Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
It actually kind of annoys me that I don't follow these sports in between Olympics, but get so wound up during the Olympics. I've always been kind of envious and impressed at how knowledgeable RussellEbertHandball is about these sports, and am disappointed there isn't a discussion to complement the enthusiasm of the Olympics.

The world wide web is at my disposal. But I'd much rather be able to gander in here and keep up to date intermittently. So I've started the thread hoping we can get something going, even if it's a slow burn.

Anyway, the Zurich Diamond League meet happened a few days ago. Nicola McDermott picks up 3rd place (Her, Mahuchikh, and Lasitskene have dominated the podium from the Olympics. McSweyn and Hoare, 3rd and 4th in the 1500 respectively. Gianmarco Tamberi wins the High Jump on his own this time!

Anyway, here...

Programme 2021 (diamondleague.com)

I need to get pay tv / kayo and get Eurosports so I can keep up with the Diamond League - tape it wake up at 7am not 3am and watch it like its live.

Couple of days ago.

Last week

It actually kind of annoys me that I don't follow these sports in between Olympics, but get so wound up during the Olympics. I've always been kind of envious and impressed at how knowledgeable RussellEbertHandball is about these sports, and am disappointed there isn't a discussion to complement the enthusiasm of the Olympics.

The world wide web is at my disposal. But I'd much rather be able to gander in here and keep up to date intermittently. So I've started the thread hoping we can get something going, even if it's a slow burn.

Anyway, the Zurich Diamond League meet happened a few days ago. Nicola McDermott picks up 3rd place (Her, Mahuchikh, and Lasitskene have dominated the podium from the Olympics. McSweyn and Hoare, 3rd and 4th in the 1500 respectively. Gianmarco Tamberi wins the High Jump on his own this time!

Anyway, here...

Programme 2021 (diamondleague.com)
2022 has a lot of world championships in most Olympics sports. This will be a good thread to put stuff like athletics, rowing, track cycling, swimming, triathlons etc world championship results in.

Unbelievable.

Amazing the attention Olympians get during the Olympics, and completely forgotten about straight after. I noticed Drummond's post last week but only liked it now.

This is why I like the thread, just to keep track of things and refer to them later on if needed.

Can you imagine if you told someone that Jessica Fox has won at least two events since the Olympics? I only got this because it came on my Facebook feed.

Jess Fox crowned World Champi... | Australian Olympic Committee (olympics.com.au)

Looks like this is the page is the one to watch the Oz Olympians' efforts between now and Paris.

The UCI world road races were on last week. The Aussie riders didn't do much in the road races, I watched the last 30km or so of both women's and men's races thru Flanders on Saturday and Sunday nights, I missed the Time Trials and U/23 events earlier on in the week, but this was the thread in the Cycling forum about the event.

Kyle Chalmers was on 5AA yesterday talking about swimming in Europe and Doha the last couple of months in the world cup and doing some of his best times, was in Russia for another event. I was pretty sure they were short course events, and he has swum some fast times in 100m and 200m Free and 50m Fly, but I checked SwimSwam magazine's online site and it confirmed they were.

I saw on there this article about Caleb Dressel analysing the 100m final for the first time with them. There was some interesting stuff and this is a cut and paste of some key points he said.

I'm looking forward to him and Kyle going at it again at the world championships in Japan - Fukuoka - in late May next year. They might go head to head in 100m+200m Free and 50m Fly and then there are the relays.

TOP QUOTES
  • “What is this? What is this? Boom. Take an extra stroke and I think I breathed the last stroke into the wall as well. Yeah, look, there’s my breath, head way too long waiting on the side…”
  • “I’ve always said this: if you want to know how to swim the 100 free, swim it like Kyle (Chalmers).”
  • “That’s the earliest I’ve ever put my head down for any race and I felt it. Tempo was a little high and you can tell I’m hurting, but I knew where everyone was at with the field…”
  • “That was my race plan going into this, this wasn’t just like, ‘Oh, I feel someone coming, let me do something I’ve never done before.’ I knew that’s what I was going to do in this race, I knew that’s what it was going to take to get my hand on the wall first…”
  • “I think if I was six one-hundredths slower off the blocks we (Dressel and Chalmers) would have tied.”
  • “Being in the race is what I absolutely love, it’s so fun watching everything you’ve done in practice come forward.”
  • “I didn’t feel like I was ‘the guy’ in this race, it was almost more comforting knowing I was about to get into a dog fight. I think a lot of races are like that for me, I don’t particularly like being, you know, ‘the favorite,’ screw favorites, it’s so dumb, honestly.”
The 100m in Tokyo the difference was 0.06 and the reaction time difference was that 0.60 for Dressel and 0.66 for Kyle.

In the 100m in 2019 World Champs the difference was 0.10, 0.61 v 0.71 and Dressel won by 0.12. The splits are in the article

I thought the UCI Track world champs finished this weekend but my bad, it was last weekend.

Oz only sent a small team of 5 riders because of the travel restrictions and lack oq qualifying races as Annette Edmondson explained in her instagram post below.

The squad, was comprised of Tokyo 2020 Olympians Georgia Baker (TAS), Annette Edmondson (SA), Alexandra Manly (SA), Kelland O'Brien(VIC) and Lucas Plapp (VIC).

Edmondson was the first Australian in action at Stab Velodrome in Roubaix for the Women's omnium. Baker and Manly paired together in the Women's Madison on October 23,

Melburnians O'Brien and Plapp formed the Australian duo for the Men's Madison and O'Brien competed in the Omnium.

The AOC site has a weekend preview of Winter Olympic sports going on in the northern hemisphere and were Aussies are competing.

Last weekends

This weekends. Looks like an Aussie mixed team might qualify for the Curling, which would be a first for Oz.

I will try to post weekly summaries of domestic athletics (just the standout performances).

Events (mainly interclub) have been going for about a month now and there have been two young standout performers.

ELLA CONNOLLY is a 21yo Queenslander who represented Australia already in the 4x400m relay in 2017 World Championships. She looked likely to earn a spot in the Olympic team in January of this year when she ran personal bests for 100m (11.21 wind assisted) & 200m (22.96). She suffered an injury shortly after and only returned to competition a week ago.

She ran a legal 100m PB (11.50) last week but yesterday smashed this with an 11.25 clocking which moves her to #9 All-Time Australian. An hour later she backed up in her usual 400m event (which she hasn't run for nearly two years) and smashed her PB again by nearly 1/2 a second (52.28).

I am hoping she can remain injury-free in 2022 as she would give a massive boost to Australia's 4x100m & 4x400m relay teams at the World Championships & Commonwealth Games as well as whichever individual event she wants to target at these events.

AIDAN MURPHY is an 18yo South Australian who most people have probably never heard of. You are more likely to know his Mum - Tania Van Heer - who was a Golden Girl at the 1998 Commonwealth Games with two relay golds and a bronze in the 100m. Aidan has been on fire the last few weeks, running a wind-assisted 10.20 for 100m - the fastest ever run by a South Aussie. This run was a surprise as he is best known over 400m, where he set a new PB of 47.14 about six weeks back.

But it was his run over 200m last week which gained him most attention. He clocked 20.64, not far off the Australian U20 record which has stood for 36 years. Aidan and his Mum now share a bunch of SA Open, U20, U18 & U16 records over the three sprints.

His focus in 2022 will probably be the World U20 Championships, but with his improvement you can't count him out of at least being a part of Australia's relay teams at Commonwealth Games and/or World Championships.

OLLIE HOARE who made the 1500m final in Tokyo had an indoor race over 5000m a few hours ago in the US. He won with a new Australian record of 13-09.06 which is a World Champs qualifier if he wants to run the 5k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ELLA CONNOLLY is a 21yo Queenslander who represented Australia already in the 4x400m relay in 2017 World Championships. She looked likely to earn a spot in the Olympic team in January of this year when she ran personal bests for 100m (11.21 wind assisted) & 200m (22.96). She suffered an injury shortly after and only returned to competition a week ago.

She ran a legal 100m PB (11.50) last week but yesterday smashed this with an 11.25 clocking which moves her to #9 All-Time Australian. An hour later she backed up in her usual 400m event (which she hasn't run for nearly two years) and smashed her PB again by nearly 1/2 a second (52.28).

I am hoping she can remain injury-free in 2022 as she would give a massive boost to Australia's 4x100m & 4x400m relay teams at the World Championships & Commonwealth Games as well as whichever individual event she wants to target at these events.
Look forward to your summaries.

AA Statistician Taby - David Tarbotton ranked Ella's PB's against the other top Aussie sprinters of the last 50 years.

1638887481029.png

Last edited:
AA Statistician David Tarbotton ranked Ella's PB's against the other top Aussie sprinters of the last 50 years.

Yes, Tarby is right that some of us have been expecting big improvements from Ella in the 400m for a few years now until covid and injuries spoiled things. She could easily take a second off her 400 PB in the next 3-4 months which would move her up that list quite a bit. And early next year she will have excellent competition in Brisbane over 200m from another youngster Riley Day.

The Queensland swimming championships begin tomorrow in Brisbane. Competitors include Olympic stars Ariarne Titmus, Zac Stubblety-Cook, Mitch Larkin and many more.

It will also be interesting to see how recently-reinstated freestyler Shayna Jack does.

Sadly Kyle Chalmers has done his shoulder and will not be competing in the World Short Course Championship. He is expecting to undergo another surgery.

Main athletics results this weekend were a huge PB over 400m for AIDAN MURPHY who I mentioned last week. Long Jumper Chris Mitrevski also ran a swift 100m (10.21w) which augers well for his jumping later in the season. There were a bunch of promising PBs in the Melbourne Marathon Festival earlier today too.

In the Qld swimming so far, Shayna Jack showed she is back at near her best and Olympians Titmus, Stubblety-Cook, Larkin & young MOLLIE O'CALLAGHAN swam well in this morning's heats. It will be interesting to see how they do in tonight's finals and the rest of the meet.

One other swimmer I am interested in watching is FLYNN SOUTHAM. Aged 15, he attracted attention by clocking better times than Kyle Chalmers at the same age over 100m freestyle. He did not compete in the Olympic trials though as he was feeling 'burnt out' and was starting to have some mental health issues because of swimming.

Now 16, he won his 100m Free heat this morning beating Ian Thorpe's Qld Age-16 all-comers record. Anytime someone beats a Thorpe record is still a marker of talent and I'm keen to see how he does in his final.

Caught the last bit of the 5AA sports show this arvo and they talked a bit about Aidan Murphy and his 200m result that AdelaideGT posted above on the 5th.

His old man has worked there for years, so they will be keeping an eye on his progression and will look at interviewing him, maybe this week, or some stage during the summer. If they do I will link any podcast they put up.

20.64 ranks him about 29th all time male Oz runner and about 5th for Oz U/20 times. The record is 20.48 as per cut and paste from this list of all time Oz performances. Aidan turned 18 on 31st of October

Aust U20 20.48 3-Feb-85 Brisbane Fred Martin NSW 4-Oct-66

Ok did some more detailed research last night on Aidan Murphy. First I looked up the top 200m times by AA statistician Paul Jenes, then this year's rankings, and Murphy's 200m time of 20.64 on 27th November ranks =29th fastest Oz male, 3rd fastest U/20 time, and fastest time by an Oz male in 2021. 2nd fastest is 20.73 and Rohan Browning ran a 20.77 in January.

The list below is now the U/20 top 3 times, all 3 guys were just over 18 years old .

PERFORMWINDNAMEASSDOBPLACEVENUEDATE
20.48+0.5Fred MartinN04.10.661Brisbane3 Feb 1985
20.490.0Darren ClarkN06.0.9651Sydney12 Nov 1983
20.64+2.0Aidan MurphyS14.10.031Adelaide27 Nov 2021

Looking at his 100m time 10.20 he ran with a tail wind of +3.4m/s on 6th November, 7 years ago when a 16 year old Jack Hale ran a 10.13 with a +3.4 wind and Rohan Browning was in the race, I cut and pasted the following from a Track and Field News message board thread, in the Jack Hale thread started in the General Sports board in this section of the forums ie Cricket and More sports.

El Toro reckons its 10.29 and did the calculation for other kids in the race and an U-16 race. This was an U-18 races so you have 16,17 and 18 year olds running in it. (Browning was 17 and is 6 months older than Hale).

http://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...Australian-Results-News-and-Views-2014/page11
Adjusted times:
Hale 10.13 +3.4 = 10.29 0.0
Gallaugher 10.58 +2.2 = 10.70 0.0 ** A 14 year old who ran in the U/16's a few minutes earlier
Browning 10.18 +3.4 = 10.34 0.0
Williams 10.33 +3.4 = 10.49 0.0

So Murphy's run a couple of weeks ago was about a 10.36 with a 0.0 wind and about a 10.26 time with a +2.0 wind. Only Browning -15 times and Jack Hale once, have run a legal time under 10.26 this year.

If you look at 100m times run by Australians in 2021, Browning has run two faster illegal wind times of 9.96 and 10.08, 10 faster legal times and 2 legal 10.20's, but that's throughout the whole year and around the world. Jack Hale ran a 10.21 in Canberra in February and an illegal +3.0m/s 10.22 in the Gold Coast in June.

Then he runs a 46.31 new PB in 400m of the 11th December which makes him the 5th fastest individual Oz 400m runner in 2021.

It all gives a good perspective of where an 18 year old kid who considers himself a 400m runner at this stage sits among his peers. It will be interesting to watch him develop in the lead up to Paris, and see if he improves his 400m times at the rate he is improving his 100m and 200m times.

He could get a relay spot for Birmingham Comm Games and maybe the World Champs in Eugene 2 or 3 weeks before hand if Oz qualify a team. Oz ranked 21st and didn't qualify as a top 16 relay nation for Tokyo and also missed 2019 World champs in Doha with a ranking in the low 20's.

f you look at 100m times run by Australians in 2021, Browning has run two faster illegal wind times of 9.96 and 10.08, 10 faster legal times and 2 legal 10.20's, but that's throughout the whole year and around the world. Jack Hale ran a 10.21 in Canberra in February and an illegal +3.0m/s 10.22 in the Gold Coast in June.

Jake Penny ran a legal PB of 10.23 in Melbourne last night, so he's another putting his hand up for (at least) Comm Games relay selection.

Olympian Hana Basic also opened her season with a PB over 200m, though she has work to do if she wanted to run this event internationally. She hadn't run a 200m race for four years and her PB was from junior days in 2013.

Some good results from around the tracks today, especially in Sydney & Brisbane where conditions were ideal.

Ella Connolly continued her good sprinting form in Brisvegas winning the 100m in fast time. But it was 2nd placed Torrie Lewis, just 16yo, with a time of 11.33 in second, who caused a bit of a sensation. She ran the 3rd fastest U18 time in the world in 2021 and after 53 years, Raelene Boyle's longstanding Australian U18 record of 11.20 may be under threat in 2022.

Lot of other young sprinters ran quick times today which is a good thing for our World Junior squad next year.

The Oceanian Decathlon Championship also commenced in Brissie. Though stars Ash Moloney & Cedric Dubler aren't competing, 3rd ranked Daniel Golubowic set 4/5 PBs in individual events on Day 1 and leads the comp. Hopefully a similar performance on Day 2 can earn the former American a place on his first Australian team for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back