Movie Oppenheimer

Remove this Banner Ad

Would happily never watch this again. Overrated. Convoluted for unnecessary reasons. How to make a straight-forward story mindbendy by Nolan. Completely dropped off in form in the last few years. Go back to making awesome movies like Batman trilogy, Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk.

Couldn't disagree more.

Oppenheimer is his best movie, by far.

Inception #2.

The Prestige for mine.

Cases can be made for Memento, The Dark Knight and Inception.

But I don't think Oppenheimer is in this conversation. Too long, too overwrought and imo just not as engaging as those I've mentioned.

1. Inception
2. Momento
3. Batman Begins
4. Dunkirk
5. The Dark Knight
6. Dark Knight Rises
7. Intersteller
8. Oppenheimer
9. Tenet
10. The Prestige
11. Insomnia

Tbf there isn't much between alot of them

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Robert Downey Jr stole scene after scene. I may be mistaken but I haven’t heard much of his name being mentioned as Best Supporting Actor in Awards season.

Should be interesting to see how many Noms this get for Oscars in a couple of week

Having re read the thread now it’s obvious you either like it or hate it

I thought it was fascinating how torn he was by his creation and the creepiness where he steps onto a broken ashen body as he stands before the adoring minions sums up the horror of the weapon

Robert Downey Jr stole scene after scene. I may be mistaken but I haven’t heard much of his name being mentioned as Best Supporting Actor in Awards season.
He won the Golden Globe for best-supporting actor for this role just a few days ago.

He won the Golden Globe for best-supporting actor for this role just a few days ago.

So I just saw; he’s also nominated for the SAG

I endured the whole 3 hours of the GG; so dunno how I missed it

Glad to have seen him make it; things were very grim many years ago for him

Yeah, Downey Jr is the Oscar favourite. That said, while he was very good, I don't think he 'stole scene after scene'. I think Murphy was far more impressive with obviously much more to work with.

Wat? Every single time Strauss was on camera he drew everyone’s attention to what he wanted; RDJr had the lines but go back and look at his eyes, his body, his face and general disposition. From his rants, to his conniving, to his look of humiliation; go back and watch it again, I did yesterday for the first time and was just blown away

Wat? Every single time Strauss was on camera he drew everyone’s attention to what he wanted; RDJr had the lines but go back and look at his eyes, his body, his face and general disposition. From his rants, to his conniving, to his look of humiliation; go back and watch it again, I did yesterday for the first time and was just blown away
I think I need to go back and re watch this and take more note of Downey. I'm a big fan of his Work, he's just a good dude. Hope he wins the Academy Award.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewatching at home, realising it's my favourite Nolan movie pretty easily.

I find the whole story of Oppenheimer's personal history within the political climate at the time, with the paranoia around communism creeping in, super fascinating. It's obviously a massively important historical moment, and the story of the scientist who created the bomb is a really interesting lens to look at it through.

I thought the Nolan style of jumping around of the timelines was expertly done, and wasn't particularly difficult to follow. You still have a sense of the beginning, middle and end of the story. The clips from different time periods I think only enrich it by providing context, intrigue, or simply explaining what is happening.

The last hour does require a re-set. The stakes are considerably lowered and it is basically a new movie. I felt the steam go out of it when I first saw it, but the fact that it pulled me back in and got me invested in the mini courtroom drama speaks to how effective it is.

All the little visualisations of stars exploding and the atmosphere catching fire etc were so epic on the big screen, a bit of that magic is lost at home. I am appreciating RDJs performance more the second time, he is really going for it.

Rewatching at home, realising it's my favourite Nolan movie pretty easily.

I find the whole story of Oppenheimer's personal history within the political climate at the time, with the paranoia around communism creeping in, super fascinating. It's obviously a massively important historical moment, and the story of the scientist who created the bomb is a really interesting lens to look at it through.

I thought the Nolan style of jumping around of the timelines was expertly done, and wasn't particularly difficult to follow. You still have a sense of the beginning, middle and end of the story. The clips from different time periods I think only enrich it by providing context, intrigue, or simply explaining what is happening.

The last hour does require a re-set. The stakes are considerably lowered and it is basically a new movie. I felt the steam go out of it when I first saw it, but the fact that it pulled me back in and got me invested in the mini courtroom drama speaks to how effective it is.

All the little visualisations of stars exploding and the atmosphere catching fire etc were so epic on the big screen, a bit of that magic is lost at home. I am appreciating RDJs performance more the second time, he is really going for it.

Well said

It reminded me a lot of when I saw JFK for the first time

Should be interesting to see how many Noms this get for Oscars in a couple of week

Having re read the thread now it’s obvious you either like it or hate it

I thought it was fascinating how torn he was by his creation and the creepiness where he steps onto a broken ashen body as he stands before the adoring minions sums up the horror of the weapon

And so he deservedly won!

I think this is really going to divide opinion.

I loved the performances, the tension, the creativity of some sequences. The use of jarring sound was really cool.

But I also felt a lot was crammed in and going on and at times it was a bit hard to follow. I wanted it to slow down so I could relish in the situations the characters found themselves in. But it never did.

I'd also have preferred it to be a bit more linear.

I liked it, but I don't think I'd see it again, which is a shame. I suspect a lot will love it though. Murphy is brilliant.
Sounds perfect. For me, non linear narratives are by far more interesting than linear ones. Think I'll give it a watch now.

Almost time for a rewatch, probably. Thought it was about a 6.5/10 last year. But now I'll have more of an idea of what is actually going on, hoping the film improves after another viewing.

I thought a good movie..enjoyed it more the second time as I was just in a better mood to enjoy 3 hours.

But still I didn’t rate it as great or didn’t think it had great performances in it. Murphy and Downey were good but nothing stand out especially Downey who I don’t think had that many great scenes or anything particularly memorable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back