QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see them making some positive moves. Looking like a competitive comp.
That’s true but I think there has to be a ? on salary cap too. Very few of these guys are coming for nothing. Hopefully a few local blokes still get a leg up.

Won’t it all be in vain if he’s not vaccinated I would be very surprised if QAFL doesn’t enforce double vaccination rule. There will be kids who are part of NAB League and on Suns top up list as well as Southport that to have to be vaccinated
Had been no mention of vaccination status required I think. Possibly will be for the reasons u just said but by the time we get round to playing nearly everyone will have had it at this rate!!
I know a few high profile recruits who are aren’t vaxxed and I don’t think exemptions will beallowed either

Had been no mention of vaccination status required I think. Possibly will be for the reasons u just said but by the time we get round to playing nearly everyone will have had it at this rate!!
I know a few high profile recruits who are aren’t vaxxed and I don’t think exemptions will beallowed either
Prior to Christmas the information received was that unvaccinated players can play community sport but are unable to enter licensed premises.Has it been mandated for community sport in other states? Interesting times ahead once again! Noosa back on the track next Thursday with new coach Chris Rourke here this weekend!

That’s true but I think there has to be a ? on salary cap too. Very few of these guys are coming for nothing. Hopefully a few local blokes still get a leg up.
They’re building nicely. The 21 year olds would be close to 50 games if it wasn’t for Covid.

They’ve got a big defender in eagles. Running defender in Bowles. McKenzie might go half back again as he won the B&F in the position.

Fidler is a gun. If they can get a decent ruckman they’re contending for finals.

Beama and recruiting staff have done very well. He’s a very passionate coach and a great bloke.

Last edited:
Because if we’re not actively investing in the development of the kids, why should we get priority access to them.
If you think the academy is actively investing in the development of kids, go down and have a look at their Level 1 sessions. And have a word to some of the parents and kids that have come through the system. Interesting to note that the BL has never asked any parents or kids for any feedback . . .ever. Why? Because they don't care what they have to say, what their experience has been and whether the kid feels like the program improved them as a footballer or not. The Lions are only using the ac to ID talent and get priority access to what they ID. The investment is the absolute minimal that is needed to hold up the facade of development but there is no actual development. The majority of the kids there are just wasting their time and getting worn down by the extra, unnecessary sessions. Local clubs are the place for kids to get development.

If you think the academy is actively investing in the development of kids, go down and have a look at their Level 1 sessions. And have a word to some of the parents and kids that have come through the system. Interesting to note that the BL has never asked any parents or kids for any feedback . . .ever. Why? Because they don't care what they have to say, what their experience has been and whether the kid feels like the program improved them as a footballer or not. The Lions are only using the ac to ID talent and get priority access to what they ID. The investment is the absolute minimal that is needed to hold up the facade of development but there is no actual development. The majority of the kids there are just wasting their time and getting worn down by the extra, unnecessary sessions. Local clubs are the place for kids to get development.
There also seems to be an issue with academy graduates from the Lions not continuing to play the game for very long after their time in the academy/AFL comes to an end. This seems to be less of a problem on the Gold Coast with plenty of academy players still running around in the local leagues years after their association with the Suns ended like Boston, Crossley/s, Joyce/s, Dawson, Nutting, Charlesworth, Boakye, Colenso, Gilmore, Pescud, Foster, Wingrave etc.

There also seems to be an issue with academy graduates from the Lions not continuing to play the game for very long after their time in the academy/AFL comes to an end. This seems to be less of a problem on the Gold Coast with plenty of academy players still running around in the local leagues years after their association with the Suns ended like Boston, Crossley/s, Joyce/s, Dawson, Nutting, Charlesworth, Boakye, Colenso, Gilmore, Pescud, Foster, Wingrave etc.
Thats a good point GC - tbf there is a lot more travel for many Lions academy players. The Suns region is fairly central and if you are in the Rockhampton north area then you go there.
With the Lions and Toowoomba, SC, Wide Bay regions there was times when kids were being asked to travel 200km+ round trip 3x/wk. That starts wearing even the best kids attitude after a while and the straw might be when drafting doesn't happen. Just a hypothesis... :)

They’re building nicely. The 21 year olds would be close to 50 games if it wasn’t for Covid.

They’ve got a big defender in eagles. Running defender in Bowles. McKenzie might go half back again as he won the B&F in the position.

Fidler is a gun. If they can get a decent ruckman they’re contending for finals.

Beama and recruiting staff have done very well. He’s a very passionate coach and a great bloke.
Well done to grange actively recruiting and doing well. The Brisbane clubs have played well under the points cap last year so good to see them and Aspley looking like they will play close to the max. Redlands also. Grange to be the big improver for 2022. Still will be a bit of the top sides IMO but definitely a chance to make top 6.

maybe biased but I’d have odds like

cats $3
Aspley $3.5
Lab & Redland $4
Maroochydore $7

Morningside $9
————-
Surfers & PBC $12
Mt Gravatt & Sherwood $15
Noosa and Grange $26
Grange maybe come in a bit with recruits.
Agree with the Cats as favourites.
Morningside the sliders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe biased but I’d have odds like

cats $3
Aspley $3.5
Lab & Redland $4
Maroochydore $7
Morningside $9
————-
Surfers & PBC $12
Mt Gravatt & Sherwood $15
Noosa and Grange $26

Aspley probably way too short, in my view, depth likely to be a massive issue for them if they have a bad run with injuries, Covid etc.

Grange could have a real shot at finals with a decent run of luck, might still see another addition or two over the pre-season but at least the days of boys v men seem to be over.

Aspley probably way too short, in my view, depth likely to be a massive issue for them if they have a bad run with injuries, Covid etc.

Grange could have a real shot at finals with a decent run of luck, might still see another addition or two over the pre-season but at least the days of boys v men seem to be over.
Great work by the recruiting team at the club. Time will tell if they can improve their position on the ladder. Hope they don't have a mass exodus of regulars which has been the case in previous years.

Great work by the recruiting team at the club. Time will tell if they can improve their position on the ladder. Hope they don't have a mass exodus of regulars which has been the case in previous years.

No exodus this year, the only valuable player Grange has lost is Mitch Crawley who decided to go back to Aspley where he played all of his junior footy.

Given the points cap we will still be selecting plenty of ex-Grange juniors each week whatever happens, as if we’re playing 8-10 new guys in any given week the one pointers (now with plenty of QAFL games behind them) will be invaluable.

NTFL is 3 or 4 points?

don't think Grange will be in too much bother with points, given like us they were running around sub 30 points most weeks last few years, giving a buffer of 20+ !

Eagles would be 5 or 6.

All the NTFL lads would be 4, possibly 3(?) but for arguments sake make them 4.

6 of them in a senior side, plus eagles and over 7 players you are at 29 points, still got 21 points for the last 15 spots and Grange would have no issues there.

Thats assuming your top 7 players are all fit every week too, which almost never happens!

Yeah saw some article that was behind a wall stating that he was "looking around". Fair few less than complimentary comments that went with it too...

Former GWS and Hawthorn AFL player Jonathon Patton looking to come out of retirement on the Gold Coast​

FORMER AFL player Jonathon Patton is looking to come out of retirement and has begun shopping himself around to potential clubs.
The once highly-touted key forward for Hawthorn and Greater Western Sydney has been in talks with the Broadbeach Cats to play in its QAFL side for 2022.

It’s understood Patton’s asking price was around $25,000.

The price tag, the fact he has had three knee-reconstructions and the six points that Patton would be slugged with in the QAFL points system led to the Cats deciding not to bring the 28-year-old in.

QAFL clubs have a salary cap of $82,000 and each team they field through the season has to carry a total of 50 points, with each player assigned a points figure depending on their football experience.

“We have been talking to Jon but at the end of the day you have got to be able to fit them in,” Broadbeach coach Craig O’Brien said.

“They want money and with our salary cap it just doesn’t work. He is worth six points so it would mean we miss out on a couple of kids coming in.

“I’m good mates with (GWS CEO) Dave Matthews and he mentioned Jon was coming up here. We caught up with him and had a chat.

“He has had three knee reconstructions and even if we didn’t pay him, he is still worth six points and hasn’t played in a couple of years.”

It’s understood Patton has had interest from rival QAFL clubs.

Patton played 89 games for GWS between 2012 and 2018 before spending two years at Hawthorn where he played six games.

The key forward was stood down in January of 2021 following allegations of lewd behaviour towards multiple women and retired soon after, apologising for his “completely unacceptable” actions.

He came to Queensland to focus on his health and wellbeing after battling mental health issues and has been working for prestigious real estate firm Kollosche.

Patton’s bid to play in the QAFL comes on the back of Carlton AFL player Liam Jones signing with Palm Beach Currumbin.

Doesn't exactly talk him up to potential suitors.. :) Fair enough too.
The article does say it's understood that he has interest from rival QAFL clubs. We can probably safely rule out Palmy after they landed Liam Jones and I would have thought Labrador would have a hard time fitting him in as well. Therefore I would suggest Surfers Paradise would be the frontrunners for his signature (assuming they are interested) but perhaps some of the Brisbane teams have tried their luck as well. Southport are potentially a wildcard in this situation as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back