Photo thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Very nice of you to say so Harks - you've got a great eye for light/luminance - shot above is nicely lit and what a fascinating scene/set.the stuff you have posted so far is quite evocative.

I'm in a B&W shooting phase atm - regret selling my original Leica M monochrom all this futzing around with different colour sliders to get a decent B&W can be a pain...

L1010570.jpg

Nothing nice about facts. :)

I'm not disciplined enough to have a single focus on images I want to take and the fact is that Lightroom takes precedence over my eye.
Maybe I'll change that soon, because I'm starting to tire of over-worked images....like really tired.

Your above image again showcases those beautiful tones. well done.

Not sure if this thread is about our own photography, or photos in general....either way, I just thought I'd add to the thread.

This is one of many from Shelby Lee Adams, taken of families in the Appalachian mountains....many of the photos captured are fairly confronting, others quite disturbing, but brilliantly capture a lifestyle that most of us could only imagine. It ended up in a documentary entitled 'The True Meaning of Pictures'.

If you do a google search, it'll come up with his photos all in black and white....well worth a look.

View attachment 822492

BH: the purpose of the thread is for people to post photographs they have made or like - as long as we acknowledge the source of the image we post - I think we are doing the right thing. It is ( I think ) interesting to read why someone likes a photograph or not.

Yes these Adams shots are definitely interesting - reminiscent of the photographer who made her name going around photographing poor people and destitute farmers in the Great Depression hmm Mary Ellen Marks I think?...

Nothing nice about facts. :)

I'm not disciplined enough to have a single focus on images I want to take and the fact is that Lightroom takes precedence over my eye.
Maybe I'll change that soon, because I'm starting to tire of over-worked images....like really tired.

Your above image again showcases those beautiful tones. well done.

I've switched to Capture One - after a many years on LR. The less PP work I have to do the better AFAIC - nothing more 'eye hurting' than the overworked stuff presented by many on public forums - I feel it isn't photography it is more an illustration. My rule ( I guess) is if the finished image 'looks' worked - it is a fail.

Don't get a big head Harker -:) - but I was amazed at your shots - they say (to me) more about your person and real personality than any football writings.

BH: the purpose of the thread is for people to post photographs they have made or like - as long as we acknowledge the source of the image we post - I think we are doing the right thing. It is ( I think ) interesting to read why someone likes a photograph or not.

Yes these Adams shots are definitely interesting - reminiscent of the photographer who made her name going around photographing poor people and destitute farmers in the Great Depression hmm Mary Ellen Marks I think?...
Awesome JaB....sometimes we see a photo in a journal or a web site that just blows you away...not so much the image, but the story behind it, and putting yourself in the place of the people being photographed to capture the feelings of that moment in time.

I also totally appreciate the photos of our posters - we have some talented people amongst us. At the same time, images that people find interesting for a variety of reasons can be just as interesting.

Great thread :thumbsu:

17/8/19
Round 22 v Saints.
SPS.png

Came across this the other night whilst looking through the folders and couldn't decide between B&W or colour so went with both after seeing the amazing B&W shots above. :thumbsupemoji:

the B&W for me - but I think it could be improved a tad with some post processing SammaGilberto

Your tones are so beautiful, I don't think you want to get too carried away.
Given the images you've showcased here, I like that the blacks aren't too black and the whites, white.

I use Lightroom a lot, but have found over time, that I'm backing off doing too much....and that whole HDR thing....yuck!

Yes over cooking is as bad as under developing - my simple rule is to try and get a pleasing transition through the various zones - whether working in colour or B&W - if an image looks 'flat' in tones - typically it needs the midtones to be adjusted - the S curve and its variants. Personally I don't mind sparkling blacks and whites - but the midtones are the bridge.

gasolinaMono.jpg
same applies to colour for me anyway

GasolinaColour.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

welcome to the thread Arr0w and happydude ..

FYI: I use an URL link directly from my work in progress website...

btw happydude my city house was behind you about 200meters when I lived in Melbourne....

Docklands.jpg

in front of my place :p

docklands2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back