Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

So he was a better candidate than Adrian Fletcher & Tom Williams? - would love to know the 12 other candidates!

must be paying good coin to have 15 of them
Not sure Thommo's going to share private information Fan.....and I'd be disappointed if he did.
The AFLQ article outlined the process pretty well I thought.

Anthony McDonald. Excellent candidate, we spoke to 15 blokes of varied experience and narrowed it to 3-4 pretty easily and he was the best of those. The leading 3-4 were the best by a large margin.

Previous ability as a player makes up about 5% of the criteria.

What’s his past coaching record?

I disagree, gotta stay the course. Theiy have a very very good junior base.

Can't be that hard to appropriately reource their senior side and hold onto these promising juniors. Aspley being allowed to haver a QFA Div 1 side and use it to poach juniors and call it a pathway means both Grange and Sandgate are being robbed of promising juniors following the appropriate path to NEAFL via the QAFL.

I would have thought it's the other way around? Sandgate and Grange poaching Aspley juniors to play on the false premise of a "pathway"? Dont think there are too many Grange or Sandgate juniors playing in aspley QFA.

I would have thought it's the other way around? Sandgate and Grange poaching Aspley juniors to play on the false premise of a "pathway"? Dont think there are too many Grange or Sandgate juniors playing in aspley QFA.
Why would they want to play QFA it’s a lower division? Do the hornets even care about QFA if they have NEAFL !

yeah they do, and they openly promote it as a pathway to NEAFL for talented juniors.

Except the “NEAFL pathway” at Aspley is an illusion, which explains why most of their talented juniors are now jumping ship when they turn 16.

This is the club which dropped Will Martyn, who’d been at Aspley since he was 8, from their NEAFL team before finals.

What 16yo kid with ability would want to stay at Aspley nowadays - to play U16’s, QFA Colts or QFA Div 1 at best?

Aspley’s personnel and results this year in 16’s and Colts tell you everything you need to know about the issues they now face in retaining talented juniors, and at the moment it’s hard to see that changing in a hurry.

Except the “NEAFL pathway” at Aspley is an illusion, which explains why most of their talented juniors are now jumping ship when they turn 16.

This is the club which dropped Will Martyn, who’d been at Aspley since he was 8, from their NEAFL team before finals.

What 16yo kid with ability would want to stay at Aspley nowadays - to play U16’s, QFA Colts or QFA Div 1 at best?

Aspley’s personnel and results this year in 16’s and Colts tell you everything you need to know about the issues they now face in retaining talented juniors, and at the moment it’s hard to see that changing in a hurry.
Agree Judge. Which is why AFLQ should accept that the QAFL Colts comp is superior and promote it as such. BTW Aspley's set up is being replicated by Redlands through the Vic Point name as they have QFA div 1 provisional licence for 2021

Of course is superior, but AFLQ would never openly acknowledge that - because 'somtimes' they care what other clubs think, despite often showing they don't.

Anyone that thinks playing Colts at Moreton Bay or Wynnum or Kenmore instead of playing QAFL Colts is a good idea for a talented kid is absolutely crazy.

Why does it matter that Aspley dropped Will Martyn though? If he's not Best 22, then so be it. Kid has an attitude problem anyway, which probably contributed!

Why does it matter that Aspley dropped Will Martyn though? If he's not Best 22, then so be it. Kid has an attitude problem anyway, which probably contributed!

I mentioned Martyn being dropped from Aspley's NEAFL side as an example of how Aspley don't actively support or have any real consideration for the interests of their own juniors when it comes to the NEAFL.

That is, the coaches and management of Aspley's NEAFL side couldn't care less where a player comes from at selection time, they just pick their best side, and their recruiting/list management strategy is the same.

This approach is fine and I have no problem with it, but Perko et al are basically telling Aspley kids the opposite when trying to keep them at the club and it's no surprise that these kids (and their parents) aren't buying it and are now voting with their feet.

Martyn must have made way for Tahj Abberley Moreton Bay junior/Sandgate listed at the start of the finals. Both kids are obivoulsy talented enough to get onto a Neafl list. I dont know who's the better player out of the 2 is but you would feel pretty hard done by if Aspley NEAFL were making marginal selections based on where they played their junior footy at.

Not sure if Abberley was selected instead of Martyn, particularly as they tend to play different positions, but if so it just reinforces my point that being an Aspley junior means nothing in NEAFL terms such that the supposed internal "pathway" to NEAFL is a myth.

As an aside I've seen a lot of Tahj Abberley, I really like him as a footballer and think he was a massive improver this year, but right now I'd still give Martyn a better chance of being drafted in 2019 than Tajh being drafted in 2020. I'd be happy to see them both get picked up though, the same with any local kid

Abberley improved out of sight in 2019, as a direct result of playing QAFL footy in 2019 under the tutelage of Jarrad Marsh. May have been a team that struggled, but some of the youth there improved massively and it was bad for Sandgate's QAFL program to lose Marsh to Aspley and bad for northside footy in general.

Personally don't believe Aspley should be allowed to have QFA, nor should Redland. However, Vic Point Sharks technically not the same club which is a way around it, like the old Magpies/Woodsmen setup where those blokes 'invented' a club so they could stay where they wanted to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Abberley improved out of sight in 2019, as a direct result of playing QAFL footy in 2019 under the tutelage of Jarrad Marsh. May have been a team that struggled, but some of the youth there improved massively and it was bad for Sandgate's QAFL program to lose Marsh to Aspley and bad for northside footy in general.

Personally don't believe Aspley should be allowed to have QFA, nor should Redland. However, Vic Point Sharks technically not the same club which is a way around it, like the old Magpies/Woodsmen setup where those blokes 'invented' a club so they could stay where they wanted to.

Fan How many local juniors are playing NEAFL Footy at their own clubs (Aspley, Southport, Redlands)?

I thought the competition was brought in to get our local juniors up to a better level to match Southern kids.

Not sure how many are actual juniors from that specific club, but there are heaps of 'local juniors' playing NEAFL footy..

I'm not a fan of the NEAFL, but it has served as a vital pathway for a shitload of QLD kids to be drafted in the last 10 years.

Off the top of my head, there are 11 Sherwood kids in the NEAFL currently - not including the academy/lions setup, thats across Aspley and Redland, dont think we have any at Southport since Fowler left and now captains Broady.

Also got 4 or 5 at other QAFL clubs who either left for more opportunity, or left pre 2014 and didnt come back when we moved back into QAFL.

Also got a few in the WAFL and 3 in the VFL or EDFL, while another one has just left Aspley to play at Port Melbourne as well.

Plenty of local juniors getting opportunity via the NEAFL. We will always push them up if that where they want to take their footy.

G
So where do the Aspley juniors who aren’t good enough to play NEAFL go?
Good question Ashley76. This is where the question of what is fair in the local landscape. There are also juniors from QAFL clubs who aren't up to QAFL ressies either.
Southport Colts was very strong whilst they thought they were staying thinking they were a chance to progress direct to NEAFL too. That seems to be waning now also with amalgamation with Surfers and an exodus to Labrador. Not bagging them just agreeing with Judge that over time people read the tea leaves and work out what's best for their personal pathway.
There are many pathways such as QFA clubs retaining talented U16s into their seniors instead of Colts.
Of course NEAFL listed players at Aspley were trying the play QFA when they weren't selected instead of playing QAFL a year or so back.
Swings and roundabouts

AFLQ have now overhauled youth footy as well. A “premier” div of the best teams, and after that, no divisions at all and more location based. Aiming at reducing powerful clubs recruiting gun juniors from surrounding clubs. Can only list 21 players that can play in that side (injuries allow a player to replace them). Clubs with multiple teams other than top side are expected to balance team strength evenly in the lower comp. Playing numbers reduced to 16. Girls have had all divisions removed, which will put a nice hold on girls development as the better teams will play some ordinary lower div sides. They certainly love sweeping changes...apparently surveyed 14000 over the last 4 years.. have yet to meet someone who was surveyed though.. thoughts?

Wow.

Where has this been announceD??

no divisions in girls footy? The talent disparity is arguably greater in girls footy than boys footy.

One premier division in boys and then what? Div 2 to 5 just get lumped together in some mass localised comp? Can't be hecking serious

AFLQ have now overhauled youth footy as well. A “premier” div of the best teams, and after that, no divisions at all and more location based. Aiming at reducing powerful clubs recruiting gun juniors from surrounding clubs. Can only list 21 players that can play in that side (injuries allow a player to replace them). Clubs with multiple teams other than top side are expected to balance team strength evenly in the lower comp. Playing numbers reduced to 16. Girls have had all divisions removed, which will put a nice hold on girls development as the better teams will play some ordinary lower div sides. They certainly love sweeping changes...apparently surveyed 14000 over the last 4 years.. have yet to meet someone who was surveyed though.. thoughts?
There is no right system despite all the competition changes. The disparity between the top 4 in these premier divisions in each of U12s, U14s and U16s was considerable. What if you're the 10th best team? You dont get a win for the year but the 11th wins the premiership by a mile

Interesting to see how the new junior structure works out. The often one sided nature of junior footy in qld holds back development and I can see that’s what they are trying to address here.

whether it works or not is another question

Remove this Banner Ad

Back