PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If the monitor doesn't have a KVM switch then you'll need that USB B as a passthrough. Of course that can only connect to one computer at a time but there are USB switching devices out there you might be able to try.

If you want to go with KVm then they are obscene for the price.

Or if you want to do this remotely you're into the world of ipkvm, which are even more expensive, but can be done with a pi ala

FTR; I have two pikvm's and they work great.

You're USB hub is powered by the USB-B port.

This is the case for every monitor I've ever encountered. I've never gotten the passthrough to work as dwwaino has mentioned,but this was years ago.

I use mine for wireless dongles which is handy for when they need to be direct line of sight (monitor has a couple USB ports on the bottom). So things like my wireless Modmic and Xbox wireless controller dongles.

Thanks for the replies!!

Can I use this from the monitor

Then use this to switch between desktop and laptop

Or something like this switch?

Would that work?

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies!!

Can I use this from the monitor

Then use this to switch between desktop and laptop

Or something like this switch?

Would that work?

I don't think that would do what you want, esp if you want to use your laptop with the monitor (my assumption).

I think you need to be looking at something like this.

Amazon product ASIN B08JM18GVC
You will need HDMI or DisplayPort to plug into your KVM.

Keyboard + Mouse + HDMI/DP into KVM

KVM -> Laptop/Desktop + Monitor

This really depends on if you're hellbent on using the monitors USB ports...

I don't think that would do what you want, esp if you want to use your laptop with the monitor (my assumption).

I think you need to be looking at something like this.

Amazon product ASIN B08JM18GVC
You will need HDMI or DisplayPort to plug into your KVM.

Keyboard + Mouse + HDMI/DP into KVM

KVM -> Laptop/Desktop + Monitor

This really depends on if you're hellbent on using the monitors USB ports...
With the setup I'm proposing I'm think this

The monitor is plugged into the desktop via displayport and into the laptop via HDMI.

I will have to toggle/switch the monitor to either desktop or laptop as well as toggle/switch the USB B-A cord to either desktop or laptop.

Yes there are two switches instead of one but it's no biggie. You think that'll work?

The monitor is plugged into the desktop via displayport and into the laptop via HDMI.

I will have to toggle/switch the monitor to either desktop or laptop as well as toggle/switch the USB B-A cord to either desktop or laptop.

Yes there are two switches instead of one but it's no biggie. You think that'll work?

I think that's your only option really, as the HDMI/DP switches are expensive

Also I'd just be wary of the ones that have automatic switching, if you're plugged into both at the same time.

TL:DR; NFI

Good luck!!

My setup is work laptop into HDMI and my PC into display port.

I have shared keyboard and mouse through USB .

I switch between computers on my display and have a USB switch under my desk that has a button to switch keyboard and mouse between the two computers.

Not as elegant as a KVM switch but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My setup is work laptop into HDMI and my PC into display port.

I have shared keyboard and mouse through USB .

I switch between computers on my display and have a USB switch under my desk that has a button to switch keyboard and mouse between the two computers.

Not as elegant as a KVM switch but it works.

That's exactly what I'm envisioning, you mind sharing a picture of your setup? An what brand of USB switch you using?

Monitors with in built KVM

the simpsons GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather play it on my gaming rig but each to their own.

I mean I have a decent PC setup which I have been playing it on. I'm just really over my switch and how underpowered it is so Im selling it to recoup some of the costs.

Plus you can emulate switch games on it anyway........ not that Im going to do that obviously.

Ok, I've setup my dual PC with same mouse/keyboard and monitor. Next question!

Hey team, I need some help. I need a wifi booster for the house. I'm thinking of one that connects into the powerpoints. Any recommendations?

Those suck ass usually

I was looking at something similar, you really need to get a proper wifi repeater, but if you can run a cable to the repeater you'd probably be able to run a cable to the machine.

Having looked into this myself more than once, I'm pretty sure the order of preference for connecting up devices away from your main router would be
1) connect whatever you need via ethernet cable
2) connect to a a repeater (which would work best if wired to the main switch/router)
3) a wifi mesh network would be next best (again would be best with wired backhaul, but can work with wireless especially if you get a tri-band one)
4) powerline would be a distant 4th. How well it works depends a lot on what the wiring in your house is like, both in terms of age/quality and how the circuits are set up

Don't underestimate powerline adaptors. These days as an electrician and a home owner I punch holes and run ethernet wherever the hell I please, but previously powerline adaptors were my first option and besides them occasionally losing sync they were really reliable. No dramas with friends and family that I recommended them to as well. Technically they should work regardless of circuit on any modern switchboard but you do read stories of them working for some people but not others (my last house was pretty big and had quite a few power circuits with a high chance I was passing signal between them). I guess though with higher bandwidth wifi and becomming generally more reliable powerline adaptors are starting to become obsolete just by looking how little stock is carried at retailers.

Something I recommend though if anyone wants to pass ethernet from one room to another back to back (maybe your router is setup in one room and you want to pass it to the next room), get yourself a pair of the following, some blank wall plates and a tiny ethernet cable (or whatever length you need). You don't need any qualifications to install it and most wall plates come with the plaster anchors and screws.

I mean I have a decent PC setup which I have been playing it on. I'm just really over my switch and how underpowered it is so Im selling it to recoup some of the costs.

Plus you can emulate switch games on it anyway........ not that Im going to do that obviously.
I guess you can enjoy Shadowheart and Karlach in peace on the shitter…

These days as an electrician and a home owner I punch holes and run ethernet wherever the hell I please

Come to my house and do this please.

I will pay you in dick pics.

******* 6 month old monitor just died. Fantastic

I’m sure it will be covered under warranty.

What monitor and where did you buy from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back