PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t seen the revamped Clayton store since it was renovated, how was it?

Did they have the Philips Envia ultrawide OLED there? I haven’t seen one in the flesh but they look impressive from what I’ve seen (not that I can afford to drop $1K+ on a monitor and my current one is doing the job)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per my gif and dwwaino 's comment, could easily pass for a nightclub haha. It's not really a showroom any more just a couple of 32 inch Gigabytes on (don't think they had the PE UW can't confirm tho mate). Dunno why they refurbed it to the level they did when it seems like it's just a pickup and service desk now.

Went down the road to Centrecom, and they had some stuff plugged in and ironically had my current AOC 34UW next to an Odyssey G8. Def had me considering making a switch sooner rather than later. (Understandably input isn't a true reflection but wow)

With that said, I've spent a fair bit of today looking online at the G9 57inch SUW. MiniLED and not OLED. While not many cards can make use of the 240hz (and really who needs more than 140hz?) worried for gaming that my 3080ti even downscaled to 1440p might look s**t.

Wondering if I future proof now with the view to upgrading in 3 years.

I'll def be using the real estate for work during my 2 work from home days. Plus the ability to have two inputs is an attractive feature as well.

While never having kids still have a long way to go on the mortgage - even with Samsung trade in and hopeful loyalty discount - it's still 2.3k at best.

Holy s**t Samsung customer service is beyond garbage. Tried ordering a monitor and a tablet for the wife as the savings were too good to pass up.

Try to trade in one of the wife's phone which they did a security charge which they docked me twice and now it's a nightmare to get the money back. Deal period has passed and customer service have been useless.

Wish I had read more reviews about Samsung. Avoid at all costs.

Looking at upgrading my GPU from a 1660ti sometime over the next few months, but don't want to spend too much. It seems like the 3060ti is ideal, and great value for perfomance. But, a 4060 is slightly cheaper and similar output. Which of the two cards would be best?

I guess the target is to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 on Ultra settings, 60+ fps, 1080p+ or so? I'm guessing either of those would manage it?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Looking at upgrading my GPU from a 1660ti sometime over the next few months, but don't want to spend too much. It seems like the 3060ti is ideal, and great value for perfomance. But, a 4060 is slightly cheaper and similar output. Which of the two cards would be best?

I guess the target is to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 on Ultra settings, 60+ fps, 1080p+ or so? I'm guessing either of those would manage it?

Cheers.

If you can hold off those few months wait and see what the Super refresh does to pricing. They're coming out in that exact performance point.

Not sure what you mean by super refresh, haha. :$
Nvidia has a tendency to release "super" versions of their cards, which tend to perform better than the non-super versions. If you hold off for them their release may either provide better value than the current models, and/or drive the price down on the older cards.

Nvidia has a tendency to release "super" versions of their cards, which tend to perform better than the non-super versions. If you hold off for them their release may either provide better value than the current models, and/or drive the price down on the older cards.

This is true but doesn't give you that retail therapy release of endorphins.

Not sure what you mean by super refresh, haha. :$

See above, and the Super refresh is all but confirmed and expected to be announced early Jan with a release not long after. The rumours are they'll be slightly cheaper but that's based on USD and I find it hard to believe anything is launching cheaper these days. Either way the current models should see a price drop as retailers try and clear stock.

See above, and the Super refresh is all but confirmed and expected to be announced early Jan with a release not long after. The rumours are they'll be slightly cheaper but that's based on USD and I find it hard to believe anything is launching cheaper these days. Either way the current models should see a price drop as retailers try and clear stock.

I've been using that staticice website to keep track of prices and stock of the 3060ti's over the last few months, but they always seem to sell out quite quick!

I've been using that staticice website to keep track of prices and stock of the 3060ti's over the last few months, but they always seem to sell out quite quick!

The benefit of going for a 4000 series is frame generation on DLSS 3.0. Frame gen is supported on 3000 series cards with DLSS 3.5 though (which makes the already confusing nomenclature even more confusing).

Too bad you're not local. I've got an unused (but used) 3080 sitting here that I'd offer cheaper but I refuse to ship it anywhere.

The benefit of going for a 4000 series is frame generation on DLSS 3.0. Frame gen is supported on 3000 series cards with DLSS 3.5 though (which makes the already confusing nomenclature even more confusing).

Too bad you're not local. I've got an unused (but used) 3080 sitting here that I'd offer cheaper but I refuse to ship it anywhere.
Don't blame you. I wouldn't ship expensive PC parts, either. I recently joined an Australian PC parts exchange group on Facebook and noticed how guarded people were when it came to selling. Cash only etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I repeat.

And I thought I had a lot of storage with 14 drives.
Don't even add up to your used data lol.

If I can scrounge together another $400-$700 I'll buy another one.

Not working at the moment so everything is done by begging the mrs.

Holy s**t Samsung customer service is beyond garbage. Tried ordering a monitor and a tablet for the wife as the savings were too good to pass up.

Try to trade in one of the wife's phone which they did a security charge which they docked me twice and now it's a nightmare to get the money back. Deal period has passed and customer service have been useless.

Wish I had read more reviews about Samsung. Avoid at all costs.

Still pretty keen on this as after some pretty extensive research ticks all my boxes. One thing need clarity on.

I've currently got a 3080ti, and I know even with a 4090 it's not going to get max use out of the specs, but will it still look ok at 1440p at that size until I upgrade GPU?

Plan is to get the monitor (providing Samsung honor the Black Friday price - have an open case with them) was hoping to upgrade the card provided at most all I'll need to do is get a new CPU as well....maybe later next year.

Still pretty keen on this as after some pretty extensive research ticks all my boxes. One thing need clarity on.

I've currently got a 3080ti, and I know even with a 4090 it's not going to get max use out of the specs, but will it still look ok at 1440p at that size until I upgrade GPU?

Plan is to get the monitor (providing Samsung honor the Black Friday price - have an open case with them) was hoping to upgrade the card provided at most all I'll need to do is get a new CPU as well....maybe later next year.

Any 1440p resolution might look off because that monitor is 7680*2160 which is two 4K monitors and 1440 goes into 2160 1.5 times. It's also the equivalent of four 1080p monitors. This could still work because with upscaling technology in supported games you can get an internal resolution of 1080 and have it neatly upscale to 4K.

If you want an ultrawide that's the equivalent of a multi monitor setup so bigger than 21:9 3440*1440 then something like the other G9 (49" I think?) at 32:9 which is exactly two 2560*1440 monitors.

Not sure about that exact G9 you've linked but I know the other one has multiple inputs so you can hook it up like standard multi displays.

I love my QD-OLED ultrawide but after owning the Neo Odyssey G7 I think I'm a 4K convert. The extra real estate is crazy and for productivity I think you'll appreciate the 2160p more than anything with 1440p. Unreal Engine feels so claustrophobic on my ultrawide now so I do all my productive stuff on the 4K.

Any 1440p resolution might look off because that monitor is 7680*2160 which is two 4K monitors and 1440 goes into 2160 1.5 times. It's also the equivalent of four 1080p monitors. This could still work because with upscaling technology in supported games you can get an internal resolution of 1080 and have it neatly upscale to 4K.

If you want an ultrawide that's the equivalent of a multi monitor setup so bigger than 21:9 3440*1440 then something like the other G9 (49" I think?) at 32:9 which is exactly two 2560*1440 monitors.

Not sure about that exact G9 you've linked but I know the other one has multiple inputs so you can hook it up like standard multi displays.

I love my QD-OLED ultrawide but after owning the Neo Odyssey G7 I think I'm a 4K convert. The extra real estate is crazy and for productivity I think you'll appreciate the 2160p more than anything with 1440p. Unreal Engine feels so claustrophobic on my ultrawide now so I do all my productive stuff on the 4K.

Cheers mate.

From what I've read the 57" def allows multiple inputs at the same time (Picture by Picture) but the 49" only allows an input on one display, but inbuilt app on the other.

G7 is 42" isn't it?

Confused about QD-QLED isn't it mini led as well? (I'm clueless lol)

Cheers mate.

From what I've read the 57" def allows multiple inputs at the same time (Picture by Picture) but the 49" only allows an input on one display, but inbuilt app on the other.

G7 is 42" isn't it?

Confused about QD-QLED isn't it mini led as well? (I'm clueless lol)

The G7 comes in 34" (that's the one I have) and I think 42" (they're both VA though), but there is a G9 as well that's I think 49" that has a vertical count of 1440p. Samsung's OLED technology is QD-OLED. QD for Quantum Dot. As an owner of both a QD-OLED and an LG OLED TV (C1) I prefer Samsung's QD-OLED as it gets brighter than LG's.

Pulled the trigger today, 57" G9 now cheaper than the Black Friday price with another sale. Add in 10% off via the app, plus $ for recycling monitor.

Not coming till Feb (if I'm lucky) now.

I'm running with a RTX 2080 and since I mostly game on PC these days... could people tell me how long I should be able to keep this card and get good performance?

Fairly novice on PC stuff, but I love how much cheaper the games are.

How long is a piece of string? According to the latest Steam survey the top three graphics cards (by number of users) is the 3060 followed by 1650 and 1060. In raw performance your 2080 leads all of these cards (though the 3060 would have some newer NVIDIA features) so if it's still serving you fine then there is no reason to upgrade. The sure time to upgrade is when it's no longer running the types of games you want to play as well as you would like.

how long I should be able to keep this card and get good performance?
It depends on the game and resolution.

If you’re happily playing games at 1080p and aren’t looking at modern GPU intensive games you should get a few more years use.

Managed to upgrade to a 1440p monitor for $229 (RRP $499) buying an open box, which was just a monitor with a damaged box that they moved to box from another product. Mate is buying my now spare 1080p 27 inch for $100 so happy with the upgrade for just over a hundred bucks.

What's people's usual method of clearing dust from your rig?

Compressed air can I got did SFA.

Looking at electrical blow/vac but a lot of people say stay clear due to components.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back