruptured Achilles from the previous season so will be interesting to see how he goes. Believe Tronc may be retired as well as the possibility a couple of the Eddy boys may be done too.

UQ are generally always quiet during the off season in naming wise on social media but wouldn’t be surprised if they get a couple good recruits for next year, always seems to be the case for them.

Moreton and Caloundra who knows really, will be interested to see in Hinterland after losing both Mahon and Hill to Aspley considering they were probably two of their best players this year. From a few reports but hinterland were happy to see them go so who knows really.

It would be great to see as many top liners as possible (I.e Murdoch, Brown) across the board. I hope all teams are building good lists to continue the fantastically even competition.

Think it was destined to happen, especially with all happening at Mt Gravatt, depending on Mt Gravatt’s performance next year could just be a straight swap. Let’s see if they can go out like Noosa and win a flag before heading up to QAFL. They do have a very good list but will definitely need to recruit well to get up to that QAFL standard in 2025

will need to recruit well, plus they might struggle to hold onto a few blokes as well who specifically play there cause they don't want to play QAFL?

will need to recruit well, plus they might struggle to hold onto a few blokes as well who specifically play there cause they don't want to play QAFL?
Will be interesting to see how they manage it with the points system as well. They already have been at the Max points or very close to it for a few years in Div 1, having to recruit is going to make that harder to manage. Then as you said with the few blokes that won’t want to play QAFL as well. But they do have Barry Gibson help lead the way and have got about a year now and I’m sure he has laid out a blueprint to help them succeed .

50 points to play with in QAFL and there are plenty of Coorparoo juniors playing QAFL footy around the traps that they may have their eye on to bring home as 1 pointers for 2025.

Jack Rolls, Jake Fazldeen, Elijah Glass, Josh Coombes would be a good starting point

Will be interesting to see how they manage it with the points system as well. They already have been at the Max points or very close to it for a few years in Div 1, having to recruit is going to make that harder to manage. Then as you said with the few blokes that won’t want to play QAFL as well. But they do have Barry Gibson help lead the way and have got about a year now and I’m sure he has laid out a blueprint to help them succeed .
I think Barry has his eye on being the coach in 2025....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back