Predict Your Top 6

Remove this Banner Ad

bystanding backman

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2006
Nathalia
AFL Club
Essendon
Just to get peoples opinions of their top 6, see how good you are at tipping this early in the year. mine would be:

Nathalia
Mulwala
Barooga
Tocumwal
Echuca United
Congupna

My MFL Top 6:

Barooga
Nathalia
Mulwala
Echuca United
Congupna
Rumbalara

Nathlia
Rumbarla
Barooga
Mulwala
Congupna
Echuca United
Rumbalara 2nd mate..? They'll have to do something pretty good to get up there!

My top six:
Nathalia
Echuca United
Mulwala
Barooga
Congupna
Tocumwal

Much like 2006, the top 4 teams in 2007 will be very close and not much will separate them, it will be a great battle to see unfold during the season. Wins will be crucial and none of the teams in that top group will be able to afford to drop games.

Rumbalara 2nd mate..? They'll have to do something pretty good to get up there!

My top six:
Nathalia
Echuca United
Mulwala
Barooga
Congupna
Tocumwal

Much like 2006, the top 4 teams in 2007 will be very close and not much will separate them, it will be a great battle to see unfold during the season. Wins will be crucial and none of the teams in that top group will be able to afford to drop games.

oh sorry mate didnt mean in any particular order

Who will be in the bottom 3? My big idea is to merge the MFL & PDFL as a Murray Valley FL with 3 divisions. Top 10 MFL in div 1, Bottom 3 MFL & Top 6 PDFL in Div 2, and bottom 9 PDFL in div 3. Who would drop down and how would they go against Shepp East, Katandra, Tungamah etc.

Who will be in the bottom 3? My big idea is to merge the MFL & PDFL as a Murray Valley FL with 3 divisions. Top 10 MFL in div 1, Bottom 3 MFL & Top 6 PDFL in Div 2, and bottom 9 PDFL in div 3. Who would drop down and how would they go against Shepp East, Katandra, Tungamah etc.
The bottom 3 teams for the 2007 season in my opinion will be Moama, Cobram and Deniliquin.

I would have thought Deniliquin would be stronger than that. What has happened to Moama??

Deniliquin have really gone down the drain after their reign at the top which included 3 consecutive premierships. This year they have lost a number of players, 2 of which have been lured to Balranald who are offering big $$$. They are Anthony Bull and Ben Seignor. Aaron Barnes has transfered to Howlong, Aaron O'Connor will play for the Deniliquin Rovers and Brendan Sutcliffe and Daryl Murphy will most likely head to Mathoura.

Moama have been really disapointing over the last few years. I couldn't be sure as to the exact reasons but they certainly have plenty of money but they aren't really spending it.

Deniliquin have really gone down the drain after their reign at the top which included 3 consecutive premierships. This year they have lost a number of players, 2 of which have been lured to Balranald who are offering big $$$. They are Anthony Bull and Ben Seignor. Aaron Barnes has transfered to Howlong, Aaron O'Connor will play for the Deniliquin Rovers and Brendan Sutcliffe and Daryl Murphy will most likely head to Mathoura.

Moama have been really disapointing over the last few years. I couldn't be sure as to the exact reasons but they certainly have plenty of money but they aren't really spending it.

Thanks for the update Willo- I think it was only a few years ago that those teams were in the top 3 or 4

There would have been a time when Deni would have beaten Deni Rovers by 50+ goals. How do you think a match would go now?

What about Shepparton East (PDFL 1st) V Cobram (MFL 13th)???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would have been a time when Deni would have beaten Deni Rovers by 50+ goals. How do you think a match would go now?

I dont follow the PDFL that closely, but the Rams still have some quality within their side, but would probably only get over the Rovers by about 6-8 goals.

Depending on how Cobram recruited over the summer, I would say Shepparton East would get up over the Tigers. Cobram were very disapointing in 2006, and I saw Shepparton East play Mathoura late in the season and they do have some very good players. I would be interested to see how they would perform in the MFL. I was supprised that they didn't enter the competition at the start of last season.

Go easy on Deni boys, they aren't as strong as they used to be but they would still do the Rovers by 25 goals. The Rovers didn't even make the Picola League finals last year.

I can't work out why Shepp East didn't trasfer to the Murray League when it left the Central Goulburn.

I can't work out why Shepp East didn't trasfer to the Murray League when it left the Central Goulburn.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I would have much rathered Sheparton East than Rumbalara, although if they were in the MFL now, it would eliminate the bye.

Nathalia
Barooga
Mulwala
Echuca Utd
Congupna
Tocumwal

Top4 should be right, next two spots will be tight,
Numurkah should be thereabouts again
Finley havent heard much
Tonny will improve
Rumba unknown quantity
Deni in decline
Moama seem to have lost more than gained
Cobram no movement, lost Shelley

Would be an interesting one, I think Cobrams best 4 from last year(Merritt, Tamburro, Shelley, Bunn) would be better than Shepp Easts without knowing exactly who they would be maybe, Ahmat, Perkovic, O'Neill, Brad Montgomery.
Shepp East would be more even across the whole team and there bottom 8-10 players would be better than Cobram.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I would have much rathered Sheparton East than Rumbalara, although if they were in the MFL now, it would eliminate the bye.
why would you rather shepp east over rumba willo? maybe someone from shepp east can answer why they didn't want to go murray league? i think that rumba will be a very strong within the next 5 years, there will be alot of clubs very worried by that, including your mob willo. with statements like that willo, you make me want to come out of retirement and play against united.

why would you rather shepp east over rumba willo? maybe someone from shepp east can answer why they didn't want to go murray league? i think that rumba will be a very strong within the next 5 years, there will be alot of clubs very worried by that, including your mob willo. with statements like that willo, you make me want to come out of retirement and play against united.
Just a personal opinion mate, but I share it with many other people involved in the MFL. I havn't got any personal hatred towards the Rumbalara Football Club, but I just don't agree with some of the things that have gone on there in the past. (And before you ask, I am not going to go into any more detail about these issues because they have already been discussed on here.)

I wish Rumbalara Football Club all the best in the future and I can't wait to see some of the area's Indigenous players flourish.

Just a personal opinion mate, but I share it with many other people involved in the MFL. I havn't got any personal hatred towards the Rumbalara Football Club, but I just don't agree with some of the things that have gone on there in the past. (And before you ask, I am not going to go into any more detail about these issues because they have already been discussed on here.)

I wish Rumbalara Football Club all the best in the future and I can't wait to see some of the area's Indigenous players flourish.
what has gone on there in the past? from where i stand, no rumba player has ever hurt anybody of the ball, the crowd is like any other crowd you have your idiots and there doing alot of good stuff in the area by trying to address problems within the community (drugs, alcohol, unemployment, education, health etc).

I think that before you form an opinion on the footy club, take some time out to think about what there trying to do in the community and how hard it is when you have got people of similar opinion to yourself just bagging them at every opportunity. if i had a dollar every time that a non aboriginal person had this stereotype of me, i would be a very rich man.

before you come out with some story that my uncles, nephews daughther was set upon by 10 aboriginal people and thats why i am the way i am. think about all the times a aboriginal person like myself encounters racism on a every day basis (footy field, pub, shop, school etc) and i still never label all non aboriginal people as racist.

so think about that and stop being afraid/ignorant, otherwise you will be a young lad that will miss out on alot of things in your life time by being afraid and ignorant.

what has gone on there in the past? from where i stand, no rumba player has ever hurt anybody of the ball, the crowd is like any other crowd you have your idiots and there doing alot of good stuff in the area by trying to address problems within the community (drugs, alcohol, unemployment, education, health etc).

I think that before you form an opinion on the footy club, take some time out to think about what there trying to do in the community and how hard it is when you have got people of similar opinion to yourself just bagging them at every opportunity. if i had a dollar every time that a non aboriginal person had this stereotype of me, i would be a very rich man.

before you come out with some story that my uncles, nephews daughther was set upon by 10 aboriginal people and thats why i am the way i am. think about all the times a aboriginal person like myself encounters racism on a every day basis (footy field, pub, shop, school etc) and i still never label all non aboriginal people as racist.

so think about that and stop being afraid/ignorant, otherwise you will be a young lad that will miss out on alot of things in your life time by being afraid and ignorant.

Well said mate, and I agree with the things you have said. As I said, I am not willing to discuss my reasons as they have already been outlined, but they havn't got anything to do with the things you said about players, supporters etc.

I think that the Rumbalara Football Club as a whole is doing a fantastic job in the community with all of their different programs in highlighting and addressing the problems experienced by the Indigenous people. I am not bagging the club at every opportunity and no I havn't got any prejudice feelings or a grudge against Indigenous people. I am mates with plenty of koorie kids and I do not have a problem with them, as I have no reason to!

I am not being ignorant or affraid mate, I am just addressing my view, as are you and I think it's great that we can do it. In 5 years I can't wait to see and play against some quality opposition at Rumbalara.

Go easy on Deni boys, they aren't as strong as they used to be but they would still do the Rovers by 25 goals. The Rovers didn't even make the Picola League finals last year.

If Shepp East joined the MFL it would make 7 major league teams coming from Shepp/Moor (Bears, United, Swans, Rumba, Congupna, Shepp East & Mooroopna). If you look at other regional centres you wont see that many.

Bendigo: Sandhurst, South Bendigo, Eaglehawk, Kangaroo Flat, Golden Square.

Too many major league teams. Shepp East would perform well but to challenge for a flag they would have to increase spending and for a club like that they would struggle. They are a minor league powerhouse (as Congupna was) and the step up will take its toll.

That is why I am convinced that there is a place for a league between MFL & PDFL. Which the Tungamah League used to be.

In 2003, when Katandra had all four footy grades in the Grand Final (only losing the twos) I started thinking about why we dont join the Murray League. A move we very nearly made in 1987. It is a huge step from being a minor league powerhouse to be a competitive major league team.

We would be competing against much larger towns and would have to bank on regaining all of our players who are currently playing GV or Murray League and then add some. I have no doubt that if we had all those players back we would surprise many MFL teams. But to do it year in and year out would be extremely taxing on the club. The winning mentality that we currently have would dwindle and people would leave and we would be left at looking at relegation. So before people starting wanting to 'penalise' good minor league teams and take them up a level. Maybe look at they way they conduct themsleves in the leagues they are in and use those ideas for your own club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back