Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

If you proportionally shrunk the earth down to the size of a billiard ball, despite all the mountains/canyons etc it would be smoother than any human made billiard ball.
Not saying I don't believe this one, but I'd love to know what they base this assertion on.

Not saying I don't believe this one, but I'd love to know what they base this assertion on.
I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson say it.

He basically just referred to the mathematics of it. I've done some very rough calculations and for the billiard ball to be smoother it would have to have no protrusions greater than 40 microns - seems believable enough but I can't picture 40 microns very easily.

Spent some time with an astronomer and his telescope the other night, looked at jupiter through the telescope, all the other plantes could fit inside jupiter or 1300 earths could fit inside it. It's crazy big and seeing it through a telescope along with saturn and it's rings was amazingly cool.

Spent some time with an astronomer and his telescope the other night, looked at jupiter through the telescope, all the other plantes could fit inside jupiter or 1300 earths could fit inside it. It's crazy big and seeing it through a telescope along with saturn and it's rings was amazingly cool.

Related to this.

All the planets combined can fit in the distance between Earth and the moon.

Space is f***ing big.

smart....

"The fastest way to find correct information is to post incorrect information online. Someone will very soon tell you that you're wrong."
That's right. It's called Godwin's Law.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's as irrefutable as Moore's Law I've heard
Moore's Law suggests that the number of transistors in an integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. Moore's law is an observation and projection of a historical trend. Rather than a law of physics, it is an empirical relationship linked to gains from experience in production

Moore's Law suggests that the number of transistors in an integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. Moore's law is an observation and projection of a historical trend. Rather than a law of physics, it is an empirical relationship linked to gains from experience in production

It's astonishing that he could have foreseen that, there have been recent questions about whether it is still applicable, but it's still thereabouts I'd reckon. When you consider he came up with it around the 70s I think that's unbelievable.

Here's a couple of pretty interesting basketball cards from the 1990-91 Hoops NBA set, featuring a couple of players who aren't exactly household names in Australia: Sam Vincent and Mark Jackson. See the respective points of interest in these cards (hint: it's nothing to do with Vincent or Jackson)?

1705827011556.png

I expect a few people would spot the interesting quirk about Vincent's without too much trouble: there's Michael Jordan in the foreground, wearing the very unusual #12 for the only time in his career (instead of his familiar #23 - he also wore #45 for about 20 games following his return from retirement in 1995).

His #23 was stolen shortly before the start of the game. Other pictures from the game show the back of the singlet without the usual player surname above the number.

GettyImages-1173552-copy.jpg

Right, so that's straightforward enough. What about Jackson's? Well, for his, you need to look a little closer, I didn't hear about this until a couple of years ago and I believe it had gone unnoticed until then. Check out the spectators in the front row, particularly the guys on the far left. The Menendez brothers.

Since no opponent is featured on the card, it's hard to pinpoint a precise date of exactly when this was (not sure if anyone has been able to). The murders were committed in August 1989 (when the NBA is in the offseason) and the brothers were arrested in March 1990. But it appears to be accepted that the photo on the card was taken after the murders, sometime during the 1989-90 season. I guess they must only use photos from the previous season (and not earlier) on a given season's card set. Plus, the Menendezes were based in California for several years prior to the murders, so not sure they would have had a chance to go to many Knicks games until their parents were out of the way.

il_570xN.3222669608_ofw9.jpg

Attachments

• 1705826098559.png
    1705826098559.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 1705826299813.png
    1705826299813.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
This one I already knew - was reading up about the Michelin star a couple of years back. Started as a way of trying to sell more tyres by getting people to drive more

What I didn't know until reading through the comments was the connection between Guinness brewery and the 'Guinness World Records'

Where it all started​

The idea for a book of records begins in the early 1950s when Sir Hugh Beaver (1890—1967), Managing Director of the Guinness Brewery, attends a shooting party in County Wexford. There, he and his hosts argue about the fastest game bird in Europe, and fail to find an answer in any reference book.

In 1954, recalling his shooting party argument, Sir Hugh has the idea for a Guinness promotion based on the idea of settling pub arguments and invites the twins Norris (1925—2004) and Ross McWhirter (1925—75) to compile a book of facts and figures. Guinness Superlatives is incorporated on 30 November and the office opens in two rooms in a converted gymnasium on the top floor of Ludgate House, 107 Fleet Street.

After an initial research phase, work begins on writing the book, which takes 13 and a half 90-hour weeks, including weekends and bank holidays. Little do the McWhirters know that taking shape is a book that will go on to become an all-time best seller and one of the most recognized and trusted brands in the world…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back