Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't this make it even worse?

None of these AFLBJ changes affect me directly, but I would have thought that creating one elite comp in each age division and leaving everyone else to play in "participation medal "games will surely increase, not decrease, the number of kids moving from local clubs to the QAFL clubs or equivalent?

With this proposed structure, why would any talented boy/girl aged 14 or 15 not want to play for a club in the best, and only serious, comp?

apparently surveyed 14000 over the last 4 years.. have yet to meet someone who was surveyed though.. thoughts?

I'm sure the 14000 number is pretty rubbery but probably comes from the online survey that was sent out a year or so ago. I do know that junior club presidents at the very least had some personal consultation or input.

Not sure how successful they'll be with these changes as they're trying to address several slightly conflicting things at once. My understanding is that they've committed to it for three years. I do think the lack of a conference league (div 1 kind of thing) for girls is poor and needs to be addressed.

None of these AFLBJ changes affect me directly, but I would have thought that creating one elite comp in each age division and leaving everyone else to play in "participation medal "games will surely increase, not decrease, the number of kids moving from local clubs to the QAFL clubs or equivalent?

With this proposed structure, why would any talented boy/girl aged 14 or 15 not want to play for a club in the best, and only serious, comp?
Aflbj put a Facebook post out about the changes.
Don't think any of the people in the comments were in the survey.
Let's just say it wasn't well received.

Ok but last time I checked this is a senior page not juniors

It’s the off season, have a little relax. Very little to talk about and with points now a thing, club juniors are important to the QAFL going forward. I’m sure you will be ok if a few people chat about something for a day on an Internet forum

It’s the off season, have a little relax. Very little to talk about and with points now a thing, club juniors are important to the QAFL going forward. I’m sure you will be ok if a few people chat about something for a day on an Internet forum

No that’s FB is for........yes juniors are important hence talk about them on their own page.

32 conference teams so the kids are going to end up playing in the same comp anyway.

32 conference teams so the kids are going to end up playing in the same comp anyway.
Excuse me for not quite getting what a conference is and these other terms but is it that there is one Div 1 comp and everyone else playing local? If so do Maroochydore play Brisbane & Gold Coast clubs? Which will in turn mean more travel?

Pretty much seems how it wrks

Div 1 is called something else and now needs frequent flyer points. Div 2 to Div 5 all lumped into one competition together based on geography where they all hold hands and sing lullabyes and feel special.

Not a huge advocate of female footy myself, but the changes they have made there are even worse. Just no Div 1 (or whatever they now call it) at all, just all holding hands and singing songs and feeling special. Talk about completely halt any momentum in the development of a sport with one stroke of the pencil!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much seems how it wrks

Div 1 is called something else and now needs frequent flyer points. Div 2 to Div 5 all lumped into one competition together based on geography where they all hold hands and sing lullabyes and feel special.

Not a huge advocate of female footy myself, but the changes they have made there are even worse. Just no Div 1 (or whatever they now call it) at all, just all holding hands and singing songs and feeling special. Talk about completely halt any momentum in the development of a sport with one stroke of the pencil!

One thing female footy does have going for it is you aren’t a big advocate.

Excuse me for not quite getting what a conference is and these other terms but is it that there is one Div 1 comp and everyone else playing local? If so do Maroochydore play Brisbane & Gold Coast clubs? Which will in turn mean more travel?

The post was about junior footy and not senior footy so hope you understand that. For junior footy the zones are outlined here. So from what I understand as explained by an AFLBJ person and a club president: In the conferences they are building basically ten team leagues and start with your zone and move to adjacent zones until they find about 10 teams to form a comp. Basically all the teams from div 1 to div 3 last year will end up in 10 team conference comps with adjacent zone clubs. Teams from clubs that have multiple teams in youth age groups or clubs that might have only had div 4 or 5 kind of teams will end up in the community cup leagues. I'm not sure what the exact effect will be on Gold and Sunshine Coast teams but I suspect there won't be a huge difference in terms of travel.

The aims are: 1. end the annual angst and confusion over divs and what teams are playing where that impacts the first 4-6 weeks of the comp 2. remove the need to move to nearby so-called 'div 1' clubs as you'll end up in same league anyway. 3. Reduce travel time. 4. Give a friendlier experience to div 4 and 5 type kids so that they stay in the game longer 4. Keep all kids in the game longer and hopefully move a few more to senior footy

Don't know if it'll work. I suspect talented kids and their parents will still want to move clubs for better coaching/facilities and perceived pathways and prestige but overall probably still worth a try.

In the overhaul I also read about the introduction about "E-Points", what in God's name is that? Will that rather than on field performance affect who plays in finals? Will this eventually be introduced into senior football given governing bodies use junior and youth football as testing grounds (which the zonal system seems to be)? And finally, given that Darling Downs is a zone in itself (South-West Zone 15 in this model) and last year had amalgamated teams (for example they had 7 Under 14's teams, Goondiwindi, Highfields and South Burnett didn't field stand alone teams) to form junior/youth competitions, how on earth could teams from Ipswich (which I assume is closest) be asked to play in places like Chinchilla if they are looking for 10 team regional comps?

In the overhaul I also read about the introduction about "E-Points", what in God's name is that? Will that rather than on field performance affect who plays in finals? Will this eventually be introduced into senior football given governing bodies use junior and youth football as testing grounds (which the zonal system seems to be)? And finally, given that Darling Downs is a zone in itself (South-West Zone 15 in this model) and last year had amalgamated teams (for example they had 7 Under 14's teams, Goondiwindi, Highfields and South Burnett didn't field stand alone teams) to form junior/youth competitions, how on earth could teams from Ipswich (which I assume is closest) be asked to play in places like Chinchilla if they are looking for 10 team regional comps?

E-points I believe is a measure which is designed to stop teams loading up with to much talent. It’s like a handicap system where if a team wins by over a certain amount, the do a formula and the team can actually lose points on the ladder. Supposed to encourage more even spreading of talent.

The e points thing operates in WA.

Points can also be deducted for poor player / coach behaviour. In theory that sounds like a good idea but implementation causes more issues than it solves.

Friedman once said “a government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem”. Probably a case in point

None of this would be needed if parents and coaches got a bit of perspective and didn’t adopt win at all cost mentality at juniors level ffs.

As an example, The vitriol levelled at some poor kid umpire at a game that should just be about enjoyment, participation, mateship, player development and growing the game all in the name of winning is pretty embarrassing at times.

The e points thing operates in WA.

Points can also be deducted for poor player / coach behaviour. In theory that sounds like a good idea but implementation causes more issues than it solves.

Friedman once said “a government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem”. Probably a case in point

None of this would be needed if parents and coaches got a bit of perspective and didn’t adopt win at all cost mentality at juniors level ffs.

As an example, The vitriol levelled at some poor kid umpire at a game that should just be about enjoyment, participation, mateship, player development and growing the game all in the name of winning is pretty embarrassing at times.
It will turn into a tit for tat exercise. One team will report another team as part of a strategy to move on the ladder. Each junior team/club thinks theyre the bees knees and the opponent heathens. If it is tick box for those young umpires I have little faith. I watched an U16 game last year. The game was competitive but in good sportsmanship until a late tackle caused a few from each team to separate the two. Even that was done with good spirits with some smiling and the even umpire having a chuckle too. All part of footy. The Offender yellow carded to cool down but when he had to tick the box he ticked that there was the minor of melees. Both clubs fined.

ok,, any news on clubs recruits and losses... Ihavent really been in touch with my Broadbeach but from what I ve heard they are retaining the majority of their list ( unlike the mass exodus of 2019 ) ... I believe 2 very good senior players from the 2018 side are returning yet I see we have lost gun Nick Burton ( overseas) and good old Southport have come along and grabbed our gun 2019 recruit and best and fairest in Jason Fisher. Yes, big bucks for him compared to what he was on with Broady and the chance to play at a higher level , this I know,,, but geez ,, we work hard to secure quality players like this and if they perform the Southports of the world come and grab them ...yes I know its the players choice as well ,,, but thats how it is hey.

ok,, any news on clubs recruits and losses... Ihavent really been in touch with my Broadbeach but from what I ve heard they are retaining the majority of their list ( unlike the mass exodus of 2019 ) ... I believe 2 very good senior players from the 2018 side are returning yet I see we have lost gun Nick Burton ( overseas) and good old Southport have come along and grabbed our gun 2019 recruit and best and fairest in Jason Fisher. Yes, big bucks for him compared to what he was on with Broady and the chance to play at a higher level , this I know,,, but geez ,, we work hard to secure quality players like this and if they perform the Southports of the world come and grab them ...yes I know its the players choice as well ,,, but thats how it is hey.

I heard Surfers have lost a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back