Betstar Champions Cup Om season 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumour has it he will be playing for Yarra if not drafted. Imagine Wheeler x2, Masters, Townsend and Whiley running a muck in the Ovens and Murray, all in their prime age.

Nicco Sedgwick to Lavy
After reading the article, it poses an interesting question. Albury 5 years ago got every recruit they pursued. They have missed on Sedgwick, Wilson,Perryman, Dawson Simpson as well as a couple of others recently. It certainly wouldn't be through professionalism or resources. One theory during a discussion about this last night was that the lack of opportunities they have given locals over their years of dominance resulted in many going bush, and although they continued to make GF's, the reputation of Albury amongst the country clubs these guys went to and the players they played with wasn't a great one. The exclusivity that on one hand helped the cause, actually was working against them in another way, and now when these players are sitting down to make a decision, the bright lights and razzle dazzle is being outweighed by where these recruits see themselves fitting in best. Thoughts?

After reading the article, it poses an interesting question. Albury 5 years ago got every recruit they pursued. They have missed on Sedgwick, Wilson,Perryman, Dawson Simpson as well as a couple of others recently. It certainly wouldn't be through professionalism or resources. One theory during a discussion about this last night was that the lack of opportunities they have given locals over their years of dominance resulted in many going bush, and although they continued to make GF's, the reputation of Albury amongst the country clubs these guys went to and the players they played with wasn't a great one. The exclusivity that on one hand helped the cause, actually was working against them in another way, and now when these players are sitting down to make a decision, the bright lights and razzle dazzle is being outweighed by where these recruits see themselves fitting in best. Thoughts?
I am definitely not a fan of some of Albury’s recruiting where they rape other clubs of their best kids or players like Joel Mackie, Shaun Daly, Michael Thompson, Lonnie Hampton, Travis McLean, Paul Hallandale, Luke and Nick Carroll, Mark Duryea, Matt Shir, Anthony Foubister etc etc
To be fair to them though they don’t get enough credit for the local kids they’ve played of recent years like Elliott Powell, James Grills, Michael Duncan, Fraser Duryea and more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what would your preference be Magnets, play in 10 consecutive grand finals with a core group of locals/recruits who have now become locals. Or 1 in 10 and a small group of bush players think your club is a better destination because they could manage to play regular senior football there...?

I do agree that they have been less proactive than past seasons however now your having a crack at them for not recruiting players. Don’t think it matters what Albury does, people will always try to bring them down.

And I’m pretty sure Dawson Simpson wasn’t sure where he would fit in at Albury...

So what would your preference be Magnets, play in 10 consecutive grand finals with a core group of locals/recruits who have now become locals. Or 1 in 10 and a small group of bush players think your club is a better destination because they could manage to play regular senior football there...?

I do agree that they have been less proactive than past seasons however now your having a crack at them for not recruiting players. Don’t think it matters what Albury does, people will always try to bring them down.

And I’m pretty sure Dawson Simpson wasn’t sure where he would fit in at Albury...
In no way am I having a crack at Albury Relton. What I stated was they had missed some recruits that in the past would have found their way to the sportsgound. I was interested in people's thoughts of why. As I stated, it wouldn't be through lack of professionalism or resources. You can do nothing but admire their last decade. In regards to Simpson, my thoughts would be that he might have found a spot at the first centre bounce😉

If Dawson Simpson wasn’t sure of his role at Albury than the bloke has got no idea..if Albury think they have a better ruckman than him they have rocks in their head.

Bloke should still be playing regular AFL footy in my view

Maybe it’s just a case of recruits wanting to play for a side that’s about to have a premiership window not a side that’s just had a premiership window. If that makes sense

If Dawson Simpson wasn’t sure of his role at Albury than the bloke has got no idea..if Albury think they have a better ruckman than him they have rocks in their head.

Bloke should still be playing regular AFL footy in my view

Yeah sorry I worded that wrong. I meant that I don’t think Dawson Simpson chose another club because he wasn’t sure where he would fit into Albury team, clearly he would have been there #1 ruckman. however for his own reasons he chose another club and that’s good for the competition.

Yeah sorry I worded that wrong. I meant that I don’t think Dawson Simpson chose another club because he wasn’t sure where he would fit into Albury team, clearly he would have been there #1 ruckman. however for his own reasons he chose another club and that’s good for the competition.

It’s great for the competition

Simpson is a great get for Myrtleford,,, no doubt ,,, but at what cost,,, was his player payments well above what other clubs would pay ????
Has Myrtleford gained him employment ,,, I dont know this info ,,, just throwing things out there,,,as there is a fine balance for any club to make these recruitment decisions,,,
On other clubs,, see Corowa/Rutherglen recruiting Castles and Cupido,,, once again at what cost for the players abilities to produce week in week out ?
And what the hell is going on at the once mighty Wodonga Bulldogs ???

Reading on the Northern Footy League thread that two of these recruits will spend the majority of the season overseas. Even if it is for some of the season, it smells of a money grab to fund the trip. Hope for Noth's sake this isn't so. Good luck to local boys with the draft this week. Who would be most likely to be drafted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back