Analysis PROS v CONS of finishing last, winning spoon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Well considering giving PPs is purely based upon the arbitrary whim of the AFL, I'd suggest that looking at how supportive they've been in other areas may be an indicator of how likely it would be that we'd get one.

I think this is right, but if we got lucky they might see the priority pick as a palatable golden handshake to the academy advantages. It would allow them to:
  • give the impression of helping us out when we need assistance
  • make that part of their pitch to persuade whichever new coach/administration they parachute in
  • mollify other clubs by pointing to the closed loopholes in academy drafting.
That said, their whims haven't generally worked in our favor so you're probably right.

The AFL don't care at all about QLD - we know this. I don't think the AFL actively dislike us - I think they are indifferent towards us - to them, we're just some oddball nephew living in another state. So helping or hindering us won't be a factor... The competition is simply their puppet, and they will look at what strings they can pull to achieve their goals.

Right now, I believe that their goals will be to distract the media from the Essendon drugs saga. That has been the story all season with the top-up players, and the AFL will be absolutely hating it. They tried to give Essendon a slap on the wrist and move on, and WADA wouldn't let them. Suspensions all round, and keeping it in the media for the next 2 seasons.

So - the AFL put up with it. Then the 2016 season is done - Essendon get the spoon and their players back, and the AFL finally get to move on. And now it's the competing off-season media:
- Essendon are starting their membership drive. They're talking about getting their players back and that they're actually a strong team pushing for finals in 2017.
- The Vic Media are talking about trades and drafts, and several articles link Essendon with pick 1 and Essendon's strong rhetoric.
- The AFL are freaking out... They just got past the drugs scandal, and they're looking at draft night, and realised the headlines will be 'Brodie goes at pick 1: Essendon cash in on suspensions'. Crap - this isn't what they wanted... The drugs stories are coming back... Quick - distract the media - Brisbane are horrible, give them a priority pick! New headline - 'Training base and priority pick to ease pains for Lousy Lions'... Yep, that'll do - they can spin that.

The AFL don't care at all about QLD - we know this. I don't think the AFL actively dislike us - I think they are indifferent towards us - to them, we're just some oddball nephew living in another state. So helping or hindering us won't be a factor... The competition is simply their puppet, and they will look at what strings they can pull to achieve their goals.

Right now, I believe that their goals will be to distract the media from the Essendon drugs saga. That has been the story all season with the top-up players, and the AFL will be absolutely hating it. They tried to give Essendon a slap on the wrist and move on, and WADA wouldn't let them. Suspensions all round, and keeping it in the media for the next 2 seasons.

So - the AFL put up with it. Then the 2016 season is done - Essendon get the spoon and their players back, and the AFL finally get to move on. And now it's the competing off-season media:
- Essendon are starting their membership drive. They're talking about getting their players back and that they're actually a strong team pushing for finals in 2017.
- The Vic Media are talking about trades and drafts, and several articles link Essendon with pick 1 and Essendon's strong rhetoric.
- The AFL are freaking out... They just got past the drugs scandal, and they're looking at draft night, and realised the headlines will be 'Brodie goes at pick 1: Essendon cash in on suspensions'. Crap - this isn't what they wanted... The drugs stories are coming back... Quick - distract the media - Brisbane are horrible, give them a priority pick! New headline - 'Training base and priority pick to ease pains for Lousy Lions'... Yep, that'll do - they can spin that.
So you are saying that they will support as almost as a default.

To that I say

Interesting to note that in the history of Priority Picks, Fremantle and WC are the only non-Victorian clubs to receive one. One each.

Hawthorn (3), Collingwood (2), Carlton (3) Richmond, Western Bulldogs (2), St Kilda (2), and Melbourne (3) all benefited - often playing better than we have been.

In 1998 we played ourselves out of a PP by winning the final game of the season.

Interesting to note that in the history of Priority Picks, Fremantle and WC are the only non-Victorian clubs to receive one. One each.

Hawthorn (3), Collingwood (2), Carlton (3) Richmond, Western Bulldogs (2), St Kilda (2), and Melbourne (3) all benefited - often playing better than we have been.

In 1998 we played ourselves out of a PP by winning the final game of the season.

I assume you mean pick 1 Priority Picks?

2011 - Port, Brisbane and Gold Coast all received an end of first round prioirty pick for winning less than 5 games in a season.

Of course, that was the year GWS joined up, so despite coming third last on 4 wins, we had pick 8 and the priority pick (traded for Lisle) was pick 29.

I assume you mean pick 1 Priority Picks?

2011 - Port, Brisbane and Gold Coast all received an end of first round prioirty pick for winning less than 5 games in a season.

Of course, that was the year GWS joined up, so despite coming third last on 4 wins, we had pick 8 and the priority pick (traded for Lisle) was pick 29.
I did yes. Should have qualified it.

Pros
1. No 1 Pick.
2. Guarantees priority pick (though may be pick 19, so get 19 & 20).
3. Forces the AFL to do something about our training facilities and financial situation.
4. Means a new coach. (If you don't sack a coach after finishing 1-21 as a sporting club you really aren't serious about winning anything in the medium future which is pathetic)
5. Means we have hit rock bottom and things can only get better.

Cons
1. Makes as a bigger joke than we already are.
2. Makes it harder to attract sponsor and get members to renew.
3. Players more likely to leave for chance of success.
4. AFL starts looking at exit strategy of how to get rid of one side in Qld as both are financial basket cases, which will more than likely mean merger with Suns.

Pros
1. No 1 Pick.
2. Guarantees priority pick (though may be pick 19, so get 19 & 20).
3. Forces the AFL to do something about our training facilities and financial situation.
4. Means a new coach. (If you don't sack a coach after finishing 1-21 as a sporting club you really aren't serious about winning anything in the medium future which is pathetic)
5. Means we have hit rock bottom and things can only get better.

Cons
1. Makes as a bigger joke than we already are.
2. Makes it harder to attract sponsor and get members to renew.
3. Players more likely to leave for chance of success.
4. AFL starts looking at exit strategy of how to get rid of one side in Qld as both are financial basket cases, which will more than likely mean merger with Suns.

They can't get rid of us without losing the broadcast deal - they must provide 9 games a week.

We Should get smart and start targeting the TV station so they pressure the AFL to help us. Ratings for Lions game must be abysmal which affects their advertising revenue.

They can't get rid of us without losing the broadcast deal - they must provide 9 games a week.

We Should get smart and start targeting the TV station so they pressure the AFL to help us. Ratings for Lions game must be abysmal which affects their advertising revenue.
Easy solution to that merge the two Brisbane teams and bring in Tassie. The deals that the Tasmanian government has signed in regards to Hawthorn and North Melbourne both have a get out clause which states that if a new team is established in Tasmania then the contract is void and no further games will be played in Tasmania. They will also terminate the sponsorship agreement with Hawthorn. No compensation is payable by the Tasmanian government to either Hawthorn or North Melbourne is this were to occur.

Easy solution to that merge the two Brisbane teams and bring in Tassie. The deals that the Tasmanian government has signed in regards to Hawthorn and North Melbourne both have a get out clause which states that if a new team is established in Tasmania then the contract is void and no further games will be played in Tasmania. They will also terminate the sponsorship agreement with Hawthorn. No compensation is payable by the Tasmanian government to either Hawthorn or North Melbourne is this were to occur.

Right. Didn't know that. This will be shouted down but I'd happily go to 1 Qld team if it meant being able to really enjoy going to the gabba for a game again. It's been a while. Don't even care about finals - just want family time to not end with everybody being miserable 11 times a year.

I must be having a bad day.

Right. Didn't know that. This will be shouted down but I'd happily go to 1 Qld team if it meant being able to really enjoy going to the gabba for a game again. It's been a while. Don't even care about finals - just want family time to not end with everybody being miserable 11 times a year.

I must be having a bad day.
I think that at the end of this tv rights deal if things haven't turned around financially for either club then the AFL will merge them. We're talking about purely cash injection into both clubs of some $20m this year alone to keep them afloat, then on top of it you have free tickets, marketing and other funding the AFL puts into SE Qld so the figure is well over $30m and they aren't getting any return, things are going backwards.

To sell the brand you either have to win magically with what you've got, or have a Franklin, Danderfield, Walker profile player or two, a proven high profile coach and the opportunity to start winning and improve immediately from round one. To sell the brand you need the USP. It's basic business and marketing 101. (Oh, and loads of commitment from the league. If they are sincere.) It will not happen with what we have now. It has little to do with football, and more to do with market dynamics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back