Past player - Cale Morton (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's highly unlikely, IMO.

If he came in, it should be as a defender but Schofield, Smith and Brennan are all out of the side and well ahead of him.

Morton's best chance to get a senior berth this season will be very late in the year when half the squad is already in surgery to be ready for 2014.

Nearly there after the hawks game :eek:

Morton in the mix?

I actually think if he didn't miss those 2 games with a hamstring and collected 20 odd touches in each, he would have been a chance to play or get named as an emergency for Round 14.

WEST COAST
There could be at least three spots available in the Eagles' line-up this week with Shannon Hurn and Scott Selwood ruled out for extended periods. Andrew Embley will also miss a week for his assault on Ben Stratton. Will Schofield could be the replacement for Hurn after two matches in the WAFL returning from a compound dislocation of his finger in round eight. Mark Hutchings had 21 touches for West Perth and was mentioned by John Worsfold as a replacement for Selwood. Brad Sheppard had 16 disposals in the WAFL and was also flagged by the coach as a possible inclusion while Melbourne recruit Cale Morton could be another in the mix. The former Demon had 23 disposals for East Perth after a hamstring injury had hampered his progress to date. - Alex Macolm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-25/afls-in-the-mix-round-14

I had the pleasure of watching Cale play this weekend and thought I'd put up some dot points.

- He's a bit of a general in defence and he's decisive about when to leave his man to help out and when to stay. He seems to know what he's doing, which is a good sign.

- He took a mark with the flight in defence which, while not being Waters brave, was okay.

- His kicking can be class. Once he switched to the inside with a crisp kick and a goal resulted, however, it's not always like that. Another time he had a shot from 50 at a 45 degree angle and kicked out on the full.

- My personal Morton highlight for the game was him winning a 2 on 1 contest in the middle of the ground, running off and kicking long inside 50 to Lycett. It wasn't as smooth as it sounds but it was still pretty good.

- My Morton lowlight was him sneaking off inside forward 50. When the ball was finally kicked to him he didn't put much effort into taking a mark over a smaller player. Hopefully he would've tried harder had they not been so far in front.

- I missed most of the 4th quarter and his goal :(

Overall, Morton had 17 disposals (10k, 7hb), 3 marks, 2 tackles and a goal. 17 touches is Morton's 4th lowest for the year but it wasn't a game where much was asked of him.

Oddly enough, East Perth aren't scheduled to play again until the 20th of July, which gives Morton 3 weeks of no games.

With our most important match of the season coming up, it's not surprise to see Cale has been promoted onto the emergency list.

In all seriousness though, it's good to see that Cale is somewhere near getting an AFL game, even if the East Perth bye helped him a bit in this case.

East Perth have another week off, so Morton has been named on the extended interchange for the Eagles. Once again, it's most likely that he'll end up an emergency.

If he does, it will be the 2nd time this season he's been an emergency.

So, evidentially my last post was wrong and Morton has made the cut to play the Fremantle Dockers this weekend.

His Eagles debut will make him the 212th player to play for our club.

Chances are he'll start as the sub and come in late in the game. I'm not sure that's the best thing with Cale but it's better than not getting a game. I also don't think he's being done many favours getting his first game against the tight Dockers...

Hopefully this is a sign of Morton working his way into good graces with the Eagles, rather than him being given a chance, to work out whether he should be on the list in 2014.

1orpmt.png

Thanks to lmach for, umm, taking the photo.

The debut article about Cale.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/17983351/hell-of-a-debut-for-eagle/

"It was a joint call to switch Cale back to half-back and since he has done that he has really blossomed in his football," Winnett said.
"Every week he is starting to show signs of someone who has played a lot of AFL football. He has been really consistent for us, probably throughout the last six or seven weeks.
"His kicking skills are almost elite and he has given us really good rebound from the back line."
In May, Morton spoke about trying to improve the defensive side of his game, and Winnett said he had achieved that.
"That was probably an area in the first couple of weeks that he really needed to work on and obviously he would have acknowledged that," Winnett said.
"Since he was shifted to half-back and had to be accountable for an opponent, he has worked really hard on his chasing, tackling and defensive pressure, and he has been a real integral part of our back six."
Winnett believed Morton could fill a variety of roles tomorrow.
"He has played 73 AFL games so he has got a lot of experience in a lot of big games over in Melbourne," he said.
"He is actually quite quick and he is really tall and rangy, so he is a tough player to play on and he does read the play very well.
"He could play as the sub or he could slot into the starting 18 and play half-back or wing and really give them an impact."

Came on as the sub at 3QT for Rosa. Had the first centre clearance...then received a free kick and had another kick. That was it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sub seems an odd spot for him to be honest. He doesn't really make a big impact in a short period of time, he's an accumulator.

We're no better in recent times (have seen both Watts and Trengove as subs... ffs).

Anyway, I hope Cale can become a contributor. He wasn't going to get any better with us anyway, but its a shame when a kid who was rated that highly doesn't come on - would love to see him at least salvage a career but I imagine he's only got this season on your list?

Morton made his Eagles AFL debut yesterday against the Dockers. He started as the substitute and came on late in the 3rd quarter for Rosa.

Cale managed to collect 2 kicks, one which came from a free kick. He received 28% TOG.

The Good:
Cale seems to know his weaknesses and seems intent on addressing them. The first chance he got he went in hard to get a loose ball but couldn't break free from the pack. It would have been nice if he did this more than once but there wasn't a lot of opportunity for him to do so.

He also spent some time following Fyfe around which is a decent role for him. He did some tagging in Melbourne and he held Fyfe for the period he was on him. I'm actually quite confident that Cale could be a player to follow bigger, rangy midfeilders, if we need it.

Morton also got on his bike at one stage, ran from defence to half forward, had the ball kicked to him and earned a free kick. His kick inside 50 resulted in a goal. It was nice to see him go for a long run and recognise the opportunity but, on the other hand, he was probably the least tired guy on the field at the time.

The Bad:
2 possessions as a substitute isn't enough. It's as simple as that.

Yes, he's absolutely not suited to playing a side like the Dockers and he's not really suited to the substitute role but you have to do what you're asked and Morton's numbers weren't good enough.

The Ugly:
As mentioned, he started as the substitute, which isn't his go. He also got thrown around a little bit more than he would've expected, given that these days he hardly moves from half back in the WAFL.

I saw him play on the wing, on ball against Fyfe and in the back line.

In short, I don't think he was done any favours but he also can't expect to only play well the conditions are perfect for him.

Grade: D-

Predicted selection outcome: Dropped.

When he ran on as the sub, Morton became the 213th West Coast Eagle and the second member of his family to play in the blue and gold.

He was the first former Demon to make an Eagles appearance since 2006 premiership player Steve Armstrong.

Also the first player since Troy Wilson way back in 2003 to wear the #40, and just the sixth overall. Since Wilson departed Mick Embley, Llane Spaanderman, Will Sullivan and Anton Hamp have all been allocated the 40 but none managed a senior game.

So, after being named on the extended interchange for round 17, Morton missed the cut and was omitted. He didn't play WAFL on Saturday though, and now is one of 2 late ins to the selected side.

He'll start as the sub again, in his 2nd game for the Eagles.

Morton will pass players like Weedon, Neates, and Paul Johnson on the all time Eagles games list today.

I think a realistic goal for Cale today would be to improve his disposal count from last week while displaying good intensity.

Make me proud, Cale.

So, after being named on the extended interchange for round 17, Morton missed the cut and was omitted. He didn't play WAFL on Saturday though, and now is one of 2 late ins to the selected side.

He'll start as the sub again, in his 2nd game for the Eagles.

Morton will pass players like Weedon, Neates, and Paul Johnson on the all time Eagles games list today.

I think a realistic goal for Cale today would be to improve his disposal count from last week while displaying good intensity.

Make me proud, Cale.

Looking forward to seeing how he plays today!

Cale played his 2nd game for West Coast yesterday and I think it's fair to say he surpassed most expectations.

He came on as the substitute for Luke Shuey at half time, and collected 16 disposals, playing as the loose man in defence.

He kicked 1.2 and recieved 44% TOG.

The Good:
Besides dropping into the hole, loose man in defence is the easiest gig on the footy field, so you need to do quite a bit to justify playing it. Thankfully, Morton managed to make an impact.

Perhaps the biggest positive of Cale's game was that he just found so much of the football. To put it into perspective - he got the 2nd least TOG but finished with the 10th most possessions for West Coast. If he was given as much game time as Ash Smith, he was trending to finish with 30 disposals. It's nice to see he hasn't lost his elite ball finding ability.

Even more impressive then finding the ball, however, was the fact that Cale often dropped in front of Sydney's big forwards and affected the marking contest. Okay, this isn't anywhere near a strength of his. He basically just hopes to * the Sydney forward enough to not mark, rather than spoiling or anything like that, but, he did show bravery which not many thought he had.

Finally, 3 shots on goal is excellent from the back line. The accuracy wasn't there but he's got the boot to have a shot from outside 50 and I think that's quite rare for West Coast at the moment.

The Bad:
Kicking 2 behinds isn't ideal.

Also, as mentioned, Cale's not really a pro at standing in front of tall forwards. He looks awkward as hell doing it but at least he gave it a shot.

The Ugly:
When Cale first came on he didn't look too confident. It seems to me that he decided to just win the ball when he had to and then dish it off to the easiest option, so he couldn't be found out making a mistake. As a result his first few possessions where handballs backwards to players who can't kick as well as he can.

This reached it's zenith when at one stage, Morton collected the ball in defence and looked forward but, naturally, decided not to kick it. He then turned around and looked towards his goals but found everyone was covered, so he had to turn around again and kick it forward himself.

It ended up looking as though he collected the ball, did a 360 degree turn on the spot before running off.

I presume the word came out from the coaches box or from a senior player to back himself, because we saw less of this later.

Grade: B

Predicted selection outcome: Selected in first 21, on bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back