Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Tutankhamen lived and died 1342-1324 bce

Cleopatra lived 69-30 bc

More comparable to signing of Magna Carta

My bad, what I had meant to say was that Cleopatra was born closer to today than when the Pyramids were constructed (around 3200 BC). Although I had thought Tutankhamen's short lifespan was years earlier than it was.

Here's another interesting one; earlier this week (15 April) it was the 112th anniversary of the Titanic sinking in 1912. However, later this year on Sunday 28th July 2024 the Titanic will have been gone for 41,012 days. Why is this significant? Because on that date, the Titanic will have sank closer in time to the 1700s (31 December 1799) than to the present day.

I don't know what that last operator means, it's like "modulus but they're straight lines, hmm.

(I have more of a nerd mind than a dirty one)
Greatest integer less than or equal to x. When x is positive it means just dropping anything after the decimal point eg 5.823 becomes 5. It's a bit less intuitive for negative numbers where -5.823 becomes -6.

Last edited:
Why is everything where x<-1 not straight perpendicular lines?
y^2 = x / floor(x)

When x is slightly less than -1, floor(x) = -2 and x ≈ -1

so y^2 ≈ -1/-2 = 1/2

When x is slightly greater than -2, floor(x) = -2 and x ≈ -2

so y^2 ≈ -2/-2 = 1

When x is slightly less than negative integer n, floor(n) = n-1 and n ≈ n

so y^2 ≈ n/(n-1) this fraction is closer and closer to 1 the larger n get

When x is much less than negative integer n but still greater than n-1 we have n ≈ n-1 and floor(n) = n-1

so y^2 ≈ (n-1)/(n-1) = 1

Ultimately we have y^2 being slightly less than 1 immediately to the left of a negative integer and climbing to 1 as x approaches the next negative integer to the left.

Everything is mirrored because y^2 will have a positive and negative solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back