Ovens and King Football League 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep Tarra by 10 goals + but I reckon Bright will get a bit closer than 4 goals. I still reckon Bright have the best onballers in the comp when Bond , Mc Donagh and Love are all playing but they don't seem to be able to play to many games together. Only seen Godsmark the once against Tarra and he was Bonnie Doon's best that day so hopefully Bright have their full onball brigade, could be worth watching.
I must add I haven't seen Glenrowan's midfield.

Last edited:
Finals fixture is done. Whorouly v Tarrawingee Saturday at Tara = Big win for Tara.
Bright v Bonnie Doon Sunday at Milawa = ? Any thoughts.
I have watched both and Bright have them for speed but turn it over to much for my liking. Bonnie Doon have been more consistent all year so maybe they win.
Tarra on home soil - what's with that!!!

Finals Series any thoughts on this week ...I'll put the whole finals series out there
Quality post -

This week

Tarra Vs Whorouly...Tarra by 67 points Tarra different class
Bonnie Doon Vs Bright Bonnie Doon by 21 points Just think Godsmark will get them across the line and Bonnie Doon got them during the year

Following week

Glenrowan Vs Milawa Glenrowan by 29 points Been the best all year but Milawa still will have a crack ..Milawa slipped on last year Glenrowan improved .
Tarra Vs Bonnie Doon Tarra by 31 points Tarra just too good but Bonnie Doon will serve it up to them ..more than what anyone expects

Preliminary

Tarra Vs Milawa ...Milawa by 9 points ... Will be closer than expected... Always great clashes but Milawa just a bit more even all over field

Grand Final

Glenrowan Vs Milawa Glenrowan by 47 points . Milawa will be up against it after tough preliminary

Anyone think differently ???????

Just having a look at the ladder and see that All Blacks and Goorambat and Dist finished third last and second last respectivly. Another master stroke by John O'Donohue rationalising the Benalla and district clubs to make them more competitive. What will he conduct a review on next so he can stuff something else up.

Tarra comfortably over whorouly 35 points

Bright v Bonnie doon is a hard one to pick, doon have lost both their ruckmen to injury in the last few weeks and looked a couple short of their best on Saturday so I expect bright to beat them in a close one.

Just having a look at the ladder and see that All Blacks and Goorambat and Dist finished third last and second last respectivly. Another master stroke by John O'Donohue rationalising the Benalla and district clubs to make them more competitive. What will he conduct a review on next so he can stuff something else up.
Yep

Thirds comp as we know struggling. Was at 'showcase' games for o and k thirds in wang and didn't see too many u16 kids keenly spectating. (Which as far as I knew was the purpose)
We also know that wdjfl won't change.
Controversial idea, (and a tough call for regional wang based clubs). Remove o and k thirds, and have an u17 or u18 league in the wdjfl. Maybe each club can enter a team,( eg instead of greta could be just The Blues.) a lot more kids from wang are likely to continue playing football the extra year or two. If clubs do the work to look after these kids, they may be rewarded by them preferring to head out to their clubs the next year. They could also hold a 'showcase' game once or twice a year each on which the thirds play on a Saturday with seniors. Wouldn't affect bright too much as they have junior sides on Sunday anyway. Same with benalla.
The way I see it, the comp will most likely not improve from here and the wdjfl will not budge. Sometimes you need to realise when you are defeated and move another way. Remember, it's more/all about the kids, not the clubs.

Did everyone hear the 'Samaria Suns' were knocked back by the picola league? (Who are supposedly looking for expansion teams). While they may have made some wrong decisions themselves along the way, the way they have been treated the whole way along is disgraceful. You can't tell me logic wasn't to allow those two to merge on their own in the o and k. (Which they conceded to doing on the eleventh hour) Goorambat then allowed time to adjust with one less club in the area. How could you expect someone from tatong to drive past benalla (past two football sides) to play for or support a goorambat side? No doubt something had to give, but they got it completely wrong. Goorambat, great club, but have gained nothing off tatong and swan pool not fielding sides. (Either has all blacks which is interesting) good luck Samaria Suns, you definitely didn't deserve what's happened to you.

Hey Brock 26 what are the injuries slim is on about at Bright? I see Love wasn't named on the weekend injured?
Bright doesn't have much depth from what I have seen this year so any major outs could be the difference.

Hey Brock 26 what are the injuries slim is on about at Bright? I see Love wasn't named on the weekend injured?
Bright doesn't have much depth from what I have seen this year so any major outs could be the difference.

Love was rested for general soreness as far as I know. As with a handful of others. Only one injury that I know of. Young ruckman Tom Mcdonagh looked like he rolled his ankle with about 10 seconds to go against benalla. Was carried off by team mates. Didn't look too good.

After reading today's paper I see Nathan Waite has been appointed as senior coach for 2015. Will be interesting to see who he can lure and how he goes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did everyone hear the 'Samaria Suns' were knocked back by the picola league? (Who are supposedly looking for expansion teams). While they may have made some wrong decisions themselves along the way, the way they have been treated the whole way along is disgraceful. You can't tell me logic wasn't to allow those two to merge on their own in the o and k. (Which they conceded to doing on the eleventh hour) Goorambat then allowed time to adjust with one less club in the area. How could you expect someone from tatong to drive past benalla (past two football sides) to play for or support a goorambat side? No doubt something had to give, but they got it completely wrong. Goorambat, great club, but have gained nothing off tatong and swan pool not fielding sides. (Either has all blacks which is interesting) good luck Samaria Suns, you definitely didn't deserve what's happened to you.

You are correct the way the whole situation ws handled was discraceful, underhanded and contravened thier own constitution. Unfortunately common sense didn't prevail. The league and O'Donohue had an agenda to reduce the O&K to a 12 team league in 2015 before they even began the review and then just fabricated the information to try and justiify it. If they had of allowed to Tatong Swanpool merger to go ahead i am sure they would have been more competitive that All Blacks and Goorambat were this year. There is obviously reasons these two clubs didn't benefit from Tatong and Swanpool being forced into recess.
Unfortunately the league and O'Donohue are not answerable to anyone, so we will continue to this sort of conduct.

Thirds comp as we know struggling. Was at 'showcase' games for o and k thirds in wang and didn't see too many u16 kids keenly spectating. (Which as far as I knew was the purpose)
We also know that wdjfl won't change.
Controversial idea, (and a tough call for regional wang based clubs). Remove o and k thirds, and have an u17 or u18 league in the wdjfl. Maybe each club can enter a team,( eg instead of greta could be just The Blues.) a lot more kids from wang are likely to continue playing football the extra year or two. If clubs do the work to look after these kids, they may be rewarded by them preferring to head out to their clubs the next year. They could also hold a 'showcase' game once or twice a year each on which the thirds play on a Saturday with seniors. Wouldn't affect bright too much as they have junior sides on Sunday anyway. Same with benalla.
The way I see it, the comp will most likely not improve from here and the wdjfl will not budge. Sometimes you need to realise when you are defeated and move another way. Remember, it's more/all about the kids, not the clubs.

Maybe the WDJFL can be made change - by AFL vic? John?
No O&K 3rds as said. Go to u17 Wdjfl and these clubs play a majority of games as the O&K 3rds. Still a few Wang games. Train mostly in Wang.
Two benalla teams can represent Blacks and Bats , Mansfield can represent B-Doon. Tigers Glenrowan etc.( these clubs get under age teams for first time in years ) Even Bright alpine might work well with Myrtleford U18 , Bright U17
!8 y.o quite capable of playing 1's and 2's. Do in other regional leagues. Might brighten up the 2's comp also. Less old fat blokes.
Free entry for parents - would not be there anyway , plus will bye pie / coffee etc. Maybe even League supplied bus/ clubs / sponsors ( pay players a bit less! ).

Maybe the WDJFL can be made change - by AFL vic? John?
No O&K 3rds as said. Go to u17 Wdjfl and these clubs play a majority of games as the O&K 3rds. Still a few Wang games. Train mostly in Wang.
Two benalla teams can represent Blacks and Bats , Mansfield can represent B-Doon. Tigers Glenrowan etc.( these clubs get under age teams for first time in years ) Even Bright alpine might work well with Myrtleford U18 , Bright U17
!8 y.o quite capable of playing 1's and 2's. Do in other regional leagues. Might brighten up the 2's comp also. Less old fat blokes.
Free entry for parents - would not be there anyway , plus will bye pie / coffee etc. Maybe even League supplied bus/ clubs / sponsors ( pay players a bit less! ).

The problem is none of the parents want to travel out of wang, and most are from wang. The o and k needs to compromise because the junior league won't. You are right about using player payment money to fund those sort of initiatives. Money better spent on the future!

Tarra on home soil - what's with that!!!
What's wrong with that? There have been finals at Tarra for a long time and now clubs are kicking up a fuss? They need to get over it.
McMasters from Whorouly was in the Chronicle tonight having a big sook. Does he think they will swap finals just for him? He also says that catering has nothing to do with it - maybe he needs to get his facts right. Clubs who are catering need to know in advance where they are catering and on which date because they need to get a liquor licence stating the venue & date. The league could have swapped Tarra v Whorouly to the Sunday but that is then putting Tarra (who finished 3rd) at a disadvantage. Maybe Whorouly needed to finish higher up!

What's wrong with that? There have been finals at Tarra for a long time and now clubs are kicking up a fuss? They need to get over it.
McMasters from Whorouly was in the Chronicle tonight having a big sook. Does he think they will swap finals just for him? He also says that catering has nothing to do with it - maybe he needs to get his facts right. Clubs who are catering need to know in advance where they are catering and on which date because they need to get a liquor licence stating the venue & date. The league could have swapped Tarra v Whorouly to the Sunday but that is then putting Tarra (who finished 3rd) at a disadvantage. Maybe Whorouly needed to finish higher up!
Best you have another read of the article, the way I read it was the league said the catering had no impact on venue selection! And the liquor license excuse carrys no weight, it takes a single phone call to amend a date and venue.

Best you have another read of the article, the way I read it was the league said the catering had no impact on venue selection! And the liquor license excuse carrys no weight, it takes a single phone call to amend a date and venue.

Iam sure you have never applied for a liquor licence it can take up to four weeks to get a licence
you carn't ammend a licence over the phone
Mcmasters is a goose looking for an early reason if they loose this weekend as he normal reason they have half there best players injured Not like this its the first time its happen Are they going to change the venue every time to suit him no other club complains The League has never change a venue before cause it someone home ground. Whorouly had 4 less wins then Tarra yet if tarra loses they go straight out of the finals

Iam sure you have never applied for a liquor licence it can take up to four weeks to get a licence
you carn't ammend a licence over the phone
Mcmasters is a goose looking for an early reason if they loose this weekend as he normal reason they have half there best players injured Not like this its the first time its happen Are they going to change the venue every time to suit him no other club complains The League has never change a venue before cause it someone home ground. Whorouly had 4 less wins then Tarra yet if tarra loses they go straight out of the finals
When was the last time someone played a final on their home ground Ratpack?

When was the last time someone played a final on their home ground Ratpack?

Been around o and k a long time and never heard of it happening. Pretty confident most people think the same as McMasters.(Just don't have to walk in his shoes.). The lack of common sense within the o and k board is continually astounding.

Too silly for words! Has to be neutral!! GF was once played at Tarra and it was great - leave other finals for neutral grounds. And leave the Whorouly coach out of it - he is 100% correct!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back