Player Watch Pick #33 (2016) - Willem Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to Willem - most honest player in the league. This said, do you give 5 years to a mid fielder who is currently your 4th inline?

Yes. I doubt he’s on big coin, especially as the years go on and the cap goes up.

Structurally he’s very important as the blue collar in and under and defensive player amidst our star mids.

With wines being 30 and cooked and no one behind drew it would have hurt to lose him.

Signing him now is massive.

Rozee butters jhf and Drew locked in for years now.

That’s really good.

Now the next big signing is Todd who is also a free agent.

Well done to Willem - most honest player in the league. This said, do you give 5 years to a mid fielder who is currently your 4th inline?
He's an honest reliable player and won't be on massive money, of course you lock a guy like that in. If we can keep Drew, Butters, JHF, and Rozee together in the middle for the next few years it should be good to watch.

Longer than I would have given him to be honest. A good but not elite midfielder who has never shown any propensity to play anywhere else. The sort of guy who can find himself going the way of Luke Dunstan.

Marshall is an interesting one. I really want to keep him. But I’m not afraid to lose him if another club offers a godfather offer. Sydney are clearly in the market for a key forward and have the cap space.
If Lord and Georgiades were able to take it to the next level this year and we were to get a First Round Comp for Marshall I would almost be willing to let him go.

A 2 year contract probably was the better call but meh.

Needs to seriously improve if he wants to be an elite player. Just a standard average player. Nothing bad nothing special.
He is perfect in our side to compliment the fire power of JHF, Butters and Rozee.
4 Years may be one too much though, but still am happy to have him committed.

Seems long but he's certainly become a consistent and reliable player. Was one of the few who put in anything resembling a respectable shift in the GWS final. My only worry is that with Rozee, Butters and JHF locked in, he's one midfielder emerging from anywhere at any point away from being made redundant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Willie Style.
The Andrew Moore we wanted Andrew Moore to be.
Happy with this.

I'm a bit of a Drew fan.

He spoke exceptionally well.

I hope he gets more weapons with his offensive game.

Has been crucial shutting down some elite midfielders for us winning games.

He is the one midfielders where I know he won't shirt running back. Always working his butt off.

Longer than I would have given him to be honest. A good but not elite midfielder who has never shown any propensity to play anywhere else. The sort of guy who can find himself going the way of Luke Dunstan.
This is the type of player you lock in, he's an important role player with our midfield, but may be swayed to be top 3 at a struggling club.
He's too important to lose to that.

Give him a long contract to make him feel good about his role and place at the club.

This is the type of player you lock in, he's an important role player with our midfield, but may be swayed to be top 3 at a struggling club.
He's too important to lose to that.
I think you'd struggle big time to find a club where he'd be a top 3 mid. Maybe West Coast, that's about it. You'd have an easier time finding clubs where he wouldn't get a game at all.

I think you'd struggle big time to find a club where he'd be a top 3 mid. Maybe West Coast, that's about it. You'd have an easier time finding clubs where he wouldn't get a game at all.
I think that's a stretch - I think we would see him as a potential Liam Shiels type, a very important cog in a functioning midfield who allows the stars to be able to reach their full potential while also stepping up to the plate when necessary. I'd say other clubs would view him similarly.

Marshall is an interesting one. I really want to keep him. But I’m not afraid to lose him if another club offers a godfather offer. Sydney are clearly in the market for a key forward and have the cap space.

That would be dumb.

We would likely get an end of first, get a pick in the 20’s after compo has been handed out so we can take our chances on some flanker in the draft.

Eh. I think there’s a fair quality difference between him and dunstan,

Certainly his disposal in close is far neater, he’s far better defensively for his shutdown roles.

And he’s a need with our current midfield mix.

I don’t see how he gets displaced in our midfield.

He offers something different to the mids we have , and the guys outside the 22 like sinn and Jackson don’t replace him either. They will go out onto the wing / flank.

Meads on the delist pile and not a threat to replace him. Bergman could make a move into the midfield eventually but still don’t see him as a replacement for Drew. It’s much more likely Bergman plays wing with some minutes on-ball then he becomes an inside full time mid. More because of what we’ve got in there than Bergman himself.

Any mid we bring in the next year or 3 isn’t likely ready for a while.

For instance a guy we draft in 2025 won’t be 23 until 2029.

I don’t see any likely drew replacements coming up on the trade market either.

Drew occupies a list need we simply have zero depth in.

Even spp isn’t the right fit to step into his role.

If Lord and Georgiades were able to take it to the next level this year and we were to get a First Round Comp for Marshall I would almost be willing to let him go.

Yuck.

Weve found and developed a kf, why on earth would we want to reset and go back to square zero?

If lord and Georgiades develop…. We should be playing a lord Marshall Georgiades forward line, not getting rid of Todd so we can get a pick in the 20’s. There’s no upside for that. I mean we just traded a pick in the 20’s for a mid career not yet established key defender who failed as a kf.

He is perfect in our side to compliment the fire power of JHF, Butters and Rozee.
4 Years may be one too much though, but still am happy to have him committed.
I don’t 100% agree, if Ollie returns to his Brownlow form and JHF continues to grow he may not even fit into the midfield next year.

Seems weird to sign him to 5 years, yeah he is great defensively but probably one of the worst offensive player in the team.

What's your beef with The Willem, man?

Why does Drew have to be a top 3 at every club level mid to be valuable to our side?

He’s good at the stuff our best mids either aren’t that good at, or we don’t want them to be doing that role.

As I said earlier,

1. He’s the right fit of player next to the midfielders we have

2. We have absolutely no one on the list remotely capable of doing what he does for our side and it’s unlikely that changes anytime soon

3. There’s no reason to suspect he’s on anything other than supporting midfielder money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back