Movie Oppenheimer

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Surprised there's no thread for this yet.
Oppenheimer looks like it can be something special.
Honestly I'm more impressed by Nolan shooting exclusively in IMAX than any 3D gimmicks from 15 years ago.
Definitely a movie that will drag me to the cinemas which I don't frequent with any regularity (and maybe even to IMAX).
My most anticipated movie of this year.

I'll safely say I don't have that must interest in movies in general. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been to the cinema in the last 5 years, and most of those occasions have been someone else's suggestion. The last time I watched a movie in the cinema was James Bond's No Time to Die.

But I'm bloody excited for this one. I'm a bit of a history nerd and specifically have a keen interest in WW2, the fallout and the subsequent Cold War that ensured. Feels like this movie is made for people like me.

Of course, I'm not totally opposed to seeing Margot Robbie as Barbie later on...

I'll safely say I don't have that must interest in movies in general. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been to the cinema in the last 5 years, and most of those occasions have been someone else's suggestion. The last time I watched a movie in the cinema was James Bond's No Time to Die.

But I'm bloody excited for this one. I'm a bit of a history nerd and specifically have a keen interest in WW2, the fallout and the subsequent Cold War that ensured. Feels like this movie is made for people like me.

Of course, I'm not totally opposed to seeing Margot Robbie as Barbie later on...

You're going for the Barbenheimer?

Let us know if it meets expectations. I'm hoping to go next week when things slow down a bit. I enjoy going to the movies alone but like to go when it's not so busy.

I think this is really going to divide opinion.

I loved the performances, the tension, the creativity of some sequences. The use of jarring sound was really cool.

But I also felt a lot was crammed in and going on and at times it was a bit hard to follow. I wanted it to slow down so I could relish in the situations the characters found themselves in. But it never did.

I'd also have preferred it to be a bit more linear.

I liked it, but I don't think I'd see it again, which is a shame. I suspect a lot will love it though. Murphy is brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is really going to divide opinion.

I loved the performances, the tension, the creativity of some sequences. The use of jarring sound was really cool.

But I also felt a lot was crammed in and going on and at times it was a bit hard to follow. I wanted it to slow down so I could relish in the situations the characters found themselves in. But it never did.

I'd also have preferred it to be a bit more linear.

I liked it, but I don't think I'd see it again, which is a shame. I suspect a lot will love it though. Murphy is brilliant.
accurate.

the movement between time periods confused trying to establish names to faces. but the gist was got.

so many stars. so many of nolans stars.

jarring sound so well put. and then the silence. deafening.

Let us know if it meets expectations. I'm hoping to go next week when things slow down a bit. I enjoy going to the movies alone but like to go when it's not so busy.
This.

I'm going to wait a few weeks, minimum. When it's down to one or two sessions a day, that's when I'll catch it.

Really enjoyed it, three hours didn’t seem long enough and I was pretty engaged the whole way through. Was hard to follow at times but it all tied together quite well in the end. I would recommend to anyone who is even slightly interested.

Last edited:
Hmm might have to have a look maybe next Saturday arvo.
This.

I'm going to wait a few weeks, minimum. When it's down to one or two sessions a day, that's when I'll catch it.
The beauty of our mini cinema is that it's almost never busy, cafe attached is good too.

For a town that is such a small shithole we are so lucky to have the thing.

Really enjoyed it, three hours didn’t seem long enough and I was pretty engaged the whole way through. Was hard to follow at times but it all tied it together quite well in the end. I would recommend to anyone who is even slightly interested.

i needed to pee about an hour in. thought about excusing myself and missing some action but i kept hearing this in my mind

Soldiered on.

In terms of following who's who, i wouldve liked early on when time jumping the characters name appearing for a short time to allow linkage.

Great film. probably just falls short of masterpiece. A little too much focus on mccarthism which has been done to death and not enough on the story of nuclear weopans and its implications for the war, geopolitics and humanity. There was some of that definately but it should of been the sole purpose of the story. Probably would of worked better as a Manhatten Project movie rather than an Oppenheimer movie.

Thought the non linear structure worked great. Wasnt hard to follow at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back