PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What's people's usual method of clearing dust from your rig?

Compressed air can I got did SFA.

Looking at electrical blow/vac but a lot of people say stay clear due to components.

Compressed air does an OK job but I find it doesn't do much for dust that seems like it's magnetically charged and sticks to stuff. I don't like how canned air builds moisture either. It's also not the best for your health. I use the Hurricane O2 thingy from PC Case Gear. There might be an issue using them in server rooms and stuff but I've never personally had an issue. Just be careful I guess. I don't hold the air over one part for too long and usually just use it in bursts. For my filters I run them under the tap then leave them outside in the sun for half an hour or so.

Static from compressed air is definitely a real thing though because I often zap myself at work when blowing down a motor with compressed air after steam cleaning them. Usually only when I do it for too long though. However I noticed it only happens if I have the motor on a trolley with rubber/plastic wheels so I imagine it's an earthing thing. So if you want to be super careful then when blowing down your PC with air then leave it plugged in but the PSU switched off, that way it's still earthed.

licking the big lebowski GIF

Get down and dirty.

Compressed air can I got did SFA.

Looking at electrical blow/vac but a lot of people say stay clear due to components.

I’ve got one these doo hickeys. It was way cheaper when I bought it but it’s really good.
Used it to clean up a very dirty system that I turned into a server. Give my rigs a once over with it every few months. It’s awesome on keyboards too.
0a36729ff41b8257ec45bbdc37f628af.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got one these doo hickeys. It was way cheaper when I bought it but it’s really good.
Used it to clean up a very dirty system that I turned into a server. Give my rigs a once over with it every few months. It’s awesome on keyboards too.

I have this exact model, the only downside is the spare nozzle storage is *ed.

I couldn't find a quick video that wasn't a long talking head but the TLDR is 3 new cards coming:

4080 Super
4070 Ti Super
4070 Super

They're superseding the non-super varients and NVIDIA's recommended pricing is actually cheaper. So who knows if that translates into real world prices. If you're hunting for an upgrade and don't want a Super then current non-super stock is probably going to get decent discounts as the retailers try to clear them.

Yeah I have the same one, although I reckon it was under another name. The location for the spare nozzle is garbage but the unit itself works well.

I couldn't find a quick video that wasn't a long talking head but the TLDR is 3 new cards coming:

4080 Super
4070 Ti Super
4070 Super

They're superseding the non-super varients and NVIDIA's recommended pricing is actually cheaper. So who knows if that translates into real world prices. If you're hunting for an upgrade and don't want a Super then current non-super stock is probably going to get decent discounts as the retailers try to clear them.
Sounds like the 4080 Super is directly targeting the 7900XTX, which could trigger a price war too.

Sounds like the 4080 Super is directly targeting the 7900XTX, which could trigger a price war too.

You made me look up the prices and that is definitely a possibility. I think I saw the 4080 Super has an MSRP $200US less than the OG 4080 and that brings it inline with the 7900xtx.

The price cuts must have already started though because recently I looked up the 4090 and 4080 recently out of curiosity and couldn't believe the 4080 was still well over $2000 AUD regardless of brand which made me think I got a really good deal on the Strix OC when I did. Now they're around $2k and many even sub $2k. The 4080 hasn't been popular as it seems to have been priced to upsell to the 4090 so if the 4080 Super becomes a more attractive sell it might even pull back those 4090 prices a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All those new 32" 4K QD-OLEDs being shown off at CES look awesome. Looks like I might be in for a new screen this year and go full time 4K.
I got the 42" LG OLED last year, I highly, highly recommend having an OLED monitor for gaming.

I use it for work too, but am very conscious to change the screen regularly, probably overkill, but better to be safe.

However when gaming there really is no better.

All those new 32" 4K QD-OLEDs being shown off at CES look awesome. Looks like I might be in for a new screen this year and go full time 4K.

I was looking at the Alienware 32" 4k this morning and it looks super appealing... And I definitely need to upgrade my setup this year.

I haven’t kept abreast of CES this year but can’t see myself going 32” 4K, eventually would like a 34” ultrawide OLED 3440 x 1440p (probably run dual monitors with my 27” 1440p on top).

The trigger for me was getting a 32" 4K as a second monitor. I love my AW3423DW, probably the best expensive buy I've ever bought, but things feel so cramped on it now in comparison. There aren't much differences in the physical widths either. While 3440*1440 is also a sweet spot to drive for high end cards, with all the upscaling tech now then an internal 1080 res fits better and will look nicer at 4K than what any 21:9 achieves.

Hey team, quick question!
The USB ports on the back of my monitor don't work, I'm setting up the home office for desktop and work laptop. Do I need to power up the USB b port to power the mouse and keyboard? Is there a USB a - USB b dual switch thingy that can toggle between the two?
IMG20240112105209.jpg

The USB ports on the back of my monitor don't work, I'm setting up the home office for desktop and work laptop. Do I need to power up the USB b port to power the mouse and keyboard? Is there a USB a - USB b dual switch thingy that can toggle between the two?
View attachment 1885367

If the monitor doesn't have a KVM switch then you'll need that USB B as a passthrough. Of course that can only connect to one computer at a time but there are USB switching devices out there you might be able to try.

View attachment 1885367

You're USB hub is powered by the USB-B port.

This is the case for every monitor I've ever encountered. I've never gotten the passthrough to work as dwwaino has mentioned,but this was years ago.

If the monitor doesn't have a KVM switch then you'll need that USB B as a passthrough. Of course that can only connect to one computer at a time but there are USB switching devices out there you might be able to try.
It doesn't have a switch, I toggle between display port and HDMI. But I need to power that USB b port to power the USB a? Since they're not working atm

View attachment 1885367

Your USB-B needs to be connected to your PC/Laptop/KVM. It's actually the only connection between you're peripherals that are in the monitor to your PC.

Also KVM's are horrendously expensive.But there are cheaper ones, but basically the back will look something like this.

Edit: hotlinking images to scorptech is borked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back