Review Purple Tiger Tamers - Freo beat Richmond by 54 points at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to see some stats on home crowd attendance between clubs when they're doing well (finals contention) vs not doing well (bottom 6).

Clubs like Richmond, Carlton and Port Adelaide all come to mind as clubs who fill out stadiums when they're doing well and clear out when they're not. Only 30k for Richmond when they'd normally be blowing above those numbers when contending.

We actually averaged 42k in 2018 in one of our worst years and 41k across 2023 and 2024.
Tbf 2018 Optus opened up so the novelty factor was there.

I reckon it's the perfect role, it's not that Emmett is only meant to play defensively, it's that he cant give anything offensively. Baker would result in like 2 more goals a game in that role

Is it?

Stay with me here but what if he did it…much better… 16-25 disposals and a couple of goals?

Tigers tried Baker as a pressure forward and he was ok. But if we're paying first rounders and 700k then I think it's fair to want more than ok.

If he could average 2 goals and 20 touches fair to say he'd still be playing there for the Tigers now.

I think our boys get a boost when they are acknowledged
Wrong. They might wander down High Street with a bit of lotion in their motion, maybe give the dog an extra ruffle round the ears, but on the paddock they go to absolute water when expectations are raised.

Until that’s fixed - until we beat the snot out of everyone we are meant to beat and close out the close ones positively - we are fair to middling.

I know. That might make them feel bad. Sorry.

Tigers supporters spewing about the umpires today. Did think that we got the rub of the green.
Should do after that fiasco against the Tankers
As if umpire assistance would have helped them win. Plus they should also consider winding back the unsociable acts now they’re a bit s**t. That stuff only flies when you’re flying.

I reckon it's the perfect role, it's not that Emmett is only meant to play defensively, it's that he cant give anything offensively. Baker would result in like 2 more goals a game in that role
This the Emmett who's just clicked over into double figures for games played? Maybe a little early for putting ceilings in what he can and can't do?

This the Emmett who's just clicked over into double figures for games played? Maybe a little early for putting ceilings in what he can and can't do?
We can say “at the moment” if it makes any difference but Emmett can still work on composure and disposal at Peel if it makes the team better

Tigers tried Baker as a pressure forward and he was ok. But if we're paying first rounders and 700k then I think it's fair to want more than ok.

If he could average 2 goals and 20 touches fair to say he'd still be playing there for the Tigers now.
Emmett still gets around for transition though, any of the three smalls playing run up between the centre of the ground and the goal square. I don think Baker will kick 2 goals a game but I think he’ll help set up an extra couple

Where did you have Baker playing?

Emmett still gets around for transition though, any of the three smalls playing run up between the centre of the ground and the goal square. I don think Baker will kick 2 goals a game but I think he’ll help set up an extra couple

Where did you have Baker playing?
I'm cooling honestly. I think he'd be best in Freddy's role, but I think Freddy is better at it in our system.

Baker is a better player than all our small forwards except Freddy, but isn't the same type of player as any of them and so he's not a straight overall improvement over any of them. JL has to alter the roles IMO to get the most out of Baker with our other players.

Feels like one of those situations where we overpay (relative to what we get out of them) just because they are available.

If he could replace JoM somehow that works for me.

His skills are good and better than most of our forwards and our wingers
Agree, but Miers is a class above on vision and kicking which is why he's so good.

Baker is a 7/10 kick, Miers is 9/10 (doesn't have penetration).

I think Baker can do a HHF linking job (like Freddy), but I wouldn't go in expecting Miers' output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can the club request the MRP to look into something?

That dog campaigner Miller needs to be rubbed out, what a piece of sh*t.

A man was killed in the US a few years ago from a similar act

The issue is it looked to me that Jye was pulling on his jumper….like pulling him off balance

Without looking at any numbers I feel like he's been a lot better in that regard this season. Haven't found myself frustrated at him anywhere near as much as last year.

The guys up the field are making a better contest of it, our smalls (mids/half backs/even forwards) are leading up to the defensive fifty and then when he kicks over the top they are all lined up defensive goal side of the spillage (because the talls being targeted but need to not be outmarked). How many times this year can you remember the long kick being spoiled, coming to ground and there's three or four Freo players at the feet of the talls who handball sideways and then kick to a loose player in the corridor?

So many times.

Treacy has been huge for this. It's also why I expect opposition talls will try and spoil the ball as deep towards their goal as possible to get over that pressure block of smalls between the ball and the goal.

The issue is it looked to me that Jye was pulling on his jumper….like pulling him off balance

Well that’s what your legal representation is for.

Warrants a please explain, which can only be done via tribunal.

To just go ‘yeah, nah.’ Is ignorant and against what the AFL is attempting to stamp out.

Theres no way he cops just a fine IMO.

Not the issue.
Jumpers are pulled hundreds of times in a match.
Knee to the neck is ...
Like...
any punch to the head...
Any punch to the groin...
Any eye gouge...
Must be totally banned, zero tolerance!
Test..
Is it a footy act?
Is it dangerous?

Knee to the neck two weeks after a concussion. AFL will suspend him, just so they show they are “protecting the head”. When as Brayshaw puts it, they choose when to do it.

5-3 after 8 rounds.

I suppose if we just pinched one of those close ones in Adelaide we would be over the moon and pushing for a Top 4 tilt.

I think after 8 games the West Coast game is now considered an outlier they wont ambush us again 2nd time around.

Would love to go 3-1 over the next month leading into the bye. Swans and Pies at home should be looked at as winnable. And Melbourne in Alice Springs is a neutral venue. St kilda always trouble us at Marvel no matter how good we are going and how s**t they are.

3-1 in the next month leaves us 8-4 after 12 and we would have knocked over at least 2 premiership contenders.

5-3 after 8 rounds.

I suppose if we just pinched one of those close ones in Adelaide we would be over the moon and pushing for a Top 4 tilt.

I think after 8 games the West Coast game is now considered an outlier they wont ambush us again 2nd time around.

Would love to go 3-1 over the next month leading into the bye. Swans and Pies at home should be looked at as winnable. And Melbourne in Alice Springs is a neutral venue. St kilda always trouble us at Marvel no matter how good we are going and how s**t they are.

3-1 in the next month leaves us 8-4 after 12 and we would have knocked over at least 2 premiership contenders.

Yeah, just one of those away losses into a win would place us much better. They’re in direct competition for spots around us.

The Pies game is massive.

Not the issue.
Jumpers are pulled hundreds of times in a match.
Knee to the neck is ...
Like...
any punch to the head...
Any punch to the groin...
Any eye gouge...
Must be totally banned, zero tolerance!
Test..
Is it a footy act?
Is it dangerous?
Amiss pulls his jumping causing him to be off balance which is the only reason the knee is on the neck. I don’t think he intentionally went down to put his knee there. He was about to stand and Amiss pulled him back down.

5-3 after 8 rounds.

We beat the Saints by 40 odd at marvel in 2022. With their outs we should be beating them.

5-3 after 8 rounds.

The other uncomfortable truth is we’ve played 6 out of the bottom 8 sides.

Plus, we seemingly got Adelaide and Brisbane at ‘good’ times.

We’re still hard to read.

All results and performances are possible against the Swans and next month of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back