Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Broadbeach have by quite a margin the best facilities in the comp ,, thus the obvious choice for the Grand Final venue if 2 Gold Coast sides are playing off. And one would expect a crowd of some 2500 plus ,,, unlike the 2018 grand final between 2 gold coast sides played at Yeronga where the crowd wouldnt of been 1800 at the most.

I reckon 1000 only at the GF. Our crowd at the Cattery v surfers early in the year was bigger

I reckon 1000 only at the GF. Our crowd at the Cattery v surfers early in the year was bigger

Agreed Premier - I think the GF should be in where the higher ranked team is - GC team higher - then at a neutral Gold Coast club and vice versa for Brisbane
Think Southport easiest venue to lock in.
Looking fwd to rd 1 - Labrador to make finals and bump 1 team from last year out - think that may be Broady due to their list losses

I see Andy Lovell appointed rep coach for the qafl game, seems like a good appointment, and ably assisted by Paul Grentell who has been a long time Qld footy servant, dont know to much about Marsh from Sandgate, but please, Sinclair appointed as assistant after being in the state for 5 minutes! HQ talks about pathways for players and coaches, im sure theres someone toiling away in the qafl whos paid there dues and deserves the opportunity.

Jared Marsh was once Mayne's U18 coach, was assistant last year at Sandgate. From all reports going well with the Sandgate group, focusing on youth and trying to rebuild the club.

2010 other than the result was an amazing day of local footy at grange. They have done a heap of work there since then also. Terrific viewing oval and the surface is now terrific as well. Good GF venue

Great venue Longy - I wouldnt be against holding the QFA div 1 GF there is there was a Brisbane side and a SC team in it - even if there was 2 SC sides - at least it is this side of Brisbane. Result in 2011 was okay :)

TBH I'm not sure how advanced HQ has to be to name the GF venue - possibly there are logistical issues surrounding it but if the AFL can organise a prelim final with a weeks notice, reckon we can organise a local GF with a weeks notice...

TBH I'm not sure how advanced HQ has to be to name the GF venue - possibly there are logistical issues surrounding it but if the AFL can organise a prelim final with a weeks notice, reckon we can organise a local GF with a weeks notice...

Surely considering Community Footy started in March there won't be any venue issues with all the GF's?

Div 1&2 will be finished when QAFL Finals just starting?

Broadbeach have by quite a margin the best facilities in the comp ,, thus the obvious choice for the Grand Final venue if 2 Gold Coast sides are playing off. And one would expect a crowd of some 2500 plus ,,, unlike the 2018 grand final between 2 gold coast sides played at Yeronga where the crowd wouldnt of been 1800 at the most.

There would have been
Lucky to have 1000 at yeronga
Never again please

Great venue Longy - I wouldnt be against holding the QFA div 1 GF there is there was a Brisbane side and a SC team in it - even if there was 2 SC sides - at least it is this side of Brisbane. Result in 2011 was okay :)

From what I've heard the AFLQ guys really like the new set up at Grange, with a good playing surface, good change rooms and plenty of elevated viewing areas for spectators

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Grange does host the Div 1 GF this year, we're definitely keen for the game to be played there for revenue reasons.

Can't see Grange hosting the QAFL GF this year, but as we can comfortably hold more than Yeronga we might be a chance next year?

Last edited:
Tips for the weekend.

Labrador to beat panthers by 4 goals

Magpies to win at Mt Gravatt by 10 points

Palmy to unfurl their flag at home and beat the cats by 5 goals

Surfers to beat Grange by 6 goals

Tips for the weekend.

Labrador to beat panthers by 4 goals

Magpies to win at Mt Gravatt by 10 points

Palmy to unfurl their flag at home and beat the cats by 5 goals

Surfers to beat Grange by 6 goals

A bunch of interesting games, you could mount a case for every team.

It might take Labrador a few games to gel with so many new inclusions but they should still win at home by a few.

Magpies v Vultures is the hardest game to pick, Home team....maybe.

Palmy by alot

Surfers by a lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Car parking the issue for a GF
Great Ground they have had a pineapple cup a few time But QAFL is a Different thing
I understand WG had about 1000 carparks available for AFLW game in February. Onsite, at Stafford School, adjoining properties (120 undercover). Short walks from the streets around the park as well as along the Kedron Brook walkway it easily catered for about 5000 people at the AFLW game.

Was told a few weeks ago that Palmy have one of the best records of developing and giving games to their juniors.
I see the AFLQ has released everyone's 60 man list for 2019. Makes for interesting reading in regards to junior players at each QAFL club.
For the record:
Club Players from their junior club
Grange 14
Labrador 15
Broady 18
Sandgate 21
Morningside 22
Palmy 23
Maggies 25
Mounties 27
Surfers 35

Obviously Im proud of Surfers' record here being the only club that has over half their senior list from their junior club but was interested to know why bigger Brisbane clubs have less?
Is retention harder?

Tips this week:
Morningside by 7 points
Palmy by 17 points
Surfers by 2 points
Magpies by 46 points

That’s some good info given above in regards to the juniors on club lists.

It’s well known on the coast that Palmy surfers and broady have always had strong junior retention. And Labrador to a lesser extent.

It’s good to see the average is around 20 for each list.

It will be interesting to see how many play in the senior sides this year as this will be crucial to staying under the points allocation

Are any of you fellow posters interested in a tipping comp for this season ? Im prepared to monitor the results on a weekly basis but its not worth doing if we dont have the numbers whom wish to participate .... like we need at least 10 of us to commit,,a bit of fun ,, please advise

That’s some good info given above in regards to the juniors on club lists.

It’s well known on the coast that Palmy surfers and broady have always had strong junior retention. And Labrador to a lesser extent.

It’s good to see the average is around 20 for each list.

It will be interesting to see how many play in the senior sides this year as this will be crucial to staying under the points allocation

In Labrador’s defense they have traditionally had a far lesser amount of juniors compared to the other Coast qafl clubs with the Sharks juggernaut a few k’s up the road. That being said I believe the Labrador junior numbers this year are at record levels so hopefully that translates to better numbers in the years to come.

Yes Blackie Labrador are perfectly placed to go local in the years to come. Helensvale SHS not far away with their program and the Southport juggernaut that you speak of should be a massive opportunity for you. Hundreds of kids that don’t realistically have a senior pathway at Sharks.

And then add the fact that the you are closest to the massive population growth corridor and can be a pathway for talented youngsters from other local clubs like pac pines Coomera and Ormeau.

This is why in general I’m supportive of points/salary cap as it incentivises looking local over recruiting from interstate.

Yes Blackie Labrador are perfectly placed to go local in the years to come. Helensvale SHS not far away with their program and the Southport juggernaut that you speak of should be a massive opportunity for you. Hundreds of kids that don’t realistically have a senior pathway at Sharks.

And then add the fact that the you are closest to the massive population growth corridor and can be a pathway for talented youngsters from other local clubs like pac pines Coomera and Ormeau.

This is why in general I’m supportive of points/salary cap as it incentivises looking local over recruiting from interstate.

I just went through the list and Labrador have 21 from their juniors with another 15 from either Southport, PAC Pines, Coomera, Beenleigh or Carrara.

No doubt there has been a change of focus at the tigers last couple of years. Probably contributed to a tough year last year but I reckon will reap benefits for years to come. I expect lab to play finals this year.

My pre rd 1 ladder prediction

PBC
Broady
Morningside
Labrador
Surfers
—————-
Mt G
Maggies
Grange
Sandgate

Was told a few weeks ago that Palmy have one of the best records of developing and giving games to their juniors.
I see the AFLQ has released everyone's 60 man list for 2019. Makes for interesting reading in regards to junior players at each QAFL club.
For the record:
Club Players from their junior club
Grange 14
Labrador 15
Broady 18
Sandgate 21
Morningside 22
Palmy 23
Maggies 25
Mounties 27
Surfers 35

Pretty sure its just that Surfers submitted a much longer list that must include their colts (unless they really do have 80 players signed up to fill 2 teams??)

Suspect a few clubs also not being entirely sure of a players true junior club, so if they came over at 15/16, they just claim them as their own.

I note for example that the Magpies claim Jack Austin as a Sherwood junior, when he's from Springwood.

In Labrador’s defense they have traditionally had a far lesser amount of juniors compared to the other Coast qafl clubs with the Sharks juggernaut a few k’s up the road. That being said I believe the Labrador junior numbers this year are at record levels so hopefully that translates to better numbers in the years to come.

With Southport and Surfers Paradise merging this year in the Colts, I've heard that quite a few Southport boys have headed to Labrador to play Colts there instead.

I saw the Labrador Colts play a trial game and they looked pretty good, likely to be the big improvers from last year, I think the Colts comp will be very competitive across the board.

Pretty sure its just that Surfers submitted a much longer list that must include their colts (unless they really do have 80 players signed up to fill 2 teams??)

Suspect a few clubs also not being entirely sure of a players true junior club, so if they came over at 15/16, they just claim them as their own.

I note for example that the Magpies claim Jack Austin as a Sherwood junior, when he's from Springwood.

That’s a great point. If Broady submitted another 15 guys (mostly colts players) almost all would be club juniors bringing the number to a similar amount to surfers and I’m sure other clubs would have the same story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back