Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we all shitting on a guy for kicking 2 goals in a game where the forward delivery was dogshit, because of where he kicked them from? Do goals not count for 6 points if you kick them from near the boundary line?

Why are we all shitting on a guy for kicking 2 goals in a game where the forward delivery was dogshit, because of where he kicked them from? Do goals not count for 6 points if you kick them from near the boundary line?
Dixon has a two goal game he's by some bizarre logic a He-man.

Thing is we play dumb bomb it in football (it's the Ken way) - which needs Dixon.

So lets give Dicko a rest and just continue to play bomb it in football.

Did anybody think in the football brains department we might need to try something else on Saturday?

How many times were we streaming from the middle eyes up and nobody leading, we just bombed it in no matter what.

I think we should throw Marshall back, in the old Hoff role.
He's got the same lopey lack of urgency as Westhoff.

That is ridiculously harsh to say he’s been very poor in the last 3.

Has wavered between excellent to ‘okay but efficient’ this season. Hasn’t had a bad game yet. Hasn’t been as involved as the first couple of games but it’s surely no coincidence that in that time our ball use going forward devolved into the absolute worst dross imaginable.
He's been very poor in the last 3.

He kicked 2 goals on the weekend, one in absolute garbage time. He had 7 touches and 5 clangers.

And your favourite... 0 goal assists. In fact, he's had 0 goal assists in his last 3 games, which was your measuring stick for how he was in All Australian contention.

I want Todd to be good, we need him to be good to have success. He's not playing well and he seems to be the one player that has more excuses made for him than any other. It's Charlie, it's the delivery, it's this, it's that.

One of those goals was when we were well in front and the other was when the game was completely over. I'm not shitting on him for kicking 2 goals, I'm saying he had a poor game. I just also hate that his shots on goal always seem to be from the boundary line. They went through in this game, they didn't in game 1, for example.

With regards to Charlie's 2 goals, one of those was part of the reason why we won the game - when the heat was on and we needed it. That actually does matter. And by his own admission, he didn't play well in that game and no one was posting about how well he played in that game either.

I think Todd should be judged on what he does and to take Charlie completely the hell out of it.

That is ridiculously harsh to say he’s been very poor in the last 3.

Has wavered between excellent to ‘okay but efficient’ this season. Hasn’t had a bad game yet. Hasn’t been as involved as the first couple of games but it’s surely no coincidence that in that time our ball use going forward devolved into the absolute worst dross imaginable.
I think he and the whole team suffer from only ever playing under one coach, haven’t rounded their games and haven’t built resilience which has left them unable to change. Same game plan, same pieces to the puzzle, same result

Because

1. The standards expected of kfs to deliver at port have always wavered between very high to super unrealistic

2. He looks somewhat laconic and people have always judged laconic players harder. They just attract more criticism.

3. People are so invested in the Todd hate it literally takes him kicking bags week in week out for them , not to turn around and change their minds no, just to stay quiet until he’s not kicking bags.

Because

1. The standards expected of kfs to deliver at port have always wavered between very high to super unrealistic

2. He looks somewhat laconic and people have always judged laconic players harder. They just attract more criticism.

3. People are so invested in the Todd hate it literally takes him kicking bags week in week out for them , not to turn around and change their minds no, just to stay quiet until he’s not kicking bags.

This is my post in this very thread after our very first game of the year:
I feel like it was a pretty dominant game by Todd, even with the misses. If that was 3 goals instead of 3 behinds, that's an easy best on ground for me.

So no, it's not just "staying quiet until he's not kicking bags." I want him to be good. I will praise him when he's good. I was excited that he would break out this year. I'm disappointed it's gone the other way.

He's been very poor in the last 3.

He kicked 2 goals on the weekend, one in absolute garbage time. He had 7 touches and 5 clangers.

And your favourite... 0 goal assists. In fact, he's had 0 goal assists in his last 3 games, which was your measuring stick for how he was in All Australian contention.

I want Todd to be good, we need him to be good to have success. He's not playing well and he seems to be the one player that has more excuses made for him than any other. It's Charlie, it's the delivery, it's this, it's that.

One of those goals was when we were well in front and the other was when the game was completely over. I'm not shitting on him for kicking 2 goals, I'm saying he had a poor game. I just also hate that his shots on goal always seem to be from the boundary line. They went through in this game, they didn't in game 1, for example.

He has been down on that early season form, which was excellent but by no means has he been poor the last few weeks.

It’s easy to see we’ve used him very little. We probably kicked it to an outnumbered Dbj who wasn’t even calling or presenting more times than than Todd.

And how many times has Todd been burned by his fellow forwards who display the skills of a drunken toddler? Dbj missed a leading open by a country mile Todd by almost as far as the kick travelled last game. We’ve seen Todd give it to teammates right in front of goal for them to spray it wildly like spp did last week vs freo.

If Dixon was half as efficient as Todd is than he would be kicking bags of 5/6 regularly with the amount of times we go through him. We already saw what happened to Todd’s scoring when we increased his usual rate just a little in 2022.

Todd doesn’t need us to target him like we target Dixon to contribute.

He has been down on that early season form, which was excellent but by no means has he been poor the last few weeks.

It’s easy to see we’ve used him very little. We probably kicked it to an outnumbered Dbj who wasn’t even calling or presenting more times than than Todd.

And how many times has Todd been burned by his fellow forwards who display the skills of a drunken toddler? Dbj missed a leading open by a country mile Todd by almost as far as the kick travelled last game. We’ve seen Todd give it to teammates right in front of goal for them to spray it wildly like spp did last week vs freo.

If Dixon was half as efficient as Todd is than he would be kicking bags of 5/6 regularly with the amount of times we go through him. We already saw what happened to Todd’s scoring when we increased his usual rate just a little in 2022.

Which part of 2nd in the league for marks i50 doesn't make sense to you? lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should throw Marshall back, in the old Hoff role.
He's got the same lopey lack of urgency as Westhoff.
He did that at the end of the Freo game.

Alex Pearce followed him down there. End result was Alex Pearce getting hit up on the lead 30m out, right in front. Luckily for Port, Pearce dropped the mark. Then after we recovered the loose ball, we saw Todd standing in the goal square.

So yeah, Todd dropping back to clog up the defensive 50 really didn't work.

He did that at the end of the Freo game.

Alex Pearce followed him down there. End result was Alex Pearce getting hit up on the lead 30m out, right in front. Luckily for Port, Pearce dropped the mark. Then after we recovered the loose ball, we saw Todd standing in the goal square.

So yeah, Todd dropping back to clog up the defensive 50 really didn't work.

In wasn't being serious but that is pretty funny.

Todd is a wing.

But we cant afford to play him there.
I'm not sure Todd has the tank this year to play wing consistently because of his limited preseason. Finlayson is a natural tall winger/forward in the Westhoff mold but we refuse to play him there.

LOL. The way we have kicked Todd can't complain about the number of goal assists he has had. Based on the stats those assists were more likely to be points than goals.

If Dixon had 5 clangers from 7 disposals and 2 goals one in junk time you would be trashing him as usual. Particularly with the game Moore had after the first quarter. Its one standard for Dixon and another for Todd.

In 2022 Todd averaged 1.9 goals a game when Dixon didn't play and 2.4 goals a game when Dixon did play. When will this Todd plays better/gets more opportunity without Dixon BS end??? Part of the reason Todd had such a good 2022 season was his supreme 62.5% GA and kudos to him for that I hope he can get back to that. However his career GA of 55.1% including 2022 is average and about ranks below Dixon at 55.3%. It drives me ******* insane when commentators and posters on here call Todd the sharpshooter ad infinitum when stats prove that just aint so.

IMO, which I believe is objective, is that Todd is doing not too bad with very limited preparation so far this season. This thread would be a lot less active if his kicking for goal was better although that could be said for all our talls bar Mitch.

He does really well on a lead and in space but the return of Mitch and watching his attack on the ball reminds me of just how frustrating it is to watch Todd in a contested situation. But Todd may well be just a couple of serious concussions away from early retirement so I can live with that I guess. It doesn't help that he appears to struggle to put on muscle mass.

I'd like to think he will improve as the season progresses as long as he is managed properly. I believe he is always going to be a better player when we have a target man like Dixon or Lord in the team provided we kick to Marshall (and all our forwards) when we can put it to their advantage as a first option. Kicking to an outnumbered target man like we so often do should only even be the I50 of last resort but our dickhead coach will never learn that.

If Dixon had 5 clangers from 7 disposals and 2 goals one in junk time you would be trashing him as usual.

I criticise Dixon lately cause as we know he’s the most targeted forward in the league, and he gets such average returns for how much we play through him.

the dump it on Dixon’s head all game long no matter what gameplan is getting us nowhere.

I criticise Dixon lately cause as we know he’s the most targeted forward in the league, and he gets such average returns for how much we play through him.

the dump it on Dixon’s head all game long no matter what gameplan is getting us nowhere.
If the ball was delivered in the same manner to any forward as it is to Dixon, and those forwards were paid the same attention as Dixon, few of them would get a better return. You cannot criticise Dixon for his return based on how the ball is delivered to him and how often. It is simply not his fault.

Even if he is screaming for the ball to be kicked long and high every inside 50, the players have the option to ignore him and look for the opportunities that should arise elsewhere because of the attention he attracts. To a degree this does happen, although not as often as it should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back