Past player - Cale Morton (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Morton Faces Possible Leather Poisoning

Cale collected 16 kicks, 7 handballs and 7 marks in a brave attempt to lead his Eagles team mates, Matt Rosa and Sharrod Wellingham, to a WAFL victory.

Sadly, despite the pairs big reputations', the stat chasing duo where unable to meet the standard set by Cale, who played perhaps his best game for the year, and East Perth fell by a staggering 51 points.

23 disposals marks a season high for Morton, as does 7 marks.

Cale's season averages now move to - 11.3K, 5.3HB, 16.7D, 2.3M, 1.5T, 0.1G

Morton Playing "Surprisingly Well"

From an Eagles perspective, the buzz out of the East Perth game on the weekend wasn't that Matt Rosa and Adam Selwood played but rather that Cale Morton isn't actually as crap as we believed.

Equalling his season high of last week, Cale collected 23 disposals (13k, 10bh), while dragging in 4 marks and laying 2 tackles.

There was mention that he shanked a few of his kicks but most are willing to bet that he's better than most in the senior team at the moment.

The West reported that he played off half back rather than the midfield.

Morton now averages 17.5 disposals and 3.8 marks per game but more importantly, he's put together 3 good games in a row.

Morton Playing "Surprisingly Well"

From an Eagles perspective, the buzz out of the East Perth game on the weekend wasn't that Matt Rosa and Adam Selwood played but rather that Cale Morton isn't actually as crap as we believed.

Equalling his season high of last week, Cale collected 23 disposals (13k, 10bh), while dragging in 4 marks and laying 2 tackles.

There was mention that he shanked a few of his kicks but most are willing to bet that he's better than most in the senior team at the moment.

The West reported that he played off half back rather than the midfield.

Morton now averages 17.5 disposals and 3.8 marks per game but more importantly, he's put together 3 good games in a row.

2 tackles, you guys have made him into a physical beast! Can't wait to see what comes of Bennell (who actually has some talent). I'm not here to sledge just wanted to check in one some of my old least favourites.

PS Morton off half back and fix he's disposal and even though he'll still lack heart he could actually play IMO (as depth).

2 tackles, you guys have made him into a physical beast! Can't wait to see what comes of Bennell (who actually has some talent). I'm not here to sledge just wanted to check in one some of my old least favourites.

PS Morton off half back and fix he's disposal and even though he'll still lack heart he could actually play IMO (as depth).

He was actually backing into packs and marking contests and his physical game was better on the weekend. It wont be long and we'll see him in the team and then the DEE's will see what could have been. Give him 12 months at a decent AFL club and then judge me thinks!

Morton's Star Continues to Rise

Everyone's favourite new recruit has continued his good WAFL form. Today he collected 21 disposals, 8 marks and 3 tackles.

He recorded season highs in kicks (17) and marks (8).

In further good news:
Morton played his best game so far - given BOG by the guys on the radio.

Over his last 3 games Morton is averaging 22.3 disposals, 6.3 marks and 1.7 tackles per game.

Morton's season averages are now:
18 Disposals, 12k, 6hb, 3.8 marks, 1.6 tackles.

Post on Morton by a knowledgeable poster:

....Morton has been put in defence, to half back, the past few games I've seen. The old, take the horse to water and see if it drinks. Well, his last 2 games, suggest he might be starting to drink. Very good overhead, is putting his head over it in packs now. Probably not running enough, or opening up games enough would be my nit picky comments.

His last 2 games have been his best, by far and I think royalsfan or ROYAL EAGLE would agree with this but give you more insight. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morton collected 19 disposals (13k, 6hb) and 8 marks on the weekend.

FWIW, he's showing a decent level of consistency, with 7 of his 9 games resulting in 18 -23 possessions.

The next challenge for Mortein will be taking a step and strongly influencing a game with a lot of possession...

Unfortunately, East Perth are playing West Perth next Monday, so it'll be a tough game for Morton and the rest of the Royals. The last time the 2 teams met, in round 1 of this season, East Perth lost by 75 points and Morton only had 13 disposals. He was playing further up the ground at the time but it'll be interesting to see if Morton can improve on that output anyway.

Morton drops a sneak dis!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-27/cale-morton

WEST Coast's Cale Morton has highlighted the differences in training standards between his former club Melbourne and the Eagles, saying his eyes have been opened as to how hard the AFL's top clubs work.

Although Morton takes full responsibility for his own poor form that saw him traded at the end of 2012, he wasn't aware of the gap between his former club and the best teams until he moved to the Eagles.
"The training standards are a lot higher over here," Morton said.

Must admit I'm very impressed with the young man and hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

Just a quick Morton update because so many people have been PMing me to stay on top of this thread.

Morton got injured 2 weeks ago playing WAFL for the Royals against the Falcons. It was around quarter time that he hurt his hamstring. At the time he had 7 disposals and 4 marks.

The following week he wouldn't have played anyway as the Royals had a bye.

Yesterday, Morton missed his first WAFL game of the season, against the Demons.

According to the West Coast injury list he should be good to go against East Fremantle this weekend.

As always, it should be interesting to see how he bounced back from injury. Sadly, he doesn't strike me as the kind to just shrug it off but he's surprised me before. It's also sad that this injury has interrupted a pretty decent patch of form from Morton but I think after a while he'll recapture it.

images

Best WAFL Player? Cale Morton

According to the official Eagles website, Cale was the best Eagles player to play in round 14 of the WAFL. See Below:

Cale Morton probably produced the performance of the round from West Coast-listed players, with 23 possessions and six marks playing across half-back.

Indeed, the master did collect an equal season high with those 23 disposals and his 11 handballs were a WAFL career high.

More than this, however, Morton is showing good signs by coming back from a hamstring injury and not allowing it slow him down. I imagine a few of us thought Cale might use the injury as an excuse to have a lazy game but this wasn't so.

Morton is also playing ultra consistent football this season and he looks to be an important member of a pretty impressive East Perth team. Only 3 times this season Morton hasn't collected between 18 and 23 disposals, which I find impressive.

Next week The Royals will be playing the lowly, Fremantle aligned, Peel Thunder. Expect Morton to get less touches as East Perth implement an AFL like press which will see the ball stay away from Morton in the back half.

This season Morton has gathered 19 disposals in both the two games he's played against Peel.

I'm curious to whether he's a chance at all to play seniors next week?

It's highly unlikely, IMO.

If he came in, it should be as a defender but Schofield, Smith and Brennan are all out of the side and well ahead of him.

Morton's best chance to get a senior berth this season will be very late in the year when half the squad is already in surgery to be ready for 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back