Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

23 members of the Chinese swim team appararantly doping. Not surprised really. This is no difference to the Russia style systematic doping in the past 10 years, not only swimming but other sports as well.. Seriously need to call for a ban on the whole team. Puts into doubt recent swims by Pan Zhanle, Zhang Yufei and Qin Haiyang in the past few years. Maybe they are getting practice for the Enhanced Games in a few years time.
Serious test of the IOC's mettle to go up against a power like China and take strong action.

You know what, I absolutely called this at the time.

Every single Chinese swimmer swam a PB in that race, all four of them.

The times simply did not make sense, called it out at the time with several other poster and got called racist by some.
I didn't realize everyone had done a PB, I knew the lead out swimmer had done a PB.

I was pissed off that we swam Timus lead off, and her time was 1.01 slower than her gold medal win and if she had swum that 200m final time, then we wouldn't have lost to Chinese by 0.94 and the USA by 0.54.

The Chinese 200m final swimmer YANG Junxuan swam 0.64 faster than she did in the final and was lead off against Titmus and she beat Titmus to the wall by 0.14. Ledecky swam last for the yanks was 2.09 seconds faster than Oz's 4th swimmer Leah Neale.

I was pissed off we swam Titmus first and had a poor time and didn't let her race head to head with Ledecky and the Chinese anchor league swimmer. Titmus is a racer.

Dean Boxall on Whateley's show after the Olympics, said that the coaches had planned long and hard for Titmus to lead off and that he wouldn't change that if he had his time again, but admitted that he probably made a mistake with preparing Titmus who had won the 200m the day before (after winning 400m on opening night). He said either he should have let her sleep longer or said he let her sleep too much. I can't remember which one. I'm sure I quoted him from that interview in the relevant Tokyo Olympics thread about which way he said he made the error.

Here is what Boxall said in that interview with Whateley.

He did admit he would change 1 thing for Arnie, to make sure she was faster in her lead off leg.

She had won the 400m and 200m, she was getting tired and after 200m win - he said Arnie have the afternoon off, go have a sleep, relax watch other Oz athletes on the TV in the village. She told Dean she felt like a zombie at 6pm, he told her to go for a walk, have a feed, have another sleep, she did and was ready to go after that. Boxall says he should have gone to the gym and pushed her a bit. He said things he had asked her to do, slowed her down a bit, after she had been moving at such a fast pace. He said his mistake was not to keep her moving.

So the timeline was Wednesday morning she wins 200m, has the arvo off, Wednesday night the 4 heat swimmers swim relay heat, Thursday morning is the final of 4x200m relay.

In their report, Chinese investigators described how many of the country’s best swimmers were staying at the same hotel for a domestic meet in the final days of 2020 and the first days of 2021. Two months after the swimmers tested positive for the banned substance — a prescription heart drug that can enhance performance — Chinese investigators reported finding trace amounts of the substance in the hotel’s kitchen.

Their report offered no evidence of how the drug got there, despite enlisting the help of China’s national police. But they concluded that the swimmers had unwittingly ingested it in small amounts.
WADA confirmed in a statement that it had “carefully reviewed the decision” made by the Chinese and chose not to act after consulting scientists and external legal counsel “to thoroughly test the contamination theory presented by Chinada.”
“Ultimately, we concluded that there was no concrete basis to challenge the asserted contamination,” WADA’s senior director of science and medicine, Olivier Rabin, said in the statement.
In contrast to WADA’s position, the International Testing Agency, a group based in Switzerland that was created after an earlier Russian doping scandal to provide an extra layer of independent oversight for global athletic competition, said its own assessment of the case remained ongoing.
Chinada said in a statement that it determined its athletes had not violated any antidoping laws and therefore it was not obliged to publish any details related to the case without the athletes’ consent.

Yeah nah

From nyt

In their report, Chinese investigators described how many of the country’s best swimmers were staying at the same hotel for a domestic meet in the final days of 2020 and the first days of 2021. Two months after the swimmers tested positive for the banned substance — a prescription heart drug that can enhance performance — Chinese investigators reported finding trace amounts of the substance in the hotel’s kitchen.

Their report offered no evidence of how the drug got there, despite enlisting the help of China’s national police. But they concluded that the swimmers had unwittingly ingested it in small amounts.
WADA confirmed in a statement that it had “carefully reviewed the decision” made by the Chinese and chose not to act after consulting scientists and external legal counsel “to thoroughly test the contamination theory presented by Chinada.”
“Ultimately, we concluded that there was no concrete basis to challenge the asserted contamination,” WADA’s senior director of science and medicine, Olivier Rabin, said in the statement.
In contrast to WADA’s position, the International Testing Agency, a group based in Switzerland that was created after an earlier Russian doping scandal to provide an extra layer of independent oversight for global athletic competition, said its own assessment of the case remained ongoing.
Chinada said in a statement that it determined its athletes had not violated any antidoping laws and therefore it was not obliged to publish any details related to the case without the athletes’ consent.

Yeah nah

From nyt
I wonder how much money it took for Wada to look the other way- even if not bribes then the threat of loss of CCP funding. Either way. all CCP medals from 2020 should be cancelled, Interpol called in and CCP banned from 2024 games.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

MOC beat Titmus by almost 2 seconds in.the 200m final tonight. 1.53.57 to 1.55.38.

Had to double check that MOC set the WR in world champs in Fukuoka last year 1.52.85.

King Kyle won the 100m in 47.63 by almost 0.60 seconds.

The Olympic trials start 10th June in Brisbane and Olympics start 26th July.

Last edited:
I wonder how much money it took for Wada to look the other way- even if not bribes then the threat of loss of CCP funding. Either way. all CCP medals from 2020 should be cancelled, Interpol called in and CCP banned from 2024 games.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This German website below names the 23 swimmers. Some interesting names there and multiple Olympic and World Championship winners - Zhang Yufei, Yang Junxuan, Wang Shun, Yan Zibei, Qin Haiyang, Wang Yichun, Yu Yiting, Wang Jianjiahe, Xuwei Peng, Ge Chutong, Sun Jiajun, Yu Hexin, Fei Liwei, He Junyi, Chen Juner, Zhang Ziyang, Cheng Long, Wang Xueer, Lin Tao, Shen Jiahao, Wang Yutian, Wang Zhou, Zhang Ruixuan. https://www.sportschau.de/investiga...ntworten,wada-china-massendoping-faq-102.html

Duplantis sets a new WR.

4 jumps, cleared at first attempt at 5.62, 5.82, 6.00, 6.24.

Injury will be the only thing stopping him in Paris

RankPosNatNameBestQual. rankQual. pointsSBPB
110SWE
swe.png
DUPLANTIS Armand6.24
WR
28USA
usa.png
KENDRICKS Sam5.82

WR holder Olympic and World Champ Faith Kipyegon, pulls out of the 1500m, no worries for Ethiopian Gudaf Tsegay who record 3rd fastest time in history, a 3.50.30, wins by 3 seconds and bulk of the field is 7 to 10 seconds behind Tsegay.

Aussie Georgia Griffith finished 6th in a PB 3.59.04. Improved her PB by just over a second. Its an Olympic qualifying time and faster than 3rd ranked Aussie Abby Caldwell but can't see her getting on the plane to Paris unless she keeps running faster. She did finish 2nd in Adelaide at nationals last week in 4:03.68 2 seconds behind Jessica Hull. There was a pace maker tonight and I suspect a lot less wind than in Adelaide last week.

Last edited:
Diamond league action

200m

Apparently it's happening
Missed it. Will wait for the youtube to come up, but well done Torrie Lewis, won it in 22.96, just over her PB of 22.94 from Adelaide last week at the nationals.

Helped she is at the end of her domestic season and yanks and euros are at the start of theirs. All other 8 runners have PBs better than Torrie, and 7 by a decent distance.

Kaylee McKeown is currently ranked #1 in the world in 5 events with the fastest times since 01/01/2023.

She won't swim 400IM in Paris, its a bit of fun and the 50 Back isn't and Olympic event. This article has top 5 times by all swimmers in the 5 events.

They might not all last on the Road to Paris, she does have trials in June to improve on 3 of them, but they show how great a form she has been in the last 6 months or so.

It was a terrific performance by Torrie. The 19yo has been competing for nearly 4 months now and probably tiring. Though she was thrilled to get a lane (one of the worst) in a DL. she admitted earlier she was 'a little bit terrifed' with all those women way faster than her - and they should have been faster than her, even in their opening race of the season.

She had a few races in Europe last year but nothing near this calibre. To be running blind in lane 9 until a bunch of women catch you. but then - instead of panicking and losing form - you fight back to take the win over the World 100m Champ is a great feat.

Seems like she pissed off a few of the top women - including Richardson - as they virtually ignored her after the result came up. Only Kambundji of Switzerland gave her a hug and congratulated her.

Torrie's long season so far continues in The Bahamas in a few weeks where she hopes to help our women's relay team guarantee themselves a spot in Paris. Hopefully after that she comes home and freshens up a bit before competing in any more top-quality races. She not only has the Olympics on her schedule, but the World Juniors a week or so after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like she pissed off a few of the top women - including Richardson - as they virtually ignored her after the result came up. Only Kambundji of Switzerland gave her a hug and congratulated her.
I watched the replay and picked that up straight away. Richardson was more worried about her bloody hair than going over and shaking her hand. A very slight nod of the head towards Torrie when the result finally popped up after analysis of the photo.

Kaylee McKeown is currently ranked #1 in the world in 5 events with the fastest times since 01/01/2023.

She won't swim 400IM in Paris, its a bit of fun and the 50 Back isn't and Olympic event. This article has top 5 times by all swimmers in the 5 events.

They might not all last on the Road to Paris, she does have trials in June to improve on 3 of them, but they show how great a form she has been in the last 6 months or so.

It's curious why the IOC are so resistant to hold individual 50m events at the Olympics outside of freestyle.

Too many swimming events as it is now with the introduction of the mixed relays. We don't really need 6 more. Having the 50s in the world champs is compensation for that.
The 50m individual events were at the world champs long before the mixed relay and yet the IOC decided to prioritize the mixed relay as part of the Olympic program.

I see athletics doesn't include an Olympic mixed relay event.

I just think the 50m in all strokes would have represented swimming better. Mixed relay just feels like a novelty event IMO.

The 50m individual events were at the world champs long before the mixed relay and yet the IOC decided to prioritize the mixed relay as part of the Olympic program.

I just think the 50m in all strokes would have represented swimming better. Mixed relay just feels like a novelty event IMO.
there’s a mixed 4x400m unless they’ve dropped it.
it’s an afterthought for most athletes though.

interesting Diamond League results…
our 1500m girls ran really well.
Pete Bol was poor. don’t know why they named him early.
Ramsden DFL. does he even make the team?

World Champs for an individual sport are their own concern, but I agree that at the Olympics there are already too many swimming events. Not too many other sports at the Games - gymnastics the other - where one person can win 8 medals.

The mixed relay came as a result of an IOC push for more mixed events in all sports. Athletics has held mixed 4x400m Championships since 2017 and the event will be conducted in Paris (Australia won't have a team).

World Champs for an individual sport are their own concern, but I agree that at the Olympics there are already too many swimming events. Not too many other sports at the Games - gymnastics the other - where one person can win 8 medals.

The mixed relay came as a result of an IOC push for more mixed events in all sports. Athletics has held mixed 4x400m Championships since 2017 and the event will be conducted in Paris (Australia won't have a team).
Yeah okay. Doesn't surprise me it came from a DEI push.

Where is Joseph Deng? Didn’t appear in Adelaide last week and didn’t appear last night. Think I read he’s injured but there’s not much info on him out there. Will he be fit for Paris?

Bol looked okay for 400-500m last night then completely ran out of steam, to be expected. He’s miles off sadly. His Olympic ticket seemed premature to me.

Though never particularly popular, race-walking often results in medals for Australia.

The World Athletics Team Championships are on today.

Australia took bronze in the first event (U20 10k Team) with Isaac Beecroft finishing 1st individual and setting a new National U20 record.

We have squads in all the U20 & Open team events but doubtful they will medal.

Our best walkers (male/female) are being kept for the 'Marathon Mixed Relay' which ends the programme today - this is a new event and teams (1 man/1 woman) today (we have 3 squads entered) can qualify for the Olympics where it is another new mixed event.

from age
Officials from China’s Anti-Doping Agency (CHINADA) and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) came to the conclusion that swimmers’ samples were caused by contaminated food found on “sink drains, spice containers and cooktop vents” at team accommodation during a camp.

jennifer lawrence gif
What happened to the principal that athletes are still responsible for what they take into their bodies? The "I didn't know" ignorance seems to spply here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back