Past player - Cale Morton (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hams kicked 6 goals on the weekend in South's demolition job of Peel, while Dick showed a bit for East Freo. Its going to be a hard call for the MC to delist any one of the three considering our current needs.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2013-08-19/standing-tall

I just struggle to see sometimes how Cale is supposed to fight himself into the line-up with any more impressive performances than he is pumping out. I didnt see the game, but when Hams and Dick are getting more publicity than him it certainly makes it hard for him to break or curry favour with the MC. Rosa is due to come in with a performance like that and the only thing that I see is going to keep Hams out is his striking charge.

Morton in the mix:

WEST COAST
Chris Masten was a late withdrawal last weekend with thigh tightness and should return this Friday night against Collingwood. There are several players who have put their hand up at the right time given the nature of last weekend's loss to Geelong. Cale Morton had 32 touches and two goals for East Perth in his best game for the season. Matt Rosa and Adam Selwood gathered 34 and 27 disposals respectively in the same game. Brad Dick kicked four goals and Jacob Brennan had 24 disposals for East Fremantle. All would seriously be considered this week. - Alex Malcolm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-20/afls-in-the-mix-round-22

Morton not in the mix:

Cale obviously wasn't selected for West Coasts game against Collingwood, instead he is named on the wing for East Perth.

The Royals are playing South Fremantle who find themselves is pretty decent form, winning 3 of their last 4.

Hams is out suspended for the Bulldogs, which means we wont get to see who has more influence on this game between him and Morton. For East Perth, things are made harder by the loss of Rosa and Wilson.

Still, the Royals will start favourite and Morton should be able to do quite well.

Cale backed up probably his best WAFL game in round 22, with one of his worst last weekend.

He collected 15 disposals (11k, 4hb), took 5 marks and laid a solid 3 tackles.

Reports suggest that Cale wasn't really pulling his weight in this game and the Eagles website wrote that he struggled to get into the match.

A part of me thinks that Cale may have realised his fate after not being selected for the game against Collingwood and has lifted his arms.

Cale backed up probably his best WAFL game in round 22, with one of his worst last weekend.

He collected 15 disposals (11k, 4hb), took 5 marks and laid a solid 3 tackles.

Reports suggest that Cale wasn't really pulling his weight in this game and the Eagles website wrote that he struggled to get into the match.

A part of me thinks that Cale may have realised his fate after not being selected for the game against Collingwood and has lifted his arms.
I hope not! He can perform a role for us next year with Embley retiring. I wouldnt be put out if Rosa was thrown out there for trade bait!

So, it looks like Morton is back to his statistically pleasing games.

Yesterday, he found the ball 30 times for 19 kicks and 11 handballs. He took 7 marks and laid 2 tackles.

Since round 20 in the WAFL, Cale has played 4 statistically strong games out of 5.

In fact, over that period, he's averaging 23 disposals, 7.2 marks and 1.6 goals per game.

Take out his game last week and his averages shoots up to 25d, 7.8m and 2g per game.

In further good news for Morton, his chance of staying on the list for 2014 have greatly increased with the retirement of Hams and Dick. Since West Coast have now made 5 changes to the list (before making a decision of Newman), you would think Morton is likely to stay.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if Cale found himself delisted on the back of a huge clean out.

Still, with East Perth making the WAFL finals, Cale will have at least one more game to impress the Eagles coaches. Good luck, Cale.

I managed to catch Morton's game on the weekend and I must say, while it was statistically pretty strong, I don't think he had much of an influence on the result.

Cale touched the ball 26 times (15k, 11hb), which made him the 4th highest possession winner in the match but basically all his touches lacked hurt factor. There were a few imperfect kicks, especially early, which didn't reach their targets inside 50 and there were a few give and go handballs which achieved very little.

A couple of times when Morton found himself in the middle of a contest, good things happened but I felt as though that was more of a fluke than genuine ability.

He spent most of the game on the wing but in the late stages was moved to half back.

I managed to catch Morton's game on the weekend and I must say, while it was statistically pretty strong, I don't think he had much of an influence on the result.

Cale touched the ball 26 times (15k, 11hb), which made him the 4th highest possession winner in the match but basically all his touches lacked hurt factor. There were a few imperfect kicks, especially early, which didn't reach their targets inside 50 and there were a few give and go handballs which achieved very little.

A couple of times when Morton found himself in the middle of a contest, good things happened but I felt as though that was more of a fluke than genuine ability.

He spent most of the game on the wing but in the late stages was moved to half back.

Is he still worth persisting with on the rookie list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Cale against Claremont today and I must say, compared to last week, he did more with less.

A week ago he had 26 possessions and almost no influence and today he had 16 touches (which is quite low for Cale these days) but he made them count.

It's fair to say he was pretty well held early, as he had about 2 touches at quarter time, but later on in the game he found the odd possession and made almost all of them count.

I recall a handball to Cripps for a goal, a 2 bounce run along the wing with a long kick inside 50 and a few other smart, penetrating kicks.

Even more impressive was the fact that he stuck 4 tackles - an equal season high - and that he threw his weight around a bit, including getting involved in a wrestle.

Ideally, Cale would find the ball 26 times and make them all hurt but, hey, he's still a work in progress.

I have to agree I liked his game yesterday. He was attacking and set up a number of goals. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

"I think West Coast got an absolute steal in Morton. Has got back to what he does best at East Perth, run and carry, then hit lace out.

Heard that he was told he'd spend a year in the WAFL to prove himself with a view to planting him in the side to follow on from Embley, on the basis he has earned that right.

He was BOG against Claremont in the preliminary and by some margin.

One of the rare wins West Coast have had of late."

- From the DT Board

I reckon he's coming along. I watched the Swans v Royals Semi a couple of weeks ago and he looked okay; went missing a few times in the match with nothing disposals but overall has come a long way from the infamous 'coach killer' vid that everyone loves to wheel out. He looks to be doing well in the Royals and could really come on strong with another pre-season and a new coaching team at the helm.

We could be laughing next year if we get a regular 22 player considering we only paid for him with pick 88. He's got skills - he just suffered from poor player development as a rookie at the Demons (mind you he wasnt the only one).

I reckon he's coming along. I watched the Swans v Royals Semi a couple of weeks ago and he looked okay; went missing a few times in the match with nothing disposals but overall has come a long way from the infamous 'coach killer' vid that everyone loves to wheel out. He looks to be doing well in the Royals and could really come on strong with another pre-season and a new coaching team at the helm.

We could be laughing next year if we get a regular 22 player considering we only paid for him with pick 88. He's got skills - he just suffered from poor player development as a rookie at the Demons (mind you he wasnt the only one).

Yeah still has a way to go. He's got the skills just needs aggression and a higher intensity.

Yeah still has a way to go. He's got the skills just needs aggression and a higher intensity.
Agreee totally. I think he showed some agression in his three games this year, just needs a fire lit under him from a good coaching staff to get a bit of mongrel into him. He'd be great on the outside and running on the wings at subi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back