Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fast swimming this morning in the Aussie Champs.

Kaylee McKeown, Elijah Winnington & Meg Harris (a big PB to beat Mollie O'Callaghan in the 100 Free) were the standouts.

Finals tonight should be good although some were saying Kaylee may not swim the 200IM final.
Are they live tonight?

Some magnificent swims already tonight.

Wasn't expecting many fast times at this meet since most top swimmers are training through it and focussing on Trials/Paris.

But
  • NR to Kaylee
  • PB to King Kyle (non-Olympic event but shows that his hurried change of base/coach doesn't seem to have affected him)
  • Fast win for Mollie O (and another PB for Meg Harris)
  • Winnington & Short both clocking 3-41s in a great 400 Free battle

And a well-rested Arnie Titmus still to race in the 800 Free.

If you want to follow the National Swimming Championships but can't watch it live, then SwimSwam's event page has articles on each session as well as some on individual events. Lots of stats and they give good info on where the really fast times rank, against, other Oz competitor's best times, world fastest ever times and where they rank for 2023-24 period.

Articles are linked on the left hand side and on right hand side there are links to Swimming Oz's event page, start lists, live results, and live stream links both 9Now and Swimming Oz's live YouTube stream.

100 days out from Paris & Gracenote has updated their Olympic medal predictions.

Australia now in 5th (I think we were at 7th in the last one).

Russia not getting an invite, means about the 60-70 medals they normally win will be spread across mainly the top 10 nations. Similar with the 10-12 medals Belarus usually win, as they too haven't got an invite to Paris.

No surprise France are expected to win a lot of gold. France's predicted 28 at a home Olympics compares well to Great Britain's 29 in London and their predicted 55 total also compares well to Great Britain's 65. Japan at home was 27 gold and 58 total.

Great Britain finished 3rd on gold tally and equal 3rd on total tally at their home Olympics and Japan 3rd and 5th (behind big 2 and Russia and GB) respectively.

So France finishing 3rd on gold and 4th on total tally with no Russia, is on track with past history of the home games boost a top 10 nation gets over the last 30 years.

Great Britain's total of 66 compares well with London's 65, Rio's 67 and Tokyo's 64, but I reckon they will win 20+ golds not 13.

Oz's 13 looks 2 to 4 short of what probably will end up happening, especially if our swimmers deliver. The big difference with Tokyo is 7 silvers, which are predicted to be 19 this time. 18 bronze medals is in line with the 22 in Tokyo.

The Netherlands with 18 gold, which is 4th highest is a little surprising but their total of 38 is in line with their Tokyo total of 36 where 10 were gold. Looks like they are expected to step up in rowing, they have 5 current world champion boats in the 14 Olympic events and won only 1 event in Tokyo, and cycling - all events, track, road, cross country and BMX. They also could win 3 or 4 in athletics.

Last edited:
But she does want to swim the 200IM in Paris. From same article I linked in above post.

McKeown, who is keen to add the 200m individual medley to her backstroke schedule in Paris, paid tribute to Rice after breaking another of her Australian records.

On 9Now from 6pm

Been watching it too. Some great swimming and fast times considering they are in heavy training. Stand outs Mollie O’Callaghan 100 free, Flynn Southam 200 free, Liz Deckers 200 fly, Kaylee McKeown 200/400IM, Elijah Winnington 400 free, Zac Stubblety-Cook 200 breast, Sam Short 1500 free, Shayna Jack/Meg Harris 50 free dead heat.

Last edited:
Pencil in the name Rhianna Chen from the DVE Aquatic Club after her incredible swim coming from behind to win from girls four years her senior in the 200 fly AGE final.

Last edited:
AS far as a good tune up goes ahead of Olympic trials even Kaylee McKeown’s coach was surprised when she clocked a sizzling 2:06.99 in the women’s 200m medley to break the 14 year old national record set by the great Stephanie Rice. As if that was not sufficiently mind boggling Kaylee then broke Stephs 400IM national record in a sizzling 4:28.22, the fastest time recorded this year. Was Kaylee ecstatic when asked by the interviewer Megan Nay how she felt that someone had finally lowered Stephs long time Aussie record and had now put herself in the frame to race the 400IM in Paris by contesting the event at the upcoming Olympic qualifiers, “Nope. One and done. That’s me,” Kaylee said thru deep breaths.

Last edited:
Kaylee McKeown will be a big chance to go from 2 individual titles to 4, maybe 5 after Paris.

Ariarne Titmus is a big chance to go from 2 to 4, but the way Mollie O'Callaghan has been swimming, she probably will stop Ariane from winning the 200m.

Emma Mckeon has 2 individual titles from Tokyo but I can't see her adding 2 more, but could well win 4 relay golds. I was surprised when I checked her record, but none of her 20 World Championship medals are a gold in an individual event.

Ledecky will go from 6 to 8. Nobody is going to beat her in the 800m and 1500m.

I don't know what is happening with Caleb Dressel but he has 3 individual Olympic titles. Robert Finkie of USA won the 800m + 1500m double in a surprise result and in the 2022 and 2023 world champs he has won 4 medals in all these 2 x 2 events, of all colours so he is some chance.

Canada's Summer McIntosh probably is the most likely swimmer to add to this list.

At 2023 World champs won 400m IM, 200m Fly, bronze in 200m Free and 4th in 400m free.

She beat Ledecky in an 800m race in Orlando Florida in February first time Ledecky has been beat in an 800m race since 2010. She has also been swimming 100m backstroke and finished 2nd at Canadian nationals.

This list is another reminder of how unbelievably great Shane Gould was at 15 years of age. What could have been if she didn't give it away at 16. She would have run into the drug fuelled East German women in 1976, but I reckon she would have knocked a couple of them off.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As well as the swimming finals from 6pm tomorrow, the first Diamond League begins in China with Aussies able to stream free.

A bunch of Aussies competing and here is an AA preview with event times (AEST):

Canada's Summer McIntosh probably is the most likely swimmer to add to this list.

At 2023 World champs won 400m IM, 200m Fly, bronze in 200m Free and 4th in 400m free.

She beat Ledecky in an 800m race in Orlando Florida in February first time Ledecky has been beat in an 800m race since 2010. She has also been swimming 100m backstroke and finished 2nd at Canadian nationals.

This list is another reminder of how unbelievably great Shane Gould was at 15 years of age. What could have been if she didn't give it away at 16. She would have run into the drug fuelled East German women in 1976, but I reckon she would have knocked a couple of them off.

Gould is impressive in that list. Would have been interesting to see her match up with Babashoff in 1976 who I kinda feel sorry for in 1976 as she got three individual silvers (and a relay silver) all finishing behind doped up East Germans a bit like Raelene Boyle on the track in 1972.

Class trio Ariane Titmus, Elijah Winnington, Kaylee McKeown headlined another thrilling nite of swimming up on the Gold Coast. Arnie pulled off the years swiftest 400 free of 3:59.13 ahead of Lani Pallister's 4:01.75 (PB), to serve notice to her overseas rivals she is not going away.
Arnie was surprised to drop under the 4:00 barrier while “in work” and still eight weeks out from Olympic trials: “I’m really happy with that. I take confidence from it''.

Like the 400m, the 800m free was a ding dong battle between Elija Winnington and Sam Short as the pair went stroke for stroke before Winnington surged in the final 50m to win in 7:43.08. Short was less than a second behind in 7:43.98, the same podium finish as the 400.

Kaylee McKeown, after national records in the 200m IM (2:06.99) and 400m IM (4:28.22), the 22-year-old clocked 27.07 in 50m back, an All Comers Record to continue her amazing winning streak.

Last edited:
Gould is impressive in that list. Would have been interesting to see her match up with Babashoff in 1976 who I kinda feel sorry for in 1976 as she got three individual silvers (and a relay silver) all finishing behind doped up East Germans a bit like Raelene Boyle on the track in 1972.
I saw a 30 minute TV story about Shirley Babashoff maybe a dozen or more years ago.

Like Raelene Boyle she was both a) pissed off about the East Germans, and b) but she took it in her stride and talked about having a lot better life than those kids who were forced to take steroids and other drugs.

Shirley was a bit more public in her accusations of East Germans in 1976 compared to Raelene and has talked about it a bit more than Raelene, especially as about 7 or 8 years ago, a California Senate Resolution was passed, urging that the IOC revisit the wrongs from the East German Doping Era, which meant she was making public comments about it.

The IOC have given her the Olympic Order to try and cover their arse. Boyle hasn't received that one. Johnny Coates and previously Kevin Gosper didn't fight hard enough for her like the yanks.

Also could go in drugs forum

Almost two dozen Chinese Olympic swimmers were cleared to compete at the 2021 Tokyo Games despite testing positive to the same prohibited drug that Sun Yang was once banned for after it was determined they had all been innocent victims of a mass contamination.
The details have been kept under wraps for three years but News Corp can reveal that 23 members of the Chinese swimming team tested positive for trimetazidine at a training camp held just months before the start of the delayed Tokyo Olympics.

Normally, anyone who fails a drugs test receives some type of sanction under the sport’s strict liability policy, which states that athletes are responsible for any banned substance found in their body regardless of how it got there.

Chinese anti-doping authorities (CHINADA) deemed that the results were Adverse Analytical Findings (AAF) – but acquitted all the swimmers without imposing any penalties after finding the positive samples were the result of contamination.

The 30-member Chinese swim team then went on to win six medals in Tokyo, including three golds.

Zhang Yufei was the standout performer, winning two gold medals in one session, first taking out the women’s 200m butterfly title then returning to the pool to help China register a shock win in the women’s 4x200m freestyle relay, breaking Australia’s world record in the process.

This masthead is not suggesting Zhang is one of the 23 athletes that tested positive.

The Women's 4 x 200m relay will see Oz get upgraded to silver as Chinese stripped of gold.

On April 19th, U.S. swimmers were notified that the Chinese women’s 4×200 freestyle relay from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is facing disqualificationdue to a doping violation by a member of the relay.

The disqualification strips the Chinese relay team–which included Yang Junxuan, Tang Muhan, Zhang Yufei, and Li Bingjie in finals and Dong Jie and Zhang Yifan in prelims–of their gold medals. The quartet of Yang, Tang, Zang, and Li swam 7:40.33, beating the United States by four-tenths in a then-world record time (which will also no longer count).

Once confirmed, the disqualification promotes the U.S. team to gold, the Australians to silver, and Canada’s relay to bronze.

MEDAL CHANGES​

ATHLETES LOSING GOLD MEDALSATHLETES PROMOTING TO GOLDATHLETES PROMOTING TO SILVERATHLETES PROMOTING TO BRONZE
ChinaUSAAustraliaCanada
Yang JunxuanAllison SchmittAriarne TitmusSummer McIntosh
Tang MuhanPaige MaddenEmma McKeonRebecca Smith
Zhang YufeiKatie McLaughlinMadi WilsonKayla Sanchez
Li BingjieKatie LedeckyLeah NealePenny Oleksiak
Zhang YifanBella SimsMollie O’CallaghanKaterine Savard
Dong JieBrooke FordeMeg HarrisMary-Sophie Harvey
Brianna ThrossellSydney Pickrem
Tamsin Cook

Last edited:
The Women's 4 x 200m relay will see Oz get upgraded to silver as Chinese stripped of gold.

MEDAL CHANGES​

ATHLETES LOSING GOLD MEDALSATHLETES PROMOTING TO GOLDATHLETES PROMOTING TO SILVERATHLETES PROMOTING TO BRONZE
ChinaUSAAustraliaCanada
Tamsin Cook
Will they do it thou?

On April 19th, U.S. swimmers were notified that the Chinese women’s 4×200 freestyle relay from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is facing disqualificationdue to a doping violation by a member of the relay.

The disqualification strips the Chinese relay team–which included Yang Junxuan, Tang Muhan, Zhang Yufei, and Li Bingjie in finals and Dong Jie and Zhang Yifan in prelims–of their gold medals. The quartet of Yang, Tang, Zang, and Li swam 7:40.33, beating the United States by four-tenths in a then-world record time (which will also no longer count).

Once confirmed, the disqualification promotes the U.S. team to gold, the Australians to silver, and Canada’s relay to bronze.

MEDAL CHANGES​

ChinaUSAAustraliaCanada
Tamsin Cook
You know what, I absolutely called this at the time.

Every single Chinese swimmer swam a PB in that race, all four of them.

The times simply did not make sense, called it out at the time with several other poster and got called racist by some.

Will they do it thou?
I read the story I posted first, just before Port's match so I didn't post it straight away, but I assumed it was happening because it says "U.S. swimmers were notified that the Chinese women’s 4×200 freestyle relay from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is facing disqualificationdue to a doping violation by a member of the relay." and I then looked at that linked story it said;

American swimmers say that they have been notified by USADA that the Chinese women’s 800 free relay from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is facing the stripping of their gold medals due to a doping violation by at least one member of the relay.

I took that as being a definite as USADA did the notifying. But the story that you quoted which I think is from the Herald Sun and then SwimSwam put this article up a bit later during the footy, and quoted from the Herald Sun and it appears to me that this disqualification might not happen.

The Herald Sun reports that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and World Aquatics (then called FINA) were both notified of the positive samples; both agreed the results of the test were caused by contamination and did not sanction any of the athletes who tested positive.

“World Aquatics is confident that these AAFs were handled diligently and professionally, and in accordance with all applicable anti-doping regulations, including the World Anti-Doping Code,” the governing body stated to the Herald Sun.

I read the story I posted first, just before Port's match so I didn't post it straight away, but I assumed it was happening because it says "U.S. swimmers were notified that the Chinese women’s 4×200 freestyle relay from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is facing disqualificationdue to a doping violation by a member of the relay." and I then looked at that linked story it said;

American swimmers say that they have been notified by USADA that the Chinese women’s 800 free relay from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is facing the stripping of their gold medals due to a doping violation by at least one member of the relay.

I took that as being a definite as USADA did the notifying. But the story that you quoted which I think is from the Herald Sun and then SwimSwam put this article up a bit later during the footy, and quoted from the Herald Sun and it appears to me that this disqualification might not happen.

The Herald Sun reports that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and World Aquatics (then called FINA) were both notified of the positive samples; both agreed the results of the test were caused by contamination and did not sanction any of the athletes who tested positive.

“World Aquatics is confident that these AAFs were handled diligently and professionally, and in accordance with all applicable anti-doping regulations, including the World Anti-Doping Code,” the governing body stated to the Herald Sun.
Was the contamination the pill?

Sarcasm

23 members of the Chinese swim team appararantly doping. Not surprised really. This is no difference to the Russia style systematic doping in the past 10 years, not only swimming but other sports as well.. Seriously need to call for a ban on the whole team. Puts into doubt recent swims by Pan Zhanle, Zhang Yufei and Qin Haiyang in the past few years. Maybe they are getting practice for the Enhanced Games in a few years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back