QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suggest you are wrong. They may have trained with them , like hundreds of others - but none are VFL listed.

I'd also point out that multiple QAFL clubs have had kids drafted and Redlands have had 10 drafted in the last 6 years.

Offering access to contacts on the proviso you play a season of Div 2 park footy is reprehensible behaviour imo. But thats just me.

I especially like how Jordy Grainger was described as a Park Ridge product in the paper a while back, despite playing 90% of his senior footy at Moorooka and being a Sherwood (or Kenmore?) Junior. Now off to Keilor in the EDFL under Micky McGuane.

So Pirates FC should spend time introducing players, not on their list to VFL clubs for no reward? LOL

They go to the QAFL and there is a draft system in place in regards to which QAFL club they will play for.

That makes sense and is fair for everyone then.

Still, they would have some talent
I'd suggest you are wrong. They may have trained with them , like hundreds of others - but none are VFL listed.

I'd also point out that multiple QAFL clubs have had kids drafted and Redlands have had 10 drafted in the last 6 years.

Offering access to contacts on the proviso you play a season of Div 2 park footy is reprehensible behaviour imo. But thats just me.

I especially like how Jordy Grainger was described as a Park Ridge product in the paper a while back, despite playing 90% of his senior footy at Moorooka and being a Sherwood (or Kenmore?) Junior. Now off to Keilor in the EDFL under Micky McGuane.

Jeez you are a goose, always starting sh!t

If you knew that about Jordy why not just say that instead of taking pot shots at blocker for giving kids a chance? If you know the system at all you will know you need to be drafted by the age of 18, outside of this you have to work hard as a mature age recruit (aka Jordy 23/24yo). There is no comparison between what Redlands and Park Ridge are doing.

Glad I dont have to see your face this year, otherwise I'd kick it in you grub.

That makes sense and is fair for everyone then.

Still, they would have some talent

Jeez you are a goose, always starting sh!t

If you knew that about Jordy why not just say that instead of taking pot shots at blocker for giving kids a chance? If you know the system at all you will know you need to be drafted by the age of 18, outside of this you have to work hard as a mature age recruit (aka Jordy 23/24yo). There is no comparison between what Redlands and Park Ridge are doing.

Glad I dont have to see your face this year, otherwise I'd kick it in you grub.

Who is QAFL Fan? Would love to know!

Happy to be corrected here if wrong but....

"Aspleys 2nds" are the DIV 2 seniors, a NEAFL squad consists of 40 registered players, where do the fringe NEAFL blokes play when not playing NEAFL? There are no seconds in NEAFL...
Do they get sent to other QAFL teams? or down to the seconds (DIV2). If the latter then they will be very strong.
Had a chat last night to some well connected old blokes who have been around the traps in QLD footy for close to 50 years.

Park Ridge apparently attracting players with false hopes of AFL connections in Victoria, but have to play a year the Pirates before getting any intros.

then kids sent down to East Keilor and the like!

Not sure how a player with potential AFL ability will benefit his development spending a season in Division 2 footy in QLD! One would suggest that a year at that level would put a final nail in the coffin of any AFL dreams...but what would I know?!

Redlands have had close to 10 blokes drafted in the last 5 years - I reckon thats where I'd be pointing blokes with ability!

Are you kidding QAFL. Every kid that has left Park Ridge has done full preseason at either Essendon, Collingwood or Footscray.
Jordy Grainger is at Essendon at present you flog.

So please tell me with the new current system of no U18 QLD state side. How will kids get there chance to showcase their skills nationally? With probably at best 3 kids from Suns and Lions Academies playing in Allies side these kids have no other opportunity.

So don't preach to me about giving kids an opportunity to go via the VFL which they are a lot better chance of getting spotted than NEAFL competition. Essendon VFL side have had 12 kids drafted onto AFL lists last 3 years as well and all have played senior AFL footy.

The draft 2 years ago was the worst draft since its inception. No disrespect to any kids that were drafted from Redlands but all of them are only playing VFL footy anyway you flog.

If I am opening opportunities for kids to get an invite only preseason at AFL Clubs with VFL sides how can that be a bad thing.

Please tell me what your so called NEAFL or QAFL Club's have done for the kids like Nick Davidson, Tim Peck, Jordy Grainger?

As for ending up at Keillor in EDFL they would walk over any QAFL or NEAFL Club do they are playing at a very high level anyway on good money if they don't make the cut.

I provide the opportunity and if they are good enough they make it, like Morro said, if they don't at least they have given theirselves an opportunity.

So please tell me how this is bad for local community wombat. How about you concentrate on helping club's survive and stop bagging people that are trying to help kids live a dream instead of taking it away like the new U18 format will.

Are you kidding QAFL. Every kid that has left Park Ridge has done full preseason at either Essendon, Collingwood or Footscray.

So please tell me with the new current system of no U18 QLD state side. How will kids get there chance to showcase their skills nationally? With probably at best 3 kids from Suns and Lions Academies playing in Allies side these kids have no other opportunity.

So don't preach to me about giving kids an opportunity to go via the VFL which they are a lot better chance of getting spotted than NEAFL competition. Essendon VFL side have had 12 kids drafted onto AFL lists last 3 years as well and all have played senior AFL footy.

The draft 2 years ago was the worst draft since its inception. No disrespect to any kids that were drafted from Redlands but all of them are only playing VFL footy anyway you flog.

If I am opening opportunities for kids to get an invite only preseason at AFL Clubs with VFL sides how can that be a bad thing.

Please tell me what your so called NEAFL or QAFL Club's have done for the kids like Nick Davidson, Tim Peck, Jordy Grainger?

As for ending up at Keillor in EDFL they would walk over any QAFL or NEAFL Club do they are playing at a very high level anyway on good money if they don't make the cut.

I provide the opportunity and if they are good enough they make it, like Morro said, if they don't at least they have given theirselves an opportunity.

So please tell me how this is bad for local community wombat. How about you concentrate on helping club's survive and stop bagging people that are trying to help kids live a dream instead of taking it away like the new U18 format will.

QAFL_FAN going to need some serious ice for that BURRRRNNN!

Jordy is still at Essendon you flog. They have 6 contracts left to issue with 8 players battling for them. Even if he misses a contract Jordy has been told he will still train at Essendon 2 nights a week and 1. Night a week at Keilor. If any injuries he will then be elevated. Not that I have to explain what we are doing anyway but seriously you have no idea. I hope he lands a contract as you will be first to know.

Tim Peck did 90% of preseason at Footscray and did his shoulder which required a full reconstruction. He got back late in year and played at Keillor and Footscray were happy for him to do preseason again last year but his personal situation changed and his partner had a child so his ambitions changed.

Nick Davidson has done preseason st both Essendon and Collingwood and in the first case didn't want it enough even though Essendon were happy for him to stay at club all year and train he was happy just playing at Keillor. He then had another chance at Collingwood last year but copped a significant concussion which looks like has ended his playing career.

So before you mouth off no one has made a list how about you check your facts to the reasons why first.

Hey Pirate i would not be having a go at other clubs grounds you may want to check your own back yard first
Hey commish sitting on the hill looking at the pirates"backyard" .....
Hey Pirate i would not be having a go at other clubs grounds you may want to check your own back yard first
Commish just sitting on the hill looking at the pirates "backyard".....just finished mowing it .....that much grass on it gotta mow it twice a week....
still pretty green even without rain...
infact looking pretty dam good....
oh if its the size you mean still the same as it was last year ....the year before that and the year before that one...
fourth year the buffs will play here in seniors.....get over it....

Hey commish sitting on the hill looking at the pirates"backyard" .....

Commish just sitting on the hill looking at the pirates "backyard".....just finished mowing it .....that much grass on it gotta mow it twice a week....
still pretty green even without rain...
infact looking pretty dam good....
oh if its the size you mean still the same as it was last year ....the year before that and the year before that one...
fourth year the buffs will play here in seniors.....get over it....

Pirates ground is 21 metres shorter and 14m less width than the goat track at kedron, we measured this last year.

Yet, only gets his chance now? What does that tell you?

Maybe Blocker can confirm if I am right about 3 blokes or not, apologies if I am wrong.

To summarise all of Blockers posts in short. Yes, you were wrong. None on any VFL lists ;)

Plenty of clubs would be prepared to provide similar opportunities to players who are willing and able. The old guy from Western Districts/Sherwood, (Kloover?) has sent many down to VFL or to SANFL or WAFL successfully. Morningside and Redlands have had several mature aged recruits in the last few years. Look at Josh Smith at Collingwood and Tom Bell at Brisbane via Carlton.

The best path to VFL/SANFL/WAFL (and then potentially AFL) opportunity is via QAFL or NEAFL. Simple as that.

No disrespect to young Jordie, but Keilor or Essendon VFL reserves he is further from an AFL list than he would be at Redlands or Morningside!

To summarise all of Blockers posts in short. Yes, you were wrong. None on any VFL lists ;)

Plenty of clubs would be prepared to provide similar opportunities to players who are willing and able. The old guy from Western Districts/Sherwood, (Kloover?) has sent many down to VFL or to SANFL or WAFL successfully. Morningside and Redlands have had several mature aged recruits in the last few years. Look at Josh Smith at Collingwood and Tom Bell at Brisbane via Carlton.

The best path to VFL/SANFL/WAFL (and then potentially AFL) opportunity is via QAFL or NEAFL. Simple as that.

No disrespect to young Jordie, but Keilor or Essendon VFL reserves he is further from an AFL list than he would be at Redlands or Morningside!

Proof will be in the pudding I suppose but seeing I have only been doing it for 3 years compared to these clubs for 30 years I have a bit of time to prove myself.

How about supporting such opportunities rather than s**t canning them. No wonder we have club's falling over left right and centre with blokes like you running the shambles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, both Tim Peck & Nic Davidson played in the NEAFL with Mt Gravatt which no doubt helped their development. Peck even scored a NEAFL rising star nomination, so it's not like he's come from the clouds of div 2 footy. Davidson finished top 10 in Vultures B&F in 2013 too. But good on them for having a crack down south.

To be fair, both Tim Peck & Nic Davidson played in the NEAFL with Mt Gravatt which no doubt helped their development. Peck even scored a NEAFL rising star nomination, so it's not like he's come from the clouds of div 2 footy. Davidson finished top 10 in Vultures B&F in 2013 too. But good on them for having a crack down south.
But this goes back to an earlier, well raised, point. If Tim and Nick were youngsters playing good footy in the NEAFL surely those in charge at MG back then had some sort of obligation to push their cases to those higher up the AFL "pathway" chain. Maybe they did and nothing ever came of it, but I say good on Blocker, regardless of how long those boys represented the Pirates or where they came from, for having a crack and trying to give them a shot at higher level footy. I've actually coached against both of those boys, Nick as a junior at MG (and with him during a short stint in the Colts at Springwood before injuries put a stop to that) and Timmy at Jindalee and I'm surprised they haven't gone further, both very good footballers.

But this goes back to an earlier, well raised, point. If Tim and Nick were youngsters playing good footy in the NEAFL surely those in charge at MG back then had some sort of obligation to push their cases to those higher up the AFL "pathway" chain. Maybe they did and nothing ever came of it, but I say good on Blocker, regardless of how long those boys represented the Pirates or where they came from, for having a crack and trying to give them a shot at higher level footy. I've actually coached against both of those boys, Nick as a junior at MG (and with him during a short stint in the Colts at Springwood before injuries put a stop to that) and Timmy at Jindalee and I'm surprised they haven't gone further, both very good footballers.
Someone with a brain wacko !!!!

Anyone know much about Matt Derrick who has arrived at the pirates from Palm Beach , this would have to be Jessie's brother

I'm not certain what you mean by AFL pathway and where the Vultures would have pushed them? They were playing the highest level available in Qld in a league that has a good record of getting kids drafted.
No NEAFL or QAFL club would ever hold back or begrudge a player who left to play a higher level. Well performed NEAFL regularly get offers from higher leagues.

Maybe I'm missing the point as I did miss the earlier discussion.

Anyone know much about Matt Derrick who has arrived at the pirates from Palm Beach , this would have to be Jessie's brother

Probably a bit old to be seeking the riches of an EDFL contract next season after paying his penance at the Pirates :fire::footy::D

(very good player for this level of footy though!)

Former PBC skipper, QAFL representative player and been playing for the Wodonga Raiders for a couple of years I think after following Cres down to the O&M.

Must be some good coin down at the Pirates, not just VFL contract offers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back