Movie Oppenheimer

Remove this Banner Ad

As historical movies go it appears this one has less falsehoods then most of them.
In a way yes, because it gets so much correct, but I feel the falsehoods that exist are rather extreme if that makes sense and that if you add in the 2 realities they ignore, it just makes a enormous difference to the whole story

The movie is very Pro-US and doesnt want to admit otherwise

If anyone is interested in a more detailed movie about the Manhattan Project and the bombings of Japan. Check this video out.

Hiroshima (TV Movie 1995) ⭐ 7.9 | Drama, War

Hiroshima is a 1995 Japanese-Canadian war drama film directed by Koreyoshi Kurahara and Roger Spottiswoode about the decision-making processes that led to the dropping of the atomic bombs by the United States on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki toward the end of World War II. The three-hour film was made for television (Showtime Network) and had no theatrical release.[2]

A combination of dramatization, historical footage, and eyewitness interviews, the film alternates between documentary footage and dramatic recreations. The dramatizations and most of the original footage are presented as sepia-toned images, serving to blur the distinction between them. The languages are English and Japanese, with subtitles, and the actors are largely Canadian and Japanese.

In a way yes, because it gets so much correct, but I feel the falsehoods that exist are rather extreme if that makes sense and that if you add in the 2 realities they ignore, it just makes a enormous difference to the whole story

How is the film pro-USA? Oppenheimer invents the atomic bomb and in the next scene the military bomb Japan. They spared the city Kyoto because one of the men had a nice holiday. Which shows "the bad" USA. Then there's the scene where Robert stands in front of the crowd devastated by the effects of his work, but at the same time is being seduced by the happy clappers. But as an audience you realise the weight and destruction that they have caused, and again this paints the US in a negative light.

Last edited:
I didn't piece who the hell Strauss was until 10 minutes before the ending of the film.

as in Robert Downey Jr?

Great film. probably just falls short of masterpiece. A little too much focus on mccarthism which has been done to death and not enough on the story of nuclear weopans and its implications for the war, geopolitics and humanity. There was some of that definately but it should of been the sole purpose of the story. Probably would of worked better as a Manhatten Project movie rather than an Oppenheimer movie.

Thought the non linear structure worked great. Wasnt hard to follow at all.

i think Oppie grappled with the morals of doing his job vs destruction of people, probably fleshed out in two scenes. One where they spoke about clothes burnt to flesh, the other wiht President Truman.

How is the film pro-USA? Oppenheimer invents the atomic bomb and in the next scene the military bomb Japan. They spared the city Kyoto because one of the men had a nice holiday. Which shows "the bad" USA. Then there's the scene where Robert stands in front of the crowd devastated by the effects of his work, but at the same time is being seduced by the happy clappers. But as an audience you realise the weight and destruction that they have caused, and again this paints the US in a negative light.

There was a scene at the end when Oppie is hoisted upon shoulders of others, or at least was standing on an elevated platform, surrounded by happy people whilst the american flag flapped stoically and rigid behind him.....but on the actors there was not a hair out of place.

hmmmm

Can you elaborate?

The main 3 aspects are

1. He was extremely wealthy and it was a absolute key part of his entire life. From the time his dad bought him out of prison time, to the fact that the people in the military only knew of Oppenheimers existence and situation due to his families wealth, to the fact Oppenheimer had a ton of different people involved in raising him who were involved in getting him into the field because of the slew of babysitters in his life. Not touching on his insane wealth was too much of a omission

2. Germany had no intention of making a atomic bomb. They abandoned their nuclear weapon program very early on. Oppenheimer and co knew the nuclear program Germany had was for energy only cos it was very small. The fact checkers in the media pretend this is fact still for some very odd reason. America went it alone in this

3. Oppenheimer never regretted dropping the bomb nor did he not want the program as well as the hydrogen programs afterwards to continue. He was very pro-nuclear weapon the entire way in his life. Pretending he had some form of regret is a lie

Has a case to be declared Nolan's best work. I unabashedly love Interstellar and TDK remains the personal favourite, but this feels like the culmination of what he's been building towards since basically The Prestige.

Technically, another brilliant achievement, but he extends himself here with the character work. Cillian as Oppenheimer might be the best lead performance from a Nolan film, and there are some real standouts amongst the stacked supporting cast.

The film is very dense, and aside from the broad strokes it's not a piece of history I'm that caught up on. If there's anything holding me back it's how hard I needed to work to stay on top of it, particularly in the third act. Not a criticism, just means that I probably need to see it again.

If Nolan does go through with his dream of directing a Star Wars film all I wish for is that its a prequel trilogy inspired by the Old Republic cinematics. Trying to salvage the trainwreck that Ryan Johnson and JJ left for the next films would truly be close to impossible.

Darth Bane etc would be great viewing as far more powerful Jedi's/Sith than we saw in the originals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure i agree on the wealth point as being important. They dont show him as poor, wealthy or otherwise. Its not really relevant to the story that is being told. Him losing his position is about justice and politics, not about him losing his family home. If it was about the latter the wealth aspect would of been important.

i didnt see the movie as pro american. Its seems to be quite anti american in parts.

they dont show the impact on japan because the point of the movie is that its shown through oppenheimers and strauss view point. I dont think the movie should of done that. But thats what Nolan choose. And from their viewpoints it does not show america in a great light in any case.

Gotta remember this movie is supposed to be through the eyes of oppenheimer. it not a true telling.

Had a couple leave after the bomb dropped and 10-15 minutes into the court/prosecution proceedings. They missed the best part of the film lol
Oh ffs I haven’t read any plot about this and thought the whole movie was about the race to get the bomb created in time with Hiroshima being pretty much the end of the film.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

The trailer promised us a thriller about the making of a giant bomb. We got about 20 minutes of that, sandwiched between two large slabs of talkfest. The science and engineering chat was good but even that was cut with boring political/legal stuff.

There were far too many characters - about 20 scientists, 10 politicians, 5 army/secret service, 5 lawyers, 2 wives. Many of these characters just got a few lines each, even stars like Oldman, Branagh and Malek. It's a movie not a documentary. Better to focus on a few main characters that the audience can relate to.

Murphy was competent in the lead role role without displaying much range. Downey Jr put in a good performance but his character was unlikeable. In fact, I didn't care about any of the characters. I cared about the 200,000 Japanese who died but that aspect was given little airtime. And no mention of whether it was a war crime to target civilians.

I'm glad I didn't fork out to watch it on IMAX. Much of the movie was set indoors with pretty much just what's in the trailer worth seeing on a big screen. I found the score grating at times.

6/10

Pretty good. Went last night and brought my father so the fact he stayed awake until 11pm must mean something. Sometimes there was too much going on, needed subtitles with the music overload. Way too many characters, couldn't understand who the hell they were talking about based on name alone but thankfully they'd usually quickly flicker to show who they were. I watched in IMAX but not sure how worth it that was, a lot of the scenes were simply indoors talking. Best part was my dad raging about his WW2 political takes for an hour afterwards.

Movie 7.5/10
Dad politics 10/10

The trailer promised us a thriller about the making of a giant bomb. We got about 20 minutes of that, sandwiched between two large slabs of talkfest. The science and engineering chat was good but even that was cut with boring political/legal stuff.

There were far too many characters - about 20 scientists, 10 politicians, 5 army/secret service, 5 lawyers, 2 wives. Many of these characters just got a few lines each, even stars like Oldman, Branagh and Malek. It's a movie not a documentary. Better to focus on a few main characters that the audience can relate to.

Murphy was competent in the lead role role without displaying much range. Downey Jr put in a good performance but his character was unlikeable. In fact, I didn't care about any of the characters. I cared about the 200,000 Japanese who died but that aspect was given little airtime. And no mention of whether it was a war crime to target civilians.

I'm glad I didn't fork out to watch it on IMAX. Much of the movie was set indoors with pretty much just what's in the trailer worth seeing on a big screen. I found the score grating at times.

6/10

I think its interesting how one person's perspective is completely different to another persons.

RDJ's character in my view was meant to be unlikeable.

The score was grating but I also think that was an intentional move to build greater moments of tension.

I don't disagree though on your point about the amount of characters although I understand why there was so many

Disappointed and confused.

It sucks when you give a movie 100% (no phone usage, pay attention) and it doesn’t land. Felt unnecessarily convoluted and trying to figure out who the * they were talking about at times was damn near impossible.

I think it's a tough movie to go into with little knowledge of Oppenheimer himself, the Manhattan Project, McCarthyism etc. I thoroughly enjoyed most of it and I thought it was incredibly engrossing. I think some people were expecting a different movie, something almost documentary-like or a chronological retelling of the atomic bomb from theoretical conception to the moment it was dropped on Hiroshima.

Those complaining about the movie being pro-US are missing the mark, completely. As Seeds pointed out, it is incredibly deprecating to the US at times. This story is told with the lens of Oppenheimer, the Manhattan Project, his coping mechanisms for creating a bomb that directly lead to the deaths of several hundred thousand people, but may have saved even more.

9/10 for me. Not perfect but lived up to its expectations for me.

I thought it was brilliant myself. Nolan is a masterful director and you can see his passion on the screen.

As it's a film for thinkers and not a superhero, sci-fi type actioner, it's going to get some kick back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back