Ovens & King FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Having played the top 3 sides now I’m picking Doon and Bright to play off again.. Our boys threw their bodies in hard and put pressure on Greta that they weren’t expecting. Impressed with Kelly, seemed to play a similar game to Jamie Allen tho not quite as slick.

Tips lads

Greta by 250, crawf + Judd combine for 20+ goals
Mountain men touch up Gbat by 100
Milawa by 60
BD by 200+
KV get the choccies by 30

Boring old round tomorrow. Enjoy a beer and some quality time around our great footy communities

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Great insight there, or lack of. Stick to the gv thread bud. Oh wait you went well over there to...
Calling football boring... you should join biglarry76

Having played the top 3 sides now I’m picking Doon and Bright to play off again.. Our boys threw their bodies in hard and put pressure on Greta that they weren’t expecting. Impressed with Kelly, seemed to play a similar game to Jamie Allen tho not quite as slick.

Good to see you are impressed with my man. Been on him since I saw him roll in for some pre season sessions. The man can play, humble character and a great club guy. Blues are tracking well which is great for the league in my opinion!

I know it's a common feeling that the league isn’t looking too good atm . Anyone got any realistic ideas on how it can be revived….

Desperately need a direct junior to o&k pathway for those kids that don’t make o&m 3rds. So many kids getting lost to football after becoming too old for junior league and not being picked in o&m thirds side.
Some clubs are working on it but there’s not much help from aflneb

Desperately need a direct junior to o&k pathway for those kids that don’t make o&m 3rds. So many kids getting lost to football after becoming too old for junior league and not being picked in o&m thirds side.

Yeah very true but the perception these kids have of the O&K isn’t too good either. How can the league raise it’s profile??

Been floated by OKFNL and rejected numerous times by WDJFL in the last 15 years.
Junior comp want nothing to do with travel and association with league outside of wang. They are content to see the kids play 6 years with tigers or college etc then try to make it in the O&M. Failing that they don’t seem concerned with the drop off in participation.

AFL is only really concerned with pathways to the elite level so TAC cup (whatever it’s called now) and Major league U18s is the only attention.

I would love to see WDJFL U12 and 14s play in the same format as currently happens ie in town and minimise travel. Then at U17 level teams migrate to O&K club association.
Keep WDJFL team name but one training and 5+ games per year at ‘home club’. AFL to subsidise some travel costs for parents, and O&K clubs to provide travel options.

Affiliate each O&K club with a junior league team. Responsibilities to provide some travel, training coaching and equipment assistance.

After under 17 best kids can head into town to have a crack at O&M level for final year of juniors if they want. Naturally some of the best U17 kids will already be at O&M level before then.

If kids are associated even loosely with a senior club then the transition to open age football will be better and drop of in participation might improve.

It’s clear that the league has become even more one sided and player numbers are declining since the 5 team junior div was canned around 5 years ago. Even 4-5 kids coming through each year is enough to make the difference regardless of their ability.

Been floated by OKFNL and rejected numerous times by WDJFL in the last 15 years.
Junior comp want nothing to do with travel and association with league outside of wang. They are content to see the kids play 6 years with tigers or college etc then try to make it in the O&M. Failing that they don’t seem concerned with the drop off in participation.

AFL is only really concerned with pathways to the elite level so TAC cup (whatever it’s called now) and Major league U18s is the only attention.

I would love to see WDJFL U12 and 14s play in the same format as currently happens ie in town and minimise travel. Then at U17 level teams migrate to O&K club association.
Keep WDJFL team name but one training and 5+ games per year at ‘home club’. AFL to subsidise some travel costs for parents, and O&K clubs to provide travel options.

Affiliate each O&K club with a junior league team. Responsibilities to provide some travel, training coaching and equipment assistance.

After under 17 best kids can head into town to have a crack at O&M level for final year of juniors if they want. Naturally some of the best U17 kids will already be at O&M level before then.

If kids are associated even loosely with a senior club then the transition to open age football will be better and drop of in participation might improve.

It’s clear that the league has become even more one sided and player numbers are declining since the 5 team junior div was canned around 5 years ago. Even 4-5 kids coming through each year is enough to make the difference regardless of their ability
I don’t get how it’s an AFLNEB issue when it’s a simple matter of recruiting

The O&K had 18/19s and they couldn’t sustain it

An affiliation doesn’t fix anything either because the kids won’t continue on unless they are actually asked.

All it comes down to is people wanting things done for them. Have one representative go down watch junior games speak to kids invite them to training etc create a relationship and move from there.

Milawa has done it very well - and are reaping the rewards. Greta on the front foot with it, King Valley on the front foot as well, by hosting WDJFL games recently.

Tarrawingee a couple of years ago were on top of it as well as North Wang on occasion with permits to see some WDJFL players head out and top up. but that’s dropped off a bit? Why is that the AFLs fault?

I don’t get how it’s an AFLNEB issue when it’s a simple matter of recruiting

The O&K had 18/19s and they couldn’t sustain it

An affiliation doesn’t fix anything either because the kids won’t continue on unless they are actually asked.

All it comes down to is people wanting things done for them. Have one representative go down watch junior games speak to kids invite them to training etc create a relationship and move from there.

Milawa has done it very well - and are reaping the rewards. Greta on the front foot with it, King Valley on the front foot as well, by hosting WDJFL games recently.

Tarrawingee a couple of years ago were on top of it as well as North Wang on occasion with permits to see some WDJFL players head out and top up. but that’s dropped off a bit? Why is that the AFLs fault?
I didn’t read that as blaming the AFLNEB on what’s happening, but more so the WDJFL.

I do agree it’s easy to point the finger but how could you not after all these years of things constantly not working?
I also agree that the clubs you mentioned are doing a fantastic job and I’m sure others are doing things similar.
But that’s only half the battle, shouldn’t everyone be in it for the same reasons?
I just want kids to keep playing footy regardless of where that may be, keep the sport alive regardless of location, talent, score etc.
So for that to be happening clubs like Milawa KV and Greta are definitely on the front foot. The junior league need to stop with their own agenda and start encouraging kids to play anywhere they can after their junior careers finish. The clubs who start making the effort to get the juniors will reap the rewards, and those who don’t have no reason to cry poor.
What’s the worst thing that can happen for the junior league? Because at the moment there doesn’t seem to be much to lose as I think the long term isn’t looking great for most open age football.

I didn’t read that as blaming the AFLNEB on what’s happening, but more so the WDJFL.

I do agree it’s easy to point the finger but how could you not after all these years of things constantly not working?
I also agree that the clubs you mentioned are doing a fantastic job and I’m sure others are doing things similar.
But that’s only half the battle, shouldn’t everyone be in it for the same reasons?
I just want kids to keep playing footy regardless of where that may be, keep the sport alive regardless of location, talent, score etc.
So for that to be happening clubs like Milawa KV and Greta are definitely on the front foot. The junior league need to stop with their own agenda and start encouraging kids to play anywhere they can after their junior careers finish. The clubs who start making the effort to get the juniors will reap the rewards, and those who don’t have no reason to cry poor.
What’s the worst thing that can happen for the junior league? Because at the moment there doesn’t seem to be much to lose as I think the long term isn’t looking great for most open age football.
where is Brent Newton this year?

OKFNL clubs need to sell it to the WDJFL players and families better than what’s currently available.

OKFNL clubs need to be more involved and encouraging to younger players and have the hard conversations for the “future of footy” to move on less than desirable characters being around 16-17 year olds.

The worst that could happen and will likely happen if affiliations are set up? The WDJFL will fall over for the betterment of OKFNL and then the longevity of that competition is then at risk as well.

Do the work. The kids will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s clear that the league has become even more one sided and player numbers are declining since the 5 team junior div was canned around 5 years ago. Even 4-5 kids coming through each year is enough to make the difference regardless of their ability.
I was at North Wang yesterday to watch tigers and centrals, and previously out at Greta to watch tigers vs college.
Both times we ended up staying out and watching the ovens and king seniors and made a day of it. There were great crowd numbers and ticket and canteen sales I would imagine, to help these Ovens and King clubs. I think the junior kids would love being part of a Ovens and king club.

It baffles me that the junior league can't get past their own agenda to bring these leagues together somehow.

The travel thing doesn't make sense to me considering junior teams are already made to travel to Bright, Mansfield and Benalla.

I say, align a junior league team up to an ovens and king team, and have them play same day in the morning leading into seniors (which may have to push back an hour).

I know you said it's been pushed a few times in the last 15 years, I wonder what the rationale about not going forward with it is?

It'll be a sad day when some of these ovens & King teams start folding in my eyes, but I think merging these leagues could be a solution.

Just my thoughts anyway. I think they're shared with a few people I have spoken with.

I was at North Wang yesterday to watch tigers and centrals, and previously out at Greta to watch tigers vs college.
Both times we ended up staying out and watching the ovens and king seniors and made a day of it. There were great crowd numbers and ticket and canteen sales I would imagine, to help these Ovens and King clubs. I think the junior kids would love being part of a Ovens and king club.

It baffles me that the junior league can't get past their own agenda to bring these leagues together somehow.

The travel thing doesn't make sense to me considering junior teams are already made to travel to Bright, Mansfield and Benalla.

I say, align a junior league team up to an ovens and king team, and have them play same day in the morning leading into seniors (which may have to push back an hour).

I know you said it's been pushed a few times in the last 15 years, I wonder what the rationale about not going forward with it is?

It'll be a sad day when some of these ovens & King teams start folding in my eyes, but I think merging these leagues could be a solution.

Just my thoughts anyway. I think they're shared with a few people I have spoken with.
The footy/netball club goes out of existence, followed by the pub. The town becomes a hamlet.

Aflneb @ Aflvic told a meeting pre season quite clearly that the Violet Town U15 side was more important than the Benalla junior sides and subsequently football in Benalla

A few replies, lots of words, but no prior reading it seems. It isn’t up to the WDJFL to change. That league is successful. The OKFNL clubs need to entice and come to the party - sell the league and their clubs to the players.

Changing WDJFL games to OKFNL venues can work to a certain extent - and fairly quickly. But again, that’s a loss of $$$ to the junior club for their home game. Wonder how an OKFNL would react to a lost home game?

A few replies, lots of words, but no prior reading it seems. It isn’t up to the WDJFL to change. That league is successful. The OKFNL clubs need to entice and come to the party - sell the league and their clubs to the players.

Changing WDJFL games to OKFNL venues can work to a certain extent - and fairly quickly. But again, that’s a loss of $$$ to the junior club for their home game. Wonder how an OKFNL would react to a lost home game?
I agree, the WDJFL are successful and don't need to change, they can keep on operating for years to come doing what they're doing.
However, if they actually care about the kids going on with their football - the rate it's going, there won't be much on offer. I think it's definitely both parties that should look towards the future, not just Ovens and King.

Don’t get me started, I’ve watched the O&K slowly die over the past 25 years, used to be a fantastic competition, should’ve never let Rutherglen Beechworth and Chiltern leave, that was the beginning of the end. Any competition without a solid junior structure is on borrowed time, the sad par, there’s an easy resolve.

Don’t get me started, I’ve watched the O&K slowly die over the past 25 years, used to be a fantastic competition, should’ve never let Rutherglen Beechworth and Chiltern leave, that was the beginning of the end. Any competition without a solid junior structure is on borrowed time, the sad par, there’s an easy resolve.

And Glenrowan…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back